Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Mentally Frozen
28,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doctors report hydroxychloroquine has over 90% chance to cure coronavirus patients – Media and Dems not happy

·
Make It So!!
3,243 Posts
Few things so that you know who you are actually quoting and how silly the argument is.

1) AAPS is a fringe organization masquerading as a legit physicians' organization. This organization also believes that HIV is not the cause of AIDS, among some of their wacky beliefs.

2) At diagnosis (ambulatory patients), COVID patients as a group has a greater than 99% survival rate WITHOUT any COVID-specific treatment. Meaning, giving Skittles to every COVID patient at diagnosis will result in greater than 99% cure/survival rate. So, since this group is advocating giving HCQ to every COVID patient at diagnosis, they are actually advocating a treatment that is doing WORSE than Skittles. Think about that for a second.

·
Señor Member
8,221 Posts
My fish tank cleaner has this as the active ingredient... lemme see how it does.

·
Señor Member
8,221 Posts
2) At diagnosis (ambulatory patients), COVID patients as a group has a greater than 99% survival rate WITHOUT any COVID-specific treatment.
How widespread is this information to the public/.gov?

·
NRA Life Member
66,479 Posts
Never mind

·
Make It So!!
3,243 Posts
How widespread is this information to the public/.gov?
It's long been the consensus in the medical and scientific communities that COVID death rates in an intact healthcare system in the general population as a whole is less than 1%. Yes subgroups of the population will have varying death rates based on preexisting risk factors/conditions.

Problem with AAPS and other media-political groups are using HCQ to make political points rather than paying attention to what is actually happening:

Yes, HCQ is being used judiciously all around the country by frontline doctors. It is not a magic drug nor a game changer, but it has its place and is being judiciously used, among other treatments (some more effective/promising in clinical trials and real life uses).

Just like we don't just choose one single antibiotic to treat bacterial pneumonia and call it a game changer, we use what is appropriate for the situation at hand based on available studies. HCQ is no different - it's appropriate for some, not for others, and frontline doctors have been using it judiciously. The difference here is, HCQ has gained "celebrity status" due to politicians and media personalities and is being used as a political weapon. There have been several other treatment options that have arguably outperformed HCQ in recent studies... can you name a few of them? Probably not because they don't have celebrity status or political value.

·
Señor Member
8,221 Posts
It's long been the consensus in the medical and scientific communities that COVID death rates in an intact healthcare system in the general population as a whole is less than 1%. Yes subgroups of the population will have varying death rates based on preexisting risk factors/conditions.
This is the first I have "officially" heard of this, although I've long suspected this to be case, and I wouldn't be surprised if 1% is the upper bound for the death rate.

I am not a doctor or a public health "expert", BUT I would find it much more helpful if the government would publish the data and use it to make these decisions. I look at death rates for the older crowd, and they're on par with CDC's "bad flu" numbers, and even better for younger people, but of course to say this risks being put in the "it's just a bad flu conspiracy camp".

Current climate of decision making - if anyone is at risk, no one can do anything OR open things and you're willing to kill grandma. Of course those trying to open do nothing to help themselves by not sharing and using the data, but if they did they'd still be painted as willing to kill grandma for $$$.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts