Glock Talk banner

Do you pay to get your car cleaned?

4977 Views 62 Replies 53 Participants Last post by  The Hawk
Do you pay to get your car detailed or do you do it yourself? Why?
21 - 40 of 63 Posts

· You local friendly Skynet dealer
13,968 Posts
Not able to do it myself so every time I fill the tank I get a car wash for $13.

· Registered
12,598 Posts
Pay someone to do it.

· Registered
2,693 Posts
Have an exterior wash every 2 weeks $6 outside my favorite restaurant....

· Registered
15,934 Posts
I clean my own car. 14 years old. 103,000 miles. Over the years, I watched a number of videos on car cleaning/tools/chemicals. Interior - no stains/rips/tears/crusted food - a clean business interior in which you could wear an expensive suit. I live in an environment in which you could have a car detailed on the outside and after 3-5 days, you would swear the car had not been washed in weeks. So, in "cleaning" the outside, I pay particular attention to the wheel covers and get out the brake dust/discoloration (grease or whatever).

· Registered
2,327 Posts
My 1999 Ford Ranger has never been detailed by me or anyone else.
My 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser has never been detailed by me or anyone else.

I never eat or drink in my vehicles so that eliminates many of the sources of stains.
Other than that, I shower daily and routinely launder my clothing so there isn't really much chance of the interior getting too dirty from me or my clothing. Although I must admit that I do occasionally remove and shake out the floor mats. Why? Because I can.

As a matter of fact, passengers often remark that my vehicle interiors still look factory fresh.
When it rains, the cobwebs, dust and bird poop disappear from the exteriors to my satisfaction .

By the same token; my table saw, my miter saw, my lawn mower, my chain saw, my circular saw, my reciprocating saw, my jigsaw, my drills, my hand tools (i.e. wrenches, screwdrivers, hammers, etc.), my multimeter, my soldering irons, my oscilloscope, my shovels, my rakes, my pruning saws, my BBQ grill, my bicycles, my bowling ball, et cetera, have never been detailed by me or others.

After all, these are merely tools that serve a specific purpose. Many if not all of which are currently 40 to 50 years old and they still work as good as the day that I bought them. No mess. No fuss.

YMMV

· Banned
463 Posts
Do it myself, as always. No clown or car wash gets any of my vehicles to see. I need the exercise anyway. Got a routine on Sundays: mow grass, some more yard work, wash and vacuum the vehicle(s).

I use my commercial grade pressure washer to get the bugs off, after soaking, rest by hand. Got a boat load of Chemical Guys products.

· Banned
463 Posts
My 1999 Ford Ranger has never been detailed by me or anyone else.
My 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser has never been detailed by me or anyone else.

I never eat or drink in my vehicles so that eliminates many of the sources of stains.
Other than that, I shower daily and routinely launder my clothing so there isn't really much chance of the interior getting too dirty from me or my clothing. Although I must admit that I do occasionally remove and shake out the floor mats. Why? Because I can.

As a matter of fact, passengers often remark that my vehicle interiors still look factory fresh.
When it rains, the cobwebs, dust and bird poop disappear from the exteriors to my satisfaction .

By the same token; my table saw, my miter saw, my lawn mower, my chain saw, my circular saw, my reciprocating saw, my jigsaw, my drills, my hand tools (i.e. wrenches, screwdrivers, hammers, etc.), my multimeter, my soldering irons, my oscilloscope, my shovels, my rakes, my pruning saws, my BBQ grill, my bicycles, my bowling ball, et cetera, have never been detailed.

After all, these are merely tools that serve a specific purpose. Many if not all of which are currently 40 to 50 years old and they still work as good as the day that I bought them. No mess. No fuss.

YMMV
So your nick name is a lie after all!

· Registered
1,556 Posts
i use a local guy that makes my truck look almost too good to drive . i do it mostly because im too lazy and it interferes with my drinking time . i wash and wax my Jeep myself . NO one touches it but me . hell, ive been a mechanic my whole life and i dont even change my own oil anymore . too much hassle getting rid of used oil and filters. not like the good ol days when i could dump it on the ground without feeling guilty

· Wolverine
11,754 Posts
I have one of those deals with the local car wash where you can roll through as often as you want for the external wash. I think my average cost is about $4. Every once in awhile I vacuum it out and wipe it out. Works for me.

· Registered
4,538 Posts
No.
But my dirt tolerance is rather high. I consider it clean whenever I run the windshield wipers.

· Banned
28,106 Posts

· Registered
15,934 Posts
Do you pay to get your car detailed or do you do it yourself? Why?
No. I don't pay for a detail. No. I do not do it myself.
1. I live in Los Angeles. Within a few days of just washing the exterior of a car, there is a layer of fire ash or dust. In my neighborhood, my driveway is directly under the bee line to the hive. Unlike the female mayor of a podunk town in Florida, I understand that the yellow stuff is from the bees and not some racist attack.
2. My car is 15 years old. I keep it clean inside and wash the dust off the outside.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.