close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Do you use Tactical flashlight for SD at home

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by tongix, Jan 25, 2012.

1. tongix

tongix

I only have the mag lite from Lowes for $ 22 , quite heavy indeed. With that is my Glock 19 at the night stand. Is it worth getting an expensive tac flashlight ?

http://www.surefire.com/E2DL

2. A'boy

A'boy fulla hateraid

Depends.

Personally I have a weaponlight on my G19 and an e2d on the nightstand. I like using both hands on the weapon and/or not having to fumble for a flashlight too in the dark.

3. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

A Mag Lite is the original tactical flashlight, used by the police since it was invented. It's main advantage over a Surefire or similar small, expensive light, is that it can also be used to hit people. In 8 years as a police officer, that's the only impact weapon I ever used (if a shotgun stock and pistol barrel don't count as impact weapons).

4. MO's Dink

MO's Dink Giant Member

Look at the Streamlight Microstream. I have two and they are the handiest, most used flashlights I have.

ETA- And they are only $20 and use AAA batteries which is a huge plus.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  5. MO's Dink

MO's Dink Giant Member

If you only impacted someone with them, I think that counts.:wavey:

6. Agent6-3/8

Agent6-3/8

I have a Surefire G2X Tactical as my primary flashlight. It stays on my night stand when I'm home and if I'm going to be out after dark its usually in a jacket pocket. I've got my old Surefire G2 mounted on my AR.

The new G2X is 200 lumens and is an absolutely amazing light for its size. Puts out more light with greater range than any Maglite I've had and even beat the massive old Streamlight 20X I carried with my last department. The small size makes it much easier to use with a weapon, IMO. This day and age, the only thing big lights are good for is head knocking.

JMO

7. Caver 60

Caver 60

Nope. Just got a 20 buck Wal Mart Coleman 90 lumen flashlight on the nightstand, along with several very handy pistols, and the nearby 12 gage.

8. Knighj1

Knighj1

i love the strion led and rechargeable and their new protac 1l

9. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

yes a Olight M31 is next to bed ...attached to something bigger....

10. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

I've got Surefires all over the house, and mounted on several weapons. When my life might depend on my life, I depend on Surefire. (Yeah, put me in a commercial.) :)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  11. harlenm

harlenm Millennium Member

I have 2 M20's, awesome lights. I have the original warrior premium, as well as the newer M20S-X.

Apparently you can buy updated LED modules for the older lights to make them brighter. The older light has 1/2 the lumen output, but puts out a brighter smaller hotspot. The SX has an incredibly large hot spot, with a tremendous amount of spill light. It's more of a flood pattern than a spot pattern of the old one.

12. Hummer

Hummer Big Member

The Surefire lights aren't cheap but I think you'll find they're very much worthwhile. The size and weight make them easier to carry and use. The E2DL is a great light that will never fail you.

I really like the models with the two level output. They are great for hunting and just about any other use. Every day for the past 9 years I've used my A2 lights and have never regretted buying them. I have the G2, G2L and other cr123 lights but the high end Surefires are better.

In my opinion it's best to have one with a lanyard ring. I made my own wrist lanyard so that when I need it, the light will stay by my hand no matter what happens.

[​IMG]

13. Rumbler_G20

Rumbler_G20

A quality (tactical light) - and it doesn't have to be a big one - and a little professional training is a very plausible "less lethal" alternative to your hand-cannon.

Additionally it offers the "home defender" a couple of other substantial benefits. In no particular order . . .

* -Ask anyone that has had professional force on force training in a low light / no light environment; the vast majority of the time the threat is going to shoot at your light. If you have a weapon mounted light where does that place the bullseye? :wow:

* - The first time you stick your pistol in the face of the "noise in the night" because the light is mounted on your weapon, and it turns out to be your spouse or your teenage daughter raiding the fridge . . or the potty, your life will be forever changed. Heck, it'll probably cost you thousands of dollars and lots of lost time from work just getting that light removed from where your wife will surely shove it. . . . :wow:

14. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

Sure.

Nothing say "What the hell are you doing on my lawn at 2am" like 200 lumen shinning down from a bedroom window.

For me it was my 19 year old neighborhood and her friend who were HAMMERED and decided to sit down on my lawn and have a conversation while walking home from a party.

15. CBennett

CBennett

I have a streamlight Strion LED..its great best light ive owned well worth the $$$.

16. FARTHAMMER

FARTHAMMER

I use a streamlight tlr-3 on my glock, I'm not a fan of holding a flashlight in one hand, gun in the other. You can pick em up for around 75 bucks in most gun shops.

17. zoyter2

zoyter2 Yeah, so what?

There is little reason for "Joe Average" to run out and buy a Surefire or other "premium priced" flashlight to sit on the nightstand.

There are a TON of great lights in almost every configuration, battery use, and power available under $50 for the civilian user. Your Maglite is one such light.

I am NOT a fan of weapons mounted lights for some of the reasons previously stated. They have a place and are great in that place, but for a homeowner (civilian) I really don't care much for them. In one incident I would have been killed by local LEOs had I been in the habit of using a weapon mounted light. Practice using a hand held.

18. itstime

itstime

I carry a flashlight all the time. It's not a tacticool thing they really come in handy.

Stick with something from Surefire, Fenix or any other of the decent brands and just search for the functions you want.

If you want to impress go to the SHOT show theread and click on the new for 2012 video for Surefire. Wow!!!!! Bring a platinum card.

19. southernshooter

southernshooter

I got LED bulbs for my mag lites at Academy sports. It upgrades it a little. Light is whiter and a little brighter.

20. John Galt

John Galt Anti-Federalist

Surefire C2 Centurion With a Malkoff Devices M60L drop-in. I used to have Streamlight TLR-1 mounted to my G22 but I found that I prefer a hand held light.