GlockTalk Forum banner

221 - 240 of 243 Posts

·
Registered
20,016 Posts
I talked to a guy I went to school with. His wife that works in a hospital came down with the virus and her possible release from quarantine is Wednesday. She has done OK so far.

He was checked today and was confirmed as positive. He sounds pretty crappy but says he sounds worse than he feels so far.

·
Wut?
2,456 Posts
Found out this morning that my wife's 92 year old aunt Eleanor just died from COVID, completely unexpected. She lived in MA, so we haven't been able to go visit her recently, and we're not going to be able to go to any services. She was a real pistol. She always said that if my wife ever decided to kick me to the curb, she'd take me. We will miss her, but she had a good run.

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
I "liked" your post because I feel your pain. My mother was also diagnosed today. She's 82 and quite healthy for her age. That said, she's still 82. She also promises me that she's been taking the 1000IU of vitamin D3 I bought her several months ago; along with her long term friend vitamin c.

Today she only had fever which is what prompted the test. In another thread, I complained about how it was taking the county 3 freaking weeks to get her first dose of the vaccine scheduled. Well, private enterprise corrected that today. Hopefully. She's scheduled for an infusion of the synthetic anti-bodies tomorrow afternoon.

I quoted my own post to give a positive update. It's been a day shy of two weeks for my elderly mother. She's 82.

Today, she went outside for the first time since her diagnosis. She took her usual 2 3/4 mile walk. Prior to Covid, she did this 6 days a week for literally decades. She admitted that she went a little slower but felt amazing. I'm convinced that the mind and willingness to fight is a crucial part of fighting disease. That is my mother. :)

Her symptoms were quite mild. A fever which led to her testing. Chest congestion lasted at least a week. The concerning part was a substantial jump in her blood pressure several days in. Her only real medication is for BP. That was fortunate. She doubled up on dosage for a couple days and it returned to her normal. She now has no symptoms for 4-5 days and is (hopefully) done with the Rona.

Much of my fear throughout the last year was for her. Now that she has come through, I have truly relaxed a bit.

·
Premium Member
2,063 Posts
No one for me

·
Quick! Duck!
2,920 Posts
The ex got the rona a few weeks ago and said it was the sickest she has ever felt. A friend in MD got sick as heck last March and a month later tested + for rona antibodies.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I got it a year ago, and just got over it again. Flew back from a vacation in Mexico and started feeling ill a couple of days later. Heard on the news that the very first confirmed case in Washington state traveled through the same airport and terminal, and possible same plane, as I did.

It was not a good time. Fever, body aches, minor sore throat, dry cough. Went into my lungs and nearly sent me to the hospital. Girlfriend had same symptoms, but also lost sense of taste for a few days and horrible sore throat, with no lung issues. Was over and done in about a week. Cough remained for three weeks.

The last episode, both girlfriend and I got it January 24th. Both of us had fevers of around 102, body aches, chills, fatigued, lost sense of taste and smell, she got a bad cough, I got the worst sore throat of my life. We both missed 3 weeks of work this time. I went to the ER about a week into it when I started coughing up blood. Was due to a sore throat. Both of us were confirmed as having it. We got it from girlfriend's parents. Her mom spent a week in the hospital.

Strange how our second bout with it was much worse than the first time we had it. I figured we would have some resistance built up. Several of our coworkers have had it and all reported it as very mild flu-like symptoms and fine in a couple of days. Neither me or my girlfriend are in a high-risk group. Not old, no illness, no smoking. Weird.

And now, nearly a month later, I still have no sense of taste or smell, though it is just barely starting to come back. Lost 20 lbs in 3 weeks, so there was some good that came out of it.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I got it a year ago, and just got over it again. Flew back from a vacation in Mexico and started feeling ill a couple of days later. Heard on the news that the very first confirmed case in Washington state traveled through the same airport and terminal, and possible same plane, as I did.

It was not a good time. Fever, body aches, minor sore throat, dry cough. Went into my lungs and nearly sent me to the hospital. Girlfriend had same symptoms, but also lost sense of taste for a few days and horrible sore throat, with no lung issues. Was over and done in about a week. Cough remained for three weeks.

The last episode, both girlfriend and I got it January 24th. Both of us had fevers of around 102, body aches, chills, fatigued, lost sense of taste and smell, she got a bad cough, I got the worst sore throat of my life. We both missed 3 weeks of work this time. I went to the ER about a week into it when I started coughing up blood. Was due to a sore throat. Both of us were confirmed as having it. We got it from girlfriend's parents. Her mom spent a week in the hospital.

Strange how our second bout with it was much worse than the first time we had it. I figured we would have some resistance built up. Several of our coworkers have had it and all reported it as very mild flu-like symptoms and fine in a couple of days. Neither me or my girlfriend are in a high-risk group. Not old, no illness, no smoking. Weird.

And now, nearly a month later, I still have no sense of taste or smell, though it is just barely starting to come back. Lost 20 lbs in 3 weeks, so there was some good that came out of it.
Wow. That's a miserable story. I'm glad you're doing better!

There aren't many cases of reinfection. Are you in an area that's known for one of the new variants to be active? It will be interesting to see if more people start having your experience.

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
Nope, still don't. Maybe my circle is too small?

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Upthread I reported that I knew four who had it. One otherwise healthy person suffered cardiac blood vessel damage. The others came through OK.

Today I learned of three others who got Covid.

One came through OK. One is still struggling to recover. The third was intubated and, when he survived the vent and the tube came out, asked the med staff what happens next. Their reply was that they don't know, you're the first living person from whom we removed a tube since April. He's still day-to-day.
My personally known COVID list just added four more, bringing my total to 11.

The first of the newest four is a 24 year old woman who was laid up with the usual sore throat, fever and loss of taste and smell, and fortunately her symptoms only lasted less than a week.

The next two are a couple, he a retired doctor (late 60's and cancer survivor) and she a former teacher with an underlying chronic disease. He has an FFL, and they have tables at all gun shows in their area. Both came through OK. She's been without taste and smell for over a month, his has mostly returned. He never had much of a fever. Both had sore throats and a cough.

The fourth is the first person I know to have died from COVID. No underlying health issues, and she was taken very quickly. She was 23 years old. The family is, as you would expect, devastated.

Rest in peace, sweetheart. 😢

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
I may have already said this, but my sister and azzholeinlaw had it. My 2nd cousin died from it, her son was hospitalized almost 3 months with it, has since recovered . Numerous other relatives have had it and come through almost unscathed from the China flu.. i still refuse the vaccine.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Good timing for this thread to pop up again.
I was thinking about it just yesterday.

I am surprised to report that I still do not personally know anyone who has had Covid.

As I have said before, I am not saying that Covid is not real.
What I am saying is that out of all of my family, friends, neighbors and acquaintances none have been afflicted.
The closest that I can say is the neighbor of my dental hygienist . . . but I do not personally know that person.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Nope, still don't. Maybe my circle is too small?
I am surprised to report that I still do not personally know anyone who has had Covid.
Not doubting your claims, but you certainly have to be numbered among a dwindling set of the population.

Counting only those I know personally (co-workers, church members, homeschool community, and neighbors), my count is above 30 and I'm starting to lose track of the exact number.

Interestingly, my extended family hasn't been hit. Two might have had it early on, but that was in the days before testing, so we don't know and I don't count them in my total.

·
M62/76
12,258 Posts
Me and most of my family have had it, fortunately everyone is ok.

Reactions: Joshhtn

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
There aren't many cases of reinfection. Are you in an area that's known for one of the new variants to be active? It will be interesting to see if more people start having your experience.
Not that I am aware of. Haven't heard of any cases here in the middle of Washington. But, there is a large migrant Hispanic population due to farmland, and who knows what they have brought in.

What's weird is that out of 4 of us that got tested multiple times, none of us tested positive for Covid the first time, or even the second time.

I started feeling ill on a Sunday, went and got tested that Wednesday and it was negative, so I went to the store to stock up on food and medicine, having a feeling that I actually had Covid. Girlfriend tested twice and was negative both times. I got tested the next Sunday in the ER and was positive. Girlfriend got tested Monday and was positive.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Not that I am aware of. Haven't heard of any cases here in the middle of Washington. But, there is a large migrant Hispanic population due to farmland, and who knows what they have brought in.

What's weird is that out of 4 of us that got tested multiple times, none of us tested positive for Covid the first time, or even the second time.

I started feeling ill on a Sunday, went and got tested that Wednesday and it was negative, so I went to the store to stock up on food and medicine, having a feeling that I actually had Covid. Girlfriend tested twice and was negative both times. I got tested the next Sunday in the ER and was positive. Girlfriend got tested Monday and was positive.
A lot of people on this forum focus on the false positive covid-19 test results and they certainly do exist. But there have also been many false negative test results. Some physicians who have seen and treated many patients with covid-19 infection feel that the false negative test results outweigh the false positives.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
I know of 6 people. My stepson and my 2 granddaughters and 2 co-workers and myself. It’s a living hell and not to be taken lightly.

Reactions: Joshhtn
221 - 240 of 243 Posts