Do you take a firearm with you when traveling by air?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by PlayboyPenguin, Mar 30, 2010.

1. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin

And if so, in what type of case do you transport it? Have you had good or bad experiences with the airline employees?

Whenever we go back south to visit I always make sure to take my Glock 33 with me. I can't stand the idea of being in the south for a week or two with no CC piece.

I found a very nice case on sale at my local Sportsman's Warehouse and I use it to check the gun into baggage. I have had nothing but good experiences when checking it too. Only once did the checker not know the proper procedure and she quickly got a supervisor who did and I was on my way in just a few minutes. I have found the security screeners very friendly towards me when checking a gun too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. porkchop817

porkchop817

3. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin

4. Ryobi

Ryobi SummertimeRules

Frequently. Never used anything but a stock glock case and stock glock cable lock. Zero issues.

5. GreyEclipse

GreyEclipse TheGreyEclipse

Nah, I've only traveled by plane a few times in the past few years.
    It's too costly to bring any guns.

6. CAcop

CAcop

No. Mostly because when I fly I am going to Vegas, where I will be drinking. Or I am going to visit in-laws in the PacNW, where I want to drink heavily. Or I am going on vaca and the last thing I need is something to remind me of work.

I have a couple of good but cheap knives to defend myself with if necessary. Check out Spyderco's Byrd series of knives. The edges dull quick but can be sharpened quickly. For less than $20 per. If I have to give it up for some reason it is cheap to replace.

I might start doing it next trip but that will be awhile with money being tight.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  7. Silkywilson

Silkywilson

Ok I'm not 100% sure this is the correct thread to post this in, but its my recent experience with traveling with a firearm.

Monday 4/26/10 i left Chattanooga, TN heading for Phoenix, AZ. This being the first time I have flown with a firearm, I did my research, on TSA, Delta airlines, and American Airlines. I wanted to make sure I conformed to all 3s regulations.

Complications are simple, 4 layovers on 2 airlines. Yes I know this is retarded but some one else purchased the tickets for me, if you have ANY choice avoid layovers and airline changes.

My trip was as fallows, Chattanooga, TN to Atlanta GA on Delta, Atlanta, GA to Charlotte, NC on Delta, Charlotte, NC to Dallas, TX on American, and Dallas, TX to Phoenix, AZ on American.

Long story Short, I was told to first go to the baggage claim in Phoenix, AZ to see if the firearm came down on the carousel. If it didn't I was told to go to the baggage counter and pick it up there. When I got there it didn't show on the Carousel, so I went to the desk, they had no real answers, but the firearm wasn't there. They called Delta and Delta tracked their luggage at every arrival and departure, according to them the firearm was delivered to American in Charlotte, NC. I was then informed that American does not track luggage so they dont have a clue where it went after that.

I was told it should arrive on the next flight, because it most likely missed a connecting flight some where in the mix. I waited for the next flight (2 hours) and it was not on that flight either. I then filed a lost baggage report and hopped on my shuttle.

I was told if it doesn't arrive in a couple of days they would then escalate it to the claims department. I have been getting a nice pre-recoded call every day for now 4 days saying we are sorry to inform you we have still not located your lost baggage.

Yesterday I spoke with a nice woman at American who informed me that she was told that they dont check firearms all the way through from one airline to another due to different packaging rules on different airlines. My reply was thats funny, I was never told this by either airline until right now, and I was told it was delivered from Delta to American in Charlotte, NC. Her reply was oh yes it was delivered to us, but I dont know how.

So what I am asking now is has anyone been through anything like this before? I just got home from the trip (I flew to AZ to drive a vehicle back to Chattanooga) and didn't have any info to even file a report. Now that I am home I can provide my serial number and such. I have to assume I need to file a police report of a stolen gun? and then get this to the claims department of American airlines. I am fairly confused on where to report it stolen, as it happened some where across many state lines. I also hope American Airlines dont try and jerk me around on this in 2 ways #1 value and #2 time, they have already caused me the grief of loosing a special gun that I have trusted my life to daily for years now, the anxiety of traveling 1800 miles alone without personal protection, and Now.. I'm living without it daily because I do not have anything else that is concealable.

If anyone has any information on any of this it would be greatly appreciated. I am so lost right now.. I never thought loosing a firearm would be so unsettling..

8. j-glock22

j-glock22

I was unaware that you as a average joe traveler could travel on a commercial aircraft with a firearm unless you were LE or AM of some sort? Only in checked baggage well-secured and declared.

9. Silkywilson

Silkywilson

it was checked and declared, how else would the airline loose it?

10. pgg00

pgg00

All the time. The only problems I've ever had was with the TSA jerks in SFO.

11. gjk5

gjk5 Pinche Gringo

I always take a gun unless a very short trip with carry-on luggage only. Never had any issues.

12. xm21

xm21

Why are you nervous in the southern states?This is the second thread you have started recently where you talk down about the south,you do realize that they don't lynch homosexuals down here anymore right?

13. TZZ

TZZ

For those of you who travel and shoot, how do you handle cleaning your gun while traveling? Do you wait to clean until you return home? Do you carry cleaning supplies with you or buy them locally? Can they be carried on the plane in checked baggage?

14. tx787

tx787

With the exception of Miami the places where I travel are places I'd like to have a gun but can't, CA NY MA.

15. gjk5

gjk5 Pinche Gringo

I don't take a handgun to plink, I take it to carry. If I go hunting and fly it's always to hunt with someone I know and they will have all that crap. If I did I would just bring it home dirty, I have had shampoo leak in a suitcase, that was bad enough, cannot imagine what a mess Hoppe's would make of my stuff.

16. Ryobi

Ryobi SummertimeRules

Yes, whether traveling for duty or pleasure. Easy.

17. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

I carry a Glock bubble blower (sans bore brush) in the checked gun case and 1oz bottle of Rem Oil with a few patches in a small 3"x5" zip lock in my carry-on shave kit.

18. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin

Usually we are visiting family and luckily both side of our families have cleaning supplies on hand since they both own guns.

19. bustedknee

bustedknee The Snowflakes have invaded GT

The good news
    The airlines will pay you for your lost luggage.

The bad news
    They pay you pennies per pound. Something like $.40 times the weight of your bag. .40 X 50 = $20.

The gooder news
    Don't accept their joke of a check if you have receipts for items in the bag, proving what you paid. They will reimburse you full value.
    I'll bet you have your gun receipt?

Last edited: May 1, 2010
  20. chauncey

chauncey

i flew into Vegas one time, those boneheads just dropped the pistol case on the belt. glad i was there ahead of the pistol to pick out of a pile of g-strings or some nonsense.

flying into Detroit a baggage handler met me with the pistol, which made me feel much better