GlockTalk Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I've been selling in the medical areana for 30 yrs and we are definitelly over screening which is adding big bucks to the overall healthcare costs. But I'm good with that, I make big bucks when doc's screen annually even though their professional guidelines say to screen every 3 years! How else could I afford my boat and diesel pusher????

·
Retired Member
9,202 Posts
Where does that doctor get his or her information? They read studies and they take the recommendation of groups of medical professionals and statisticians, right?

Some still use their instincts, trust their gut, and weigh all that against what they know about the patient's insurance company.

My ex's doc dismissed her out of hand, and her own father urged her to ignore it. But I wouldn't let it go...

I dragged her to my doctor.

It was cancer. And it took considerable surgery to remove it. That was 1984, and she's alive and well, and meaner than hell today...

I see what others see here, RATIONING.

By the bye, last night we watched one of the features on a Horatio Hornblower DVD (outstanding stuff!)... Many Brits were interviewed, including a current Royal Navy ship's captain... My God, his teeth were awful! As were the teeth of most of the older gentlemen interviewed! I see SOCIALIZED MEDICINE, I see RATIONING...

--Ray

·
NRA-GOA-TSRA
2,219 Posts
I dont think orthodontics are rationed in the UK, they either don't place the same value on straight teeth as we do here or they can't afford it (i.e., they CHOOSE to spend their money elsewhere). What health care plan over here covers braces aside from medical necessity? My folks ponied up the cash for us. I ponied up the cash for my wife.

BTW, I work in the lab so about 99% of all "Screening" medical therapies involve me in some way, be it screening pregnant mothers for fetal birth defects, screening babies for blood abnormalities like sickle cell, screening adults for colon polyps or cervical dysplasia, or breast biopsies after mammographic screening.

I would MUCH rather make my money on "pointless" screening than diagnosing patients with end stage disease. Is it expensive? Sure. But you can pay for a lot of screening tests with the money you would spend taking care of one terminally ill person. Which would you rather be?

Find me a bunch of folks who never go to the doc, live their lives, and then happily kick off when they get struck by a potentially preventable disease.

·
Banned
62,270 Posts
I dont think orthodontics are rationed in the UK, they either don't place the same value on straight teeth as we do here or they can't afford it (i.e., they CHOOSE to spend their money elsewhere). What health care plan over here covers braces aside from medical necessity? My folks ponied up the cash for us. I ponied up the cash for my wife.

BTW, I work in the lab so about 99% of all "Screening" medical therapies involve me in some way, be it screening pregnant mothers for fetal birth defects, screening babies for blood abnormalities like sickle cell, screening adults for colon polyps or cervical dysplasia, or breast biopsies after mammographic screening.

I would MUCH rather make my money on "pointless" screening than diagnosing patients with end stage disease. Is it expensive? Sure. But you can pay for a lot of screening tests with the money you would spend taking care of one terminally ill person. Which would you rather be?

Find me a bunch of folks who never go to the doc, live their lives, and then happily kick off when they get struck by a potentially preventable disease.
Jason - If you have a young girl turn sexually active at 13, go through a few partners and have an ASCUS PAP at 18, is that good information to know? What does it tell you?

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Well that and the fact that so many clinics have purchased equipment that they need to pay off.
Keeping in mind that many doctors are the partners in the clinics... at least around here. Talk about double dipping... :whistling:

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Congresspeople, senators, and the President all get their choice of the same health plans as every other federal government employee. I think most of them get Blue Cross Blue Shield.

My health insurance is probably better than that of most Senators.
You forgot to add this :rofl:. Geez for a moment I thought you were serious. Thanks for the laugh.

·
Retired Member
9,202 Posts

You inferred orthodontics... Let me elaborate...

This Royal Navy captain's teeth were chipped, broken, and brown... The US Navy folks interviewed in the features of last night's DVD (we're working through the Hornblower series) had no such awful teeth. I'm thinking regular dental care for our people and none for the Brits, if I choose to trust my eyes... :freak:

--Ray

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
You forgot to add this :rofl:. Geez for a moment I thought you were serious. Thanks for the laugh.
Why wouldn't I be? It's true. The company I work for regularly comes in #2 on the list of "Best Companies to Work For" and my benefits are spectacular. Congressfolk buy their health insurance through the same group plan that any other federal employee does. They have to pay, too.

Link

·
Registered
2,920 Posts

·
NRA-GOA-TSRA
2,219 Posts
Jason - If you have a young girl turn sexually active at 13, go through a few partners and have an ASCUS PAP at 18, is that good information to know? What does it tell you?
ASCUS at that age is pretty insignificant, it could be inflammation or an infection she will probably clear. The lab should do a HPV test to confirm the presence of high risk HPV. At that point (if it is positive) her GYN may go ahead with a colposcopy and take samples of suspicious areas but will probably just observe. HPV progresses very slowly and is often cleared. This is why they are recommending screening at 21, anything earlier just isn't clinically significant, particularly with the teens now getting the vaccine. In 20 years we may not routinely do paps at all, relying only on the HPV test, which would put a lot of cytolotechs and cytopathologists out of business. Of course the pap smear still screens for certain infections and endocervical and endometrial lesions so they may keep it around even though cervical cancer may be eradicated.

·
Banned
62,270 Posts
ASCUS at that age is pretty insignificant, it could be inflammation or an infection she will probably clear. The lab should do a HPV test to confirm the presence of high risk HPV. At that point (if it is positive) her GYN may go ahead with a colposcopy and take samples of suspicious areas but will probably just observe. HPV progresses very slowly and is often cleared. This is why they are recommending screening at 21, anything earlier just isn't clinically significant, particularly with the teens now getting the vaccine. In 20 years we may not routinely do paps at all, relying only on the HPV test, which would put a lot of cytolotechs and cytopathologists out of business. Of course the pap smear still screens for certain infections and endocervical and endometrial lesions so they may keep it around even though cervical cancer may be eradicated.
The HPV test you're running has a horrible false-positive rate and terrible PPV. I still can't believe its the FDA darling. Couple that with the fact that (90-ish%) of will resolve on their own and you end up with a whole lot of unnecessary colpos. Now, I realize that works against my own argument, but.......

What it tells you is that the kid is engaged in high risk behavior, no matter what she says, and needs to be followed closely. Mom having to take the kid in for followup generates awareness and starts a conversation that needs to happen.

·
Retired Member
9,202 Posts
My wife works for a major medical lab (largest in the country) and she tells me they make nothing on Pap smears—they're a "loss-leader", like that .99 cent bread at the grocery store. Competition between labs is intense... By the bye, we also have great medical insurance—including dental.

--Ray

P.S. Oh, and here's an article about the poor average dental care in the UK...

"But if you have bad teeth, forget it. ...your gums may be riddled with disease...but the NHS doesn't have to help you."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/...553839/Bad-teeth-the-new-British-disease.html

41 - 53 of 53 Posts