close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Doberman or Bullmastiff?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by SundevilFan, Jan 2, 2010.

1. SundevilFan

SundevilFan

Hey all,

We are experienced dog owners and have owned a doberman in the past, but never a bullmastiff. Loved our doberman, but have always wanted to try a bullmastiff. We have luckily found a "european" line of doberman breeder (for those of you who are avid doberman fans, you'll probably know the difference between the american vs. european lines) and are very excited since those lines are the only lines we'd be interested in. In fact, both the male and female were imported to the states to help improve the breed's medical issues here in the US.

My question is, are there any members here that have owned both breeds? If so, I'd love to hear from you. We currently have a mixed-breed mid-sized dog we rescued from the local shelter. She's approximately 8 years old now and has been a wonderful dog. We'd like to find her a friend since she's still very active. My wife and I love dogs and are torn between a high-energy dog and a low-energy dog (doberman vs. bullmastiff). We are just looking for a great family dog that will provide a measure of security, be extremely affectionate towards our entire family (including kids and other animals) and be a good playmate with our other dog. Not too interested in showing or other types of competitions. So, do any of you have any opinions concerning these two breeds?

2. Isaiah1412

Isaiah1412

My sister has a bull mastiff, she's only 3 months but she is a handful. They have all the tenacity and stuborness of a bulldog, but a lot more energy and strength. I would not call them an "easy" breed, be ready for a dog that wil challenge you on a daily basis, and make your life very difficult if you don't respond appropriately. When I first visited after they brought her home she made it very clear I was in her house, on her couch, and she wanted it back thank you very much (she's more polite to guests now I'm told). Not a dog for pushovers or the faint of heart.

3. JLB768

JLB768 Old & Grumpy Lifetime Member

Never had a Bullmastiff, but we do have Dobies....meet Abby.

[​IMG]

4. TurboRocket

TurboRocket

It's eventually going to happen, so let me be the first to suggest GSD. :supergrin:

Having no ownership experience with either, I'd say Dobie. GSDs and Dobies are among the top for me.

Beautiful Dobie, JLB.

5. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

Give a try to American Bulldog.

6. JLB768

Thank you, she's a good girl.

7. Dbuck

Dbuck

Another dog to consider that has most of the attributes your looking for is the English Mastiff. In my experience they are great with kids and family. They are protective and extremely affectionate. They would also be less of handfull in terms of bullheadedness than the bullmastiff.

8. Henry Krinkle

Henry Krinkle Skeptic

I grew up with Dobermans, so I'm a little biased. Go for the Dobie!

9. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

i would not pick either, there can be only one .... rhodesian ridgeback .

buddy has 2 of them and my cousin has one , i dont like large breeds but one day i will have a ridgey.

10. deadcalm4u

deadcalm4u overkill

beautiful dog. Amazing photo:wow:

11. UTKEngineer

UTKEngineer

Without a doubt, BULLMASTIFF!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She's a small one at just over 90 lbs. She is hands down the best dog I've ever had. Very smart and eager to explore and learn new things. Very affectionate and delighted by even the slightest attention I give her and eager to please. Her energy level is a lot lower than the Dobes I've been around. One walk a day is more than enough to keep her trim and calm. She's not aggressive or territorial in any way. Really, I can't say enough good things about mine.

12. JLB768

Thank you. She's very photogenic, I can say certain things to get her full attention for a pic. Then there's times like below, when I catch her off guard :supergrin:

[​IMG]

When she was a pup...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  13. walkin man

walkin man

My question is, are there any members here that have owned both breeds? If so, I'd love to hear from you. We currently have a mixed-breed mid-sized dog we rescued from the local shelter. She's approximately 8 years old now and has been a wonderful dog. We'd like to find her a friend since she's still very active.

What kind of people are you and your wife? You say that you have an 8 year old dog that you rescued. Now after these years of companionship you are just going to get rid of her. Is this because she is getting old and can't keep up? Or is it that you now have more money and can afford the status symbol dog you couldn't buy before? That old mixed breed dog gave you companionship and comfort and now you are just going to try to find her a home or did I misunderstand your post and you want to find a dog to be a companion to her. I hope this is the case, as otherwise IMO you don't need a dog.

walkin man

14. walkin man

walkin man

Sorry my bad, I went back and reread your post and realized what you are trying to do. Got bent before I should have. I apologize.

Either breed should do well for you, I have owned both and like them each.

walkin man

15. reGlacken

reGlacken

Evidently you have had no problems with dobies; so why change to another breed, especially one as exotic as the bullmastif.

The various breeds do differ, but you are familiar with the dobie; so things should go more easily.

People who have owned both dobies and GSMs claim they are similar.

My fifth dobie is 15 months old.

16. UTKEngineer

UTKEngineer

What makes a bullmastiff especially exotic?

17. SundevilFan

SundevilFan

Wow, very cool responses so far!

My 8 year old mix "pound puppy" is our little girl and would NEVER be given up. Walkin Man, I understand you're passion about dogs in general. We feel blessed to have rescued and brought into our lives such a sweet and incredibly loyal dog. We're not interested in the status aspect, but I appreciate the beautiful lines of a well breed doberman.

JLB & UTKEngineer, you both have wonderful looking dogs! Thank you for sharing pics.

ReGlacken, you're right about being familiar with Dobies, but it's been 13 years since I last had one. I feel lucky to have found a family that is trying to really improve the breed and kinda want to take advantage of the timing. However, there is something about Bullmastiffs I've always loved (even thou this love is from visiting others and never owning one). I thing either will be extremely loyal, loving and serve the purpose of general watchdog duty. My concern is with their energy levels. Once they've entered maturity, my research and discussions with owners leads me to believe the Bullmastiff will be significantly less energetic than the Dobie. Not sure which energy level I'm looking forward to and how that will affect our current dog.:dunno:

Little things about the bullmastiff that have me slightly concerned are: 1)slobbering 2)tendency to be a little on the destructive side especially in adolescense 3)tend not to do as well with other dogs, especially outsiders.

Little things about the Dobie that have me slightly concerned are: 1) barking tendencies being excessive 2) high energy levels which if not kept in check with plenty of excersie may lead into destuctive behaviour 3) difficulty in training against jumping and aggressivness towards outside guests.

18. Spankywombat

Spankywombat

Just remember..... mastiffs are DROOLERS.
    We are very experienced big dog owners (Lab, Dane, GSD over the past 20 years), and I was pretty enthralled at the idea of getting a mastiff .... but honestly the slobber mess is a serious turnoff.
    Also consider an American Mastiff (google it). It is one breeder in Ohio who has crossed an English with something else to tighten up the face and largely eliminate the drooling. We visited her farm.... nice dogs.

19. JLB768

First, thank you. Abby is our second Doberman, we had a male named Bear for 9 years, but had to put him to sleep due to his health. Neither Bear, nor Abby had/have barking issues, had/have destructive behavior, or showed any aggressiveness. When they were pups, and would bark, we'd sternly tell them to be quiet, and they learned to just not do it. If Abby barks now, it's because she's heard something unusual to the norm. Aggressiveness is non existent with Abby, if we are ok with someone that enters our home, so is she.

20. Dbuck

Dbuck

I own an american mastiff. Nice dogs. Mine still drools but not as much as an english mastiff. Very affectionate.