GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
19,124 Posts
How do you guys line up your sights when shooting with the weak hand?
I always shoot with one eye closed and use the other eye.
If I shoot left handed, I use my left eye.
If I shoot right handed, I use my right eye.

Last week, the left hand won.
Left Hand, best group at seven yards.

Right hand, best group at seven yards

http://chronosscifi.com/ruger357GridJS.html

·
Registered
32,817 Posts
How do you guys line up your sights when shooting with the weak hand?
I can shoot either eye for either hand, but not both eyes open at the same time.

I know all the miltechblacktactalk is about leaving both eyes open. But whatever, I have to close one or else I have double vision (either at the target or the sights depending upon where my focus is)--which makes it harder to align anything. Closing one eye solves that problem. It doesn't matter which eye I close, either way works fine.

So that's what happens when you truly have no dominant eye :)

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Wait....we're talking shooting right? Then both eyes open, or dominant.

·
Registered
19,124 Posts
Sounds like we are very similar.
It Works for me. It Works for you.
I've heard quotes from champion shooters who shoot like me and other champions who shoot like all the other techniques suggested in this thread. That's what Works for them.

·
Mr. Awesome
10,421 Posts
Right handed, left eye dominant.

Handgun: both eyes open

Long gun: Shooting left handed, both eyes open. Shooting right handed, left eye closed (otherwise, I just see the side of the firearm).

Reactions: Neldon

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Ditto

+2

This /\ is correct.
I lost most vision in my dominant right eye which forced my brain to change to cross dominance.
My best results come by keeping the pistol just left off the bridge of my nose in front of my dominant left eye. This works well shooting left handed, right handed, or two handed.
Took several years to retrain my brain, but now totally natural.
Rifle and shotgun, have to shoot left handed, no choice.
Same problem here. Without two good eyes you lose depth perception and contrary to the way it should work I close the bad eye. After years of living with it this is the best way for me to judge and it works great! But, To make it worse I use the left hand for rifles and the right hand for trigger pulls with pistols.

May not be the correct way but it works. :)

·
I'm not retired
7,208 Posts
Thank you everyone. The answer is clear: same eye, regardless of hand.
I'm a left hand left eye and right hand right eye. I personally do not shoot with both eyes open unless it's on the skeet range. I have no idea which of my eyes is dominate...each one works with each hand 'bout equally well.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts