close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Do you tip the pizza guy?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Folsom_Prison, Sep 11, 2011.

1. GOCANES

GOCANES

I ordered KFC two weeks ago. The girl taking my order greeted everyone walking in the door with a smile. She kidded and laughed all the while thru a crazy luch hour. After I got my order, I walked away, then turned around and put a $20 in her hand and told her it was because she was just a nice person. It made her day, but it really made mine.

2. the iceman

the iceman Proud Veteran CLM

This. Don't need potential convicts coming to my door.

3. Diesel McBadass

Diesel McBadass Tactically Epic

Pizza guys are convicts? huh, nobody i work with ahs a record, there were background checks.

4. Dexters

Dexters

I started working at 15 for minimum wage at a supermarket. I didn't have the type of personality you describe and I didn't have a smiley face. But, I treated everyone with respect and did a good job. I'm sure there were some kids like me working in that store yet you stiffed them. Speaking for them - thanks and have a nice day.

5. hotpig

hotpig IAFF Local 4766 CLM

More if the weather is bad. Now that I have a good rep for tipping my pizza always arrives in 20 min or less instead of a half hour.

6. the iceman

the iceman Proud Veteran CLM

There is a delivery driver for a small ma and paps pizza place here that employs one. I only found out about him because I had a friend over and he was the arresting officer many years back.

After that, I starting carrying out instead.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  7. GOCANES

GOCANES

And by treating everyone with respect and doing a good job I am sure your boss paid you the salary upon which you and him agreed upon. If I was your employer, I would expect those attributes to be part of your basic job description. By not doing anything "extra", do you think you should have been rewarded with something "extra"?

8. Dexters

Dexters

How do you know the person doing the greeting wasn't doing what she was told was part of her job?

9. Aux Bear

Aux Bear

Gee, around here drivers do not get a wage. They recieve $3.00 per pizza delivered regardless of how far they drive. If they get two or more located close to each other they are OK but otherwise with gas at $4/gal. they can actually lose $ working. My kid was doing it last Spring and was borrowing $ from me so he could work! That lasted about 2 weeks and we had a sit-down conversation and I explained that it would be cheaper for me to just pay him to stay home rather than foot the bill for gas, insurance, wear and tear vs. his $3/per pay. Thankfully he found another job. I always tip delivery drivers. The worse the weather, the better the service, the bigger the tip.

10. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

I used to deliver pizza in highschool. The pay structure was designed to account for tips. The alternative would be to:

1) Pick up your damn pizza yourselves, you lazy bums
    2) Pay more for your pizza so the employer could pay the delivery guy more.

Tip your pizza dlivery guy. If you don't, you'll eveuntually be blacklisted.

11. tsdsensei

tsdsensei

I am a pizza delivery person. I work for Pizza Hut to make extra money that we use to pay our bills. Pizza Hut charges a delivery fee of $2.00 but only gives the driver a buck. I have had people not tip because they thought the delivery fee was my tip. Some people if they call in the order and use a credit or debit card don't write a tip on the ticket. I don't know if they don't think about it, unaware of it or don't care.
    People usually tip $2-4 for the area I work. We have started to not deliver to parts of town that are either a longer drive or are notorious for not tipping and then gripping about the pizza when there is nothing wrong. Don't misunderstand, if something is wrong we are happy to correct it but some people try to get something for nothing.
    It is true that we sometimes remember folks that order often and tip well. They are going to get their order a little faster and that means hotter. That is just the way the world works. I get minimum wage and I pay my gas, insurance, wear and tear on my vehicle.
    Some days and nights are better than others. It is annoying when people don't appreciate that you really try to get the pizza to them quickly. It is also very appreciated when people show their gratitude.

12. Diesel McBadass

I have noticed that cheap tippers in crappy sections of town are the pickiest eaters, one demanded an new pepperoni lovers since she could see cheese and it wasnt just one sheet of pepperoni, and i had to go deliver it. One asked for no browning on the chesse o the cheese sticks and warm pizza sauce insted of marinara then complained the dough was gooey when it got there, well you cant have unbrowned cheese if we cook it the way its desighned....

13. stk10767

stk10767

Of course you're supposed to tip the pizza guy. What, are you a neanderthal or something?

14. Peace Frog

Peace Frog ...............

I live outside PH delivery area but last month I was hurting pretty bad and didn't want to drive but wanted a pizza which is rare.
    I called the closest PH which I'm two miles out of their delivery area.I told the girl if somebody drops off a large thin crust pepperoni w/bacon I give them a extra $20...
    I had pizza less than 30 minutes later.

I've heard stories about the delivery drivers remembering who tips and who doesn't...:whistling:

15. Brucev

Brucev

Easy to understand why employees choose to join unions! You have a nice day now. And if you order a pizza, the good folks bringing it will figure out if they should bring it to you first on their route... or last. :wavey:

16. Diesel McBadass

Yep if i have a choice between a frequent customer who tips 5 to 10 depending on weather and the tool at the homeless shelter who tries to egt us to pay for part of his ood and spends 10 minutes bumming money off other people and insulting me ill take the good tipper first every time. And yes i remember both well.

17. GenuineMP5

GenuineMP5

I delivered pizza for several years. Drivers certainly do remember who tips and who doesn't. Best repeat tippers always received the best service. Pizza was there quicker, and it was the hottest.

On the time issue. Remember, most of the time they aren't just delivering to you. I would have 5 or 6 stops to make on average, per outing from the store. When you have that many stops to make, and the nearest one is 15 min from the store, and you factor in traffic or events that the driver (or store) cannot control; it might take a while.

If you were a known non tipper (read as "every time"), I didn't care if you got your pizza last and it was barely warm. I didn't care if I dropped your soda a few times and it exploded when you opened it. I was losing money on the drive anyway.

Drivers remember, and they share that info with each other.

18. GenuineMP5

GenuineMP5

And it doesn't have to be that drastic a comparison. It could be the guy that tips $5-10 repeatedly, and the guy next door to him that never tips. In that case, I'll deliver to the guy that tips every time, go finish my other deliveries, and then come back to the guy that never tips. Even though they were right next door.

19. Diesel McBadass

Yeah one whos been there a while tells me what order to take based on their records, he said he even remembers adresses from another state 7 years ago. Id say a good driver will remember you.

20. cyphertext

cyphertext

I understand the idea here, but you would really punish yourself more. Wasted gas, more wear and tear, reduced profits for you. You would be better off just delivering to the guy next door and moving on.