close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Do you think the big wigs at Smith + Wesson...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by glocking26, Jul 18, 2012.

1. glocking26

glocking26

Come here and read some of the posts here??

2. Adjuster

Adjuster

No, why would they unless they're secretly Glock fans/owners.

3. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

They probably got bigger and better things to do like hookers and blow.

4. devildog2067

devildog2067

I doubt it. Why?

I imagine that there are some folks at S&W who get paid to monitor what is said about them and guns on the internet, but not any big wigs unless they just happen to be GT members.

5. Averageman

Averageman

A couple of years ago I got a Sig 556 SWAT Patrol.
    This rifle had been assembled wrong and the barrel to reciever fit was seriously off. I attempted to fix the issue with the Q/C people over the phone.
    I spent more time with Sig Q/C waiting on hold than I ever spent on the range with that gun. Frustration set in and I posted a warning about my experiance on every gun board I visit.
    After about 20 posts, well I got a call from their V.P. of Sales and finally 6 months later a new Sig Rifle.
    It too was a monumental failure, but it is nice to know they read this stuff from time to time.

6. Bruce M

Bruce M

I would bet that a fair amount of information from the boards that gets to management gets there from people who work there who are interested in guns and peruse these boards either at home or possibly at work just as some of us do.

7. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

They'd listen here because they need help selling those warehouses of backlogged inventory, perhaps?

8. byf43

byf43 NRA Endowment Life Member

Similar situation, but, before the 'internets' became en vogue.

A good friend of mine had bought a rifle (won't name the 'major brand' - don't want thread locked!), and this rifle was poorly assembled.
    It didn't shoot 'groups'. It shot 'patterns' at 100 yards!
    It was sent back to the factory SIX times. (This was in the early '80s!)
    Finally, my friend took the rifle to another friend that was a gunsmith, and found out that the headspace was waaaaaaay out of spec. (Bolt closed on a "No-Go" gauge, and the gauged rattled in the chamber!)

Sent the rifle back, again, along with a letter stating what was found.
    Manuf. didn't want to acknowledge this problem.

When my friend told __________ that he was going to write EVERY gun magazine and tell them what a POS he got, and how he was treated, ___________ decided to send this rifle to an 'outside' armorer (that specialized in this particular model), and when it was returned to him, this rifle was PERFECT!
    Come to find out, the manufacturer had a 'Bad' set of headspace gauges.
    There's no telling how many rifles went out, out-of-spec.

:dunno:

I'll wager real $$$ that manufacturers 'monitor' gun related websites. (Uncle Sugar, too!)

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  9. jpa

jpa CLM

If I were the head of a company that had a site dedicated to aficionados of my product, I'd make damn sure someone in customer relations or marketing had access to the site and read it regularly to keep tabs on the customer's opinions. Not so much to take action against the customer or resolve individual complaints, but to find out about trends and common problems that may be fixable. If there were some recurring theme (like a .40 KB or something) I'd definitely want to be briefed so we could fix the problem.

10. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

I agree, however, one main thread that runs through S&W (and other) fora is how much better the old guns were than the current production. It would be tough to produce 1950s era S&Ws, and there's no way we'd pay what it would cost to make 'em. I read one guy talking about the phenomenon once: "We loved Colt's high end revolvers so much Colt couldn't afford to keep building them."

Then again, I heard Jerry M say that the current gen of S&W revolvers are the best they've ever made.

11. KalashniKEV

KalashniKEV

I seriously think they must be sending hookers and blow to folks on another well-respected-firearms message board just to get them to not give up on the line.

(Hint: They also have a wacky fetish for the VZ-58 that I'll never in a million years understand)

Seriously... why are people not renouncing these pistols as POS?

After you rebuild the whole gun with aftermarket internals just to get a decent trigger, you find out that the total lack of accuracy is related to the barrels? And that NIB guns are either "on it" or not?

After offloading mine, I wondered if the Sigma sucked as bad? Or if a new M&P could go head to head with some wacky milsurp import and come out on top...

12. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

I doubt that most of the big wigs at S&W read any gun boards, books, magazines or own guns. At that level they read spreadsheets with the words "Income" and "Statement" in the file name.

13. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

Not here, but do they data mine the gun forums in general...yes.

I remember a while ago the guys on the Rimfirecentral forum bytched about the Model 63, that having a 5" barrel J-framed .22lr kit gun sucked. Why 3" would be ideal....:whistling:

The next year The M63 came out in 3" and the 5" barrel was dropped. Don't know if the forum had anything to do with it.

I know guns like the Kel Tec pf9 and the infamous NAA .32H&R mini revolver were all born from suggestions on the those companies gunfan forums.

Unfortunately we can talk about single stack 9mm and carbines all day on GT and Gaston still will not listen :crying:

14. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

To touch on what Devildog says, there is an entire industry devoted to putting together media "press clippings" for other companies. (and these days that includes online stuff) Smith & Wesson is big enough to either do this themselves or have it done for them.

What this means in terms of "big wigs" is, like most things, they get a synopsis. So in theory, some C ring folks will have a feel for what is going on. A good synopsis to the C ring should do a few things, 1. Play the math. If a few people (out of a very large number) have something to say that is an outlier, it is probably just that, an outlier. If 10,000 people are happy and you arent...you are probably going to stay unhappy. 2. Report novel feedback. You might think you have a great idea, but the people in charge kwno something you dont, they had that idea, 10 times, 10 ways, and for whatever reason crap canned it. However, SOMETIMES, a really novel data point is put on the table. . 3. Tell the truth. Give a real feeling for how the market feels. 4. Identify trends. 5. Identy fires to be put out.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  15. CDW4ME

CDW4ME

If they do, they can read my signature :bowdown: and correct production accordingly.

"No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!"

16. BEER

BEER bad example

considering some of the asinine **** posted here i sure hope not.

17. goldenlight

goldenlight

No, but I'm SURE that somebody from Glock does.

Probably reads the Glock section, NOT GNG, though.

18. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

Why are you here? (or most anyone)

Is it such a stretch that someone who is in the gun industry and likes being in the gun industry (a gun guy) would wind up at a place like this for similar reasons as everyone else?

19. BEER

BEER bad example

yeah really. there's only 2 mega-gun sites on the web, this one and arfcom.

20. silentpoet

silentpoet

If they did that I might consider buying one of their guns and forgive their traitorous deal with the devil.