Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Monkeyboy
6,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or, do you know of anyone who does?
For example, some folks think that American cars (Ford, Chevy,....) are still made in the USA. There was a time when that was true. Nowadays, parts are made from all over the world.

What's your story?

·
Registered
13,483 Posts
guess so

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well, the most 'American' car is the Toyota Camry. Built in Georgetown, Ky and assembled out of more American sourced parts.

I'm sure there's something I don't know that's 'common knowledge.'

·
Banned
1,264 Posts
Well, the term"Made in America" is somewhat deceiving.

For example: if 65% of the parts of a Ford vehicle are actually Japanese, 20% German, 10% Chinese, and 5% American, but these parts are assembled into a drivable vehicle inside South Carolina, where its fitted with a Ford name badge, is it an American car?

·
Premium Member
10,862 Posts
I don't watch tv news or read the papers anymore, so in a way, yes, I guess I choose to live under a rock....to an extent...there are some things I DON'T care to know about...

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Two Japanese, one Korean, and one German car here. No Buick's but our dishwasher was made in North Carolina.

·
Drop those nuts
9,539 Posts

For example: if 65% of the parts of a Ford vehicle are actually Japanese, 20% German, 10% Chinese, and 5% American, but these parts are assembled into a drivable vehicle inside South Carolina, where its fitted with a Ford name badge, is it an American car?
IMO, no it's not. But I'm involved in manufacturing, so I've been watching this situation develop for almost twenty years now - screaming my head off about it the whole time, while the media failed to notice that thousands of small NON UNION (auto parts in addition to other things) manufacturing companies went out of business - and only recently is anyone even starting to hear me on it.:wavey:

·
Premium Member
6,713 Posts

Isn't that a kick in the nads.

I once had a Ford Courier pickup that was actually a Mitsubishi engine in a Mazda truck body.

·
Gun Cultured
1,227 Posts
My 2010 Ford Fusion is a Mexican immigrant. The other car is a 2000 Chevy Impala, and it's a Canadian immigrant.

You can't win, and I make the effort to buy American.

·
Premium Member
6,713 Posts
My 2010 Ford Fusion is a Mexican immigrant. The other car is a 2000 Chevy Impala, and it's a Canadian immigrant.

You can't win, and I make the effort to buy American.
Oh, I forgot about that. My Trans Am.
I'm driving a Canadian car. It has square wheels.

·
Banned
5,471 Posts
Well let's just look at what I've learned on Gt lately;

MMA is a dieing fad.

People are fat because of genetics.

Doctors commonly lie about risk factors.

People have no responsibility at all to family members who are over 18.

If your parent's pay for your collage your more likely to party at school.

If a person has neither voted for Republican or Democrats they're still responsible for the mess these parties have wrought on this country.

Libertarian is the only third party.

Yep, I know some people who live under a rock but then again I couldn't tell you where my vehicles were made nor do I care.

·
INFRINGED
42,213 Posts
My Ford pickup is running a factory powerplant from Germany.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Depending on the product I still prefer to support American companies regardless of where they outsource/source labor/parts.

·
Banned
62,270 Posts
I couldn't care less where something is made. It never factors into my purchasing decision.

·
Señor Member
5,395 Posts
Well, as stated in a recent thread, my living under a rock has caused confusion for me while in foreign countries because the locals there have better awareness of American pop culture than me.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Or, do you know of anyone who does?
For example, some folks think that American cars (Ford, Chevy,....) are still made in the USA. There was a time when that was true. Nowadays, parts are made from all over the world.

What's your story?
Ya, I don't know how to use the interweb.

·
Master Member
7,562 Posts
well let's just look at what i've learned on gt lately;

mma is a dieing fad.

People are fat because of genetics.

Doctors commonly lie about risk factors.

People have no responsibility at all to family members who are over 18.

If your parent's pay for your collage your more likely to party at school.

If a person has neither voted for republican or democrats they're still responsible for the mess these parties have wrought on this country.

Libertarian is the only third party.

Yep, i know some people who live under a rock but then again i couldn't tell you where my vehicles were made nor do i care.
t, t, t, f, t, f, f.

·
Lean & Mean
15,586 Posts
My CV was made in Canada I believe.
A lot of local Toyotas also.
I'm usually eating the rocks, but this is a long family tradition.
Any more questions?

1 - 20 of 81 Posts