Do You "Over-Tip" in Restaurants?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Uncle Mark, Jul 1, 2020.

1. greg vanstralen

greg vanstralen

Depends: Good service gets more; rudeness gets very little! I've been known to tip bus people if they take care of me, more than the wait people!

BTW: If you leave NO TIP, they may think you forgot, leave a few cents and they know you didn't FORGET!

picrthis likes this.
  2. Jonesee

Jonesee

I live in Florida and the only time they have added the tip was when there was a huge party. Every restaurant does that.

3. FCastle88

FCastle88

Perhaps people who have other options wouldn't do it for that. But how many jobs can consistently average $20-$30/hour(possibly much more in case of bartenders/high end restaurants) pretty much anywhere in the US without a degree, skilled trade, or doing backbreaking manual labor?

4. FCastle88

FCastle88

I agree with tipping higher for a cheap breakfast/eating at a cheap diner.

However not necessarily at buffets. At say your typical chinese buffet the server is just doing busboy work, and has 2x-3x times as many tables as a server would at a regular restaurant. Usually they wait till the plates pile up to take them away, and half the time I have to flag down a random server to get a drink refill. If everyone still tipped the same as a regular restaurant they'd be getting 2x-3x the tips for half the work.

Now if we're talking a buffet with a regular menu people in the party ordered from as well, or a high end buffet with a ton of servers keeping your drinks full and table cleared, then I'd tip normally.

5. FCastle88

FCastle88

Normally I don't tip when picking up chinese food, pizza, etc., for takeout. Lately I've been tipping a few bucks for that since dine in was shut down. Now that restaurants are open again I'm tipping the usual amount. Presumably the servers were getting partial or full unemployment with the extra $600/week while the restaurants were shut down/only doing takeout. They shouldn't need money thrown at them left and right.

6. Pluto57

Pluto57

Of course, if you're getting poor service, it doesn't make sense to tip higher, but the buffets we frequent give pretty good service. I don't buy into notion that buffet servers get 2 or 3 times as much in tips because so many people don't tip them very well (look in the mirror, for instance). I tip higher at buffets just because most people don't. But you do you and I'll do me and everyone will be happy. Well, maybe not the servers at buffets...

7. Tvov

Tvov

No, I don't consider tips "income" for tax purposes. People don't HAVE to tip, as evidenced by all the "do you tip?" threads on GT.

In Connecticut, the state ASSUMES wait staff will get tips, and they ASSUME how much those tips will be, then they tax that. I have talked to friends who have worked in restaurants about that, and some days (usually during the week) the tips are much lower due to fewer people, but the state still taxes them as if they are getting the average amount of tips (which is assumed in the first place).

Income for an employee is what the company, or in this case restaurant, pays you. It is fully tracked and accounted for, down to the penny.

The state is just making up numbers for tips, and then taxing those numbers. They started doing this before it became common to put tips on a credit card (which can be tracked). That is not right.

Whenever possible I tip using cash, not a credit card.

Cubdriver likes this.
  8. FCastle88

FCastle88

Well the Federal government and pretty much every state that has a state income tax disagree with you. Tips make up almost all of servers' income, so not taxing tips would have them working almost tax free.

The IRS also assumes a certain tip %, as most cash tips probably aren't being reported. However that % is so low(8%) that to be not getting even that % in tips you would have to be either working in a really crappy restaurant or just not very good at your job. I don't know how CT does it but it seems pretty odd that they would assume a certain number per shift and not a % of the server's sales. It's possible that on a slow day/shift they may be below that amount, however on a good day/weekend shift they'll more than make up for it. It should balance itself out. However many servers like to use that and misinformation about minimum wage to try to guilt people into tipping even more.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  9. picrthis

picrthis

sometimes it is

Ramjet38 likes this.
  10. FCastle88

FCastle88

I said they'd be raking in 2x-3x as much tips IF people tipped the same, which is why most don't. At that type of buffet the patrons are doing most of the servers job getting their own food. The servers are basically just busboys who refill your drink and have 2x-3x as many tables as actual server would. Most people tip accordingly, and even if they average say 10% in tips they should still be getting decent money for pretty simple work having all the extra tables.

11. picrthis

picrthis

good way for them to be hauled off to Jail on Federal charges then

deputy tom likes this.
  12. rangerhgm

rangerhgm NRA Member

Depending on the service......but my wife over tips all the time.....I tell her just don't tell me the amount.....lol

13. picrthis

picrthis

standard maybe in Miami but NOT elsewhere in FL

14. ray9898

ray9898

Well....because it is their income. That is why many states allow servers to be compensated well below the legal minimum wage. The Feds, States, foodservice industry and the servers know their income is based primarily on tips.

15. Jonesee

Jonesee

In 25 years I've lived in St Johns County south of Jacksonville, Seminole County north of Orlando, Santa Rosa County north of Pensacola and Broward County north of Ft Lauderdale over the years. I've travelled extensively on business and pleasure throughout the state. I've never had a mandatory tip other than as a host for a large party.

I know that waitstaff are allowed to add a mandatory tip to customers that routinely stiff them.

16. grecco

grecco

Jonesee likes this.
  17. deputy tom

deputy tom Gringo Viejo

Try to prove it. YMMV. tom.

18. pittpa

pittpa What did I come in here for?

Fortress of Solitude on 11th floor - SW PA 'burbs
    Yes I do. I’ve no way to tell how many Glocktalkers have been frequenting the place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

19. MulletLoad

MulletLoad

That's all they talk about at Rachel's :D

PBCounty likes this.
  20. MulletLoad

MulletLoad

Pretty common in Miami Dade.

Probably because of the Euro trash that typically doesn't tip at home as is unaware of the custom here.