close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Do you support public funding of NASA?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by IndianaMatt, Apr 19, 2012.

1. IndianaMatt

IndianaMatt

The recent shuttering of the space shuttle is sad indicia that the American space program seems to be in remission, with no planned travel to space by American ships until around 2020.

Do you support government dollars going to NASA? Seems like a very worthy cause, to me.

After all, what is more important to our civilization than learning about the universe, its limits, and its possibilities?

2. IndianaMatt

IndianaMatt

Oh, and the three or four of you (you know who you are, because I do) who are going to protest that this is all a giant liberal commie scheme and that space travel should be left to "the private sector," you can move on. The thread is about NASA.

3. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

I grew up on the Space Coast and while I hate to see the space program leave I don't believe that the government has the right to tax me for it.

That said there are WAY more agencies ahead of NASA that should have been shut down first.

4. E-2-E

E-2-E Long Trail

I'm all for it. Instead of just puttzin around in space, they should be coming up with a plan to send all of our nuclear waste, etc.and depositing it on the moons surface, nice virgin dumping grounds.

5. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

6. devildog2067

devildog2067

These threads are utterly predictable. In fact, I'm going to go look for the responses I wrote the last time.

7. G19Tony

G19Tony Sneet CLM

Yes.

On the IRS form, instead of donating $1 to the Presidential election, I would have rather donated that $1 to build a new Space Shuttle. :supergrin:

8. Altaris

Altaris

Yes.
    It is the only government program that I want my tax dollars going to.

9. Blaster

Blaster Hunc tu caveto

Absolutely!

As long as NASA sticks with its intended mission and drops the crazy Obama directive of Muslim Outreach. :steamed:

10. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

I would rather see my tax dollars go towards the space program than towards an entitlement program or another pointless conflict/war.

11. ocjackel

ocjackel

I do support public funding of NASA.

The priorities our government has sometimes is what is depressing to me.

NASA's budget last year was about $18.5 billion, or about 1/2 of 1 percent of the national budget.

Here in California they want to build a high speed train from Anaheim to San Fransisco that will (if we are lucky) only cost us $100 billion. This train will hardly be used as it will still take longer and cost more that flying. So after we spend the $100+ to build the train we will get to spend and estimated $1 billion a year in tax dollars to subsidize it.

Image that instead of building this train to nowhere we gave NASA that $100 billion. That's five times their annual budget. Would that be enough for a Moon base? or manned missions to Mars?

12. JLB768

JLB768 Old & Grumpy Lifetime Member

I'd prefer feeding the space program over illegal aliens, and lazy people, shut down welfare, and give the funds to Nasa.

13. OctoberRust

OctoberRust Anti-Federalist

I'm all for funding nasa...... by donations..... NOT TAX.....

What? Not enough donations nasa? Uh oh, looks like you better find a way to market a product and have your investors think they'll get some sort of return on investment...... :supergrin:

Free markets, how do they work? :rofl:

14. CAcop

CAcop

I read that article too.

NASA funding does not bother me. Valuable science comes from it. Many things in the commercial sector came from NASA.

What does bother me are wastes of money on things like bullet trains that meander through the California countryside stopping at expensive stations just so a state legislator can get his name on the station when he dies.

15. aircarver

aircarver Descent Terminated Silver Member

Yes.

Preferably before the asteroid wipes us all out ! ........:supergrin:

16. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

It is a foregone conclusion if we stay on this planet the human race is doomed. I do support NASA, we need to be building self sufficient bases o the moon and Mars. We should also be investing significant resources in getting to a nearby star.

17. Altaris

Altaris

Neil deGrasse Tyson Testifies Before Senate Science Committee, March 7, 2012

My favorite physicists(sorry devildog :supergrin:) explains to the senate, much more eloquently, pretty much exactly how I feel....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmKlA_UnX8c&feature=related"]Neil deGrasse Tyson Testifies Before Senate Science Committee, March 7, 2012 - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  18. coastal4974

coastal4974

I think that in different times it is a necessity for the gubmint to fund space exploration. I also believe that when it gets to the point of routine satellites and the ISS, it should be handed off to the private sector who will do a better job for less money. And I don't support NASA funded to make Muslims "feel good".

However, we have chosen to fund unnecessary gubmint bureaucracies, bailouts, energy schemes that don’t work and entitlements so we don’t have the money to spend on space exploration.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  19. Haldor

Haldor Formerly retired EE.

Nope.

NASA is more of an impediment to than a promoter of putting people into space. They became so risk adverse after Challenger that essentially they have priced space travel out of the grasp of everybody (even the USA).

I want people to be in space because it makes them fabulously rich. I want robber barons and naked capitalism, just like the American West in the 19th century. Space is going to be like the gold rush all over again. There is unimaginable wealth just waiting to be picked up in the asteroid belt. People are going to die in wholesale lots, but some of them are going to become the ancestors of Homo-Spacien.

50 years of that and we will have nations living in space, thumbing their noses at what the dirt side governments want them to do. Our kids and their kids need someplace to escape to where they can make it (or not) on the basis of their own abilities and hard work.

20. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

My family are all strong supporters of manned space flight, (we've been known to give Planetary Society memberships for Christmas). That said, NASA is better at absorbing money than at giving a return. They need to give X prizes and research breakthrough flight technology and let others fly the mail. The problem with private companies doing all of the work is the lack of resources, only governments are equipped to do high cost, long term return projects. The problem with the government doing it is that they spend all the money and don't return much for the price. The space shuttle is a prime example of the best and worst of NASA. Congress said, "Let there be reusable space craft" and NASA said "YES, SIR" and created a nominally reusable space craft that required a huge full time staff, long turnaround times and a gigantic budget to operate. They sort of met the criteria, killed off any competing concepts like DCX and absorbed every available dime. On the other hand, we had a space shuttle, which was better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

In my opinion, there is no government activity more important than NASA (or something like it) for the long term survival of the human race and the maintenance of liberty. Some will say the DOD is more important, but that is in the near term. If another culture takes over the lead in the space race they can and probably will dominate the Earth in the long term.

That whole "Nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure" thing is only funny if you are the country with the orbiters.