close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Doctor just called...wants to put me on Plavix

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by goatranch, Jan 23, 2012.

1. goatranch

goatranch

Says good cholesterol is slightly low, bad is slightly high. Should I do this? I do not want to be on that.

2. Gasman

Gasman

Make an appointment and have a FTF discussion. Why exactly he feels you need to be on it. What your concerns are about taking it. Go from there. If you are still uncomfortable, get a 2nd opinion. It's a medication you would probably be on for the long term, so inquiry is worth while. However, if the benefits outweigh the risks, it may be the better choice. No one likes to have a stroke or a heart attack.

3. Shinesintx

Shinesintx

Have you even tried diet and exercise? If not, try it...first.

4. Dinky

Dinky Numpty

I just came off of it after 2 1/2 years after a heart attack. Have been on Crestor for 2 years and it has brought my cholesterol back into normal range. I would about Crestor or.some other drug like.that first.

5. goatranch

goatranch

Thanks guys. Yes the reason I do not want to start is being on it long term. I am over weight by about 55 pounds. I do not smoke, do not chew (quit one year ago), do not drink. No history of heart disease. I'm 48 weigh 265, 6 foot tall.

No I don't want to have a H/A BUT is slightly elevated that risky?If I smoked and/or had other risk factors I would say absolutely.

6. goatranch

goatranch

Whats the difference in those two drugs???Plavix and Crestor.

7. Rick O'Shay

Rick O'Shay

Side effects of pravachol (the one I take) includes possibility of leg pains, dizziness, etc., etc.
    I would consider it if the data indicates that it's necessary. But "slightly high" or low would not cause me to go on meds. SIGNIFICANTLY high or low, now that's another story entirely.

8. Pierre!

Pierre! NRA Life Member

I agree - Face to Face or 2nd opinion for sure!

My understanding is that Plavix keeps the red blood cells slippery - so slippery at times it can lead to leakage in extremities - My Mom has been on Plavix for at least 10 years and her hands look like she just got done punching the stuffing out of someone - they look so bruised up!

I would understand a Statin for Cholesterol maintenance...

Keep in mind that your Family History enters into this pretty heavily! How old you are, and how old your parents are, or were when they passed, and WHY they passed may have alot to do with your doctors thinking.

Check out - and here it comes again :cool: - the book "Prevent And Reduce Heart Disease" by Caldwell B. Esselstyn M.D. and see what you might be getting into.

If I had not been coming off of morphine and a pretty sleepless night I would have had a second opinion when I was in the middle of my Heart Attack phase... but I was over 80% blocked in the LAD vessel, so it's probably best I *didn't* think about it for long! :rofl:

If you have some reaction time, the book may help you make intelligent decisions that will have MAJOR ramifications on your future...

Keep in mind - there is ZERO information on the Internet about 'How to remove a STENT'... cause you CAN'T! But you CAN ByPass it... and you don't want that either!

Get with your doctor, see why he thinks Plavix is the way to go VS 81Mg Aspirin or other therapies.

Good Luck, and We'll be prayin for you GoatRanch!

Patrick
    PS - visit the site I linked, and choose the 'Media' tab, and watch the video that is 1 hour long... a real eye opener, and you will have some great info to bring you up to speed when you talk to your Doc!

9. goatranch

goatranch

So many thanks guys. I was thinking maybe these docs some times just jump to put you on things. And in certain circumstances they should but slightly elevated...No IMO!

10. muscogee

muscogee

I was put on Plavix 3 years ago after having 4 coronary stents. The Plavix keeps blood from clotting around the stents and causing blockage. As far as I know, it has nothing to do with LDl or HDL. I bleed easier and have mild heartburn, but nothing I can't live with.

I am 6'4" and prior to the stents I weighed 305. My LDL was high, my HDL was low and my triglycerides were off the scale. I retired and started riding a bicycle. I am now up to 60 miles per week. I'm down to 250, my lipids are within range, and by triglycerides are below normal for the first time in my life. I had a cardiac catheter a few weeks ago and my arteries were all clear. That means less than 50% blockage anywhere. It was actually 0 to 20%.

I suspect any exercise you can do for 30 minutes a day or more, three days per week or more will help you more than Plavix. I started walking and gradual built up.

11. Mr981

Mr981

Good advice; try diet and exercise first-- you can always go the med route if those two don't do the trick.
    Have a BIL that's been on Lipitor for years and he is just now dealing with the muscle pains that goes with it--not much fun. Do a lot of research on any of these drugs for side effects before getting into it.

12. JMS

JMS 02

Check out South Beach Diet for an easy way to get your numbers in check.

13. TexanRon

TexanRon Come 'n Take It

Did you misunderstand the drug name? Plavix is not, in any way, used for cholesterol management. It is typically used post-stent to prevent blood clots/strokes. It is an anti-platelet drug, not for lipid management.

14. Bill Keith

Bill Keith

Plavix is not available in generic. It will cost much more than an equally effective statin drug such as pravachol. My understanding is that Plavix is generally used to prevent clotting after heartattacks. A baby aspirin (81mg) is also used for this. There is not much research to show that the newer cholesterol drugs are any better than the older drugs (that are now generic). Doctors get REGULAR visits by drug company salesmen and these wh**es for big Pharma ALWAYS push the latest because of profits - not necessarily for what is best for patient care. For instance. A study was released a few weeks ago that showed that close to 50% of women placed on Lipitor went on to develop type II diabetes wheres the control group (not receiving Lipitor) had nowhere near that incidence of being diagnosed with type II diabetes.:faint:

15. plasticslap

plasticslap

That's what I was wondering too. My guess would be he'd need an aspirin daily before he needed Plavix unless there was a stent.

16. plasticslap

plasticslap

Your doc needs to put you on a statin for your lipid management. Simvastatin and the like for something like this. Any past medical history involving any type of coronary interventions or abnormalities? Stents, CABG, or a. fib? If not you need little more than a baby aspirin. I highly doubt you were discharged without some anti-coag therapy if you had an MI.

I'm a PharmD resident, in case you were wondering why I asked so many questions. It's what I'm trained to do.

17. plasticslap

plasticslap

As terrible as the 48% increased risk sounds, it's actually more like 9.9%. That 48% was hazard ratio. So 148% increase of incidence from baseline( placebo) of 6.7% is 9.9%. Overall a 3.2% increase. We could rip apart that article all day and see how it really stacks up but I don't think half the people here would understand it. Statistics are tortured numbers. Torture the numbers and they will confess to anything.

18. windplex

windplex

talk to your doc. understand why he prescribed which med.

write down all your questions ahead of time and go from your list. bring someone with you if you can to listen and ask questions.

im on plavix and i bruise easier than a ripe peach. and i bleed much longer too. and yes im on cholestorol meds as well as another heart med as well as aspirin. have my weight in a very good range and work out frequently and eat well. however these make meds make sense for me after 2 stents.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  19. windplex

windplex

Musciogee,
    what you've done is impressive! Congrats! brian

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  20. skeeter1959

skeeter1959

Been on Plavix since my bypass in 2001. No issues. I would not wish a heart bypass on anybody.