close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Doctor Optics Red Dot on Glocks

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by rotorblade, Dec 24, 2005.

1. rotorblade

rotorblade

I have seen pictures here and on other sites that show some glocks with Dr. Optics Red Dot Sight Mounted to the top of the slide. But its not mounted to the slide via the dovetail its sunk into the gun. They Cut away material in the top back section of the slide and monted the sight down low ( I think it was on a Glock model 21).

I have not been able to fnd these pictures again or the post on the website so I could ask the people who did the cutting?
    How is the sight mounted into that cut-away area?
    How hard was it to mount it.
    What holds the sight into the cut-away?
    Generally why and how does it work?? I guess it lowers the sight plane closer to the barrel for more accurracy.

Any info would be helpful.

2. xingr8

xingr8 GreyBeard

3. ColoradoGlocker

ColoradoGlocker Former Member

4. rotorblade

rotorblade

Thanks ill givem a call Monday. So I still will have to by a mount for the dovetailed rear sights on a glock or does that come with a standard model Doctor Red Dot. Ive heard some of the screws used to hold the dovetail down are kinda weak not very strong. Any Truth.

5. xingr8

xingr8 GreyBeard

I have no first hand experience with with Docter sights or J-Points, I have just been looking into them myself. I think the compliants about the screws are about the setscrews that hold the dovetail in place. They are quite small because of the small size of the dovetail itself. If you have a slide machined to accept the sight, the screws that hold it down are the ones that would hold the sight to the mount. I believe there are also positioning pins to help hold the sight in place. The mount is not used if you have the slide machined.

6. gator378

gator378 Gator378

I have a J Point mounted on my Glock 20. An old Tasco Optima 2000 on the the Glock 21. The mounts for both fit into the Dovetail on the slide. The J Point mount is better that the old Tasco mount, but they both work. I never had a set screw come loose yet and I only use the "Blue" loctite. The Red dot sights are very effective in all light conditions. Both of my dots art the 7 inch size. 50 yards shots are now easy. They also much faster and accurate that regular open sights.

The JPoint mount now costs about $40.00.