close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Do you make low offers on items not moving?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by gwalchmai, Nov 10, 2012.

1. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

If you see an item for sale on a forum and it's just not moving, do you ever make lowball offers on it just to see what'll happen? I do sometimes, and explain that I'm not trying to insult the seller, but that the item is not worth more to me than my offer.

I've had the expected gamut of "insulted" responses, polite refusals, and surprisingly, takers, so I think it's worth trying.

2. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

If you actually do your homework first, and determine that an item has been for sale for quite a while, a low offer is perfectly reasonable. However, there are a few jackhandles on this site (and others) who simply troll the classifieds offering 10% of the asking price on pretty much everything listed. They're the Silverado pop-up ad of the classifieds.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012

3. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

I wouldn't do 10%, but I have bought things for 75% of the asking price.

4. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

I've never understood people getting offended at an offer. If someone makes an offer on the items I have listed in classifieds (hint hint) I see it as a sign of someone who knows how business is done. I can always counter offer. More often then not we come to a mutually agreeable amount in the middle.

Then again, I love haggling. I haggle for almost every item I buy. I have saved literally thousands over the years by not simply accepting the first offer a seller makes.

5. GlockPride

GlockPride Glock 23

Take the opposite: many times as a seller I'll mark items UP over what I'm willing to accept to see if I can make more all the while knowing full well that I might only get 75-80% of starting price. Also, rarely does anyone ever offer MORE THAN asking price, but it does happen with gentlemen sometimes. I think most of us ask more to slightly more when selling because we know other guys want to feel like they worked us over and got a good deal.
    An offer is just that- an offer. Three things can happen: acceptance, rejection or counter offer. Some people that reject reasonable offers don't care if anything ever sells; they are content to let it gather dust or rot. When I'm ready to move something I want it gone as I am a minimalist. Gone= more important than $ to me.

Offer away, you never know how much you might save. If you really want an item you could always come back and raise your offer to get the item. And yes, offering 10% of the asking price is ridiculous imnsho.

Have a great day!

6. skinny99

skinny99 Crew Chief

I have never done it with guns. I was big into Golf and golf equipment for a while. I used to wait for an ad to get 3 or 4 days old (that was old on that forum). And I would make realistic but low offers. Always polite and respectful. Sometimes I was able to buy the stuff and sometimes I didn't. The other thing I did that helped was I paid quick and wasn't in a hurry to get it shipped. Gives the seller an easy road.

Only issue I ever had. Bought a driver, when I received it I hit about 5 balls with it and hated it. I polished it up, took good pictures and sold it for more than the seller I bought it from was asking originally. He posted what I paid him for it. The guy that bought it from me didn't care. It was still a decent deal. Still gave great feedback.

I have bought a lot online. Some tips for sellers:
    1) Take lots of good pictures
    2) Give a clear,concise description and make sure spelling and punctuation are correct
    3) Get the item in the best possible condition (clean,polished)
    4) Include any accessories or add-ons in the ad
    5) Respond quickly to offers or questions

This all common sense, unfortunately common sense isn't that common anymore!

7. frizz

frizz

A seller won't hesitate to put a high price on a hot item, so "do the math."

8. frizz

frizz

75% is usually good negotiation.

When selling to a friend, I ask in the low-middle of the going rate. If they ask for anything off, I'll point out that I put it at the low end, but still take a little off.

I don't screw friends, but I won't screw a stranger, either.

I also don't like doing business with friends.

9. CBennett

CBennett

10. Thumpernator

Thumpernator

If a person only offered 10% of the asking price, I just ignore it and don't even respond to it. It's probably from "that guy" who offers the same on other ads. They are the ones who are just trying to make money and have no intentions of actually using the item. I know, nothing illegal about it, but I also don't have to deal with them.

Also, people should respect the seller and not make a low ball offer when the seller has included "Firm" on his price. On a R/C site where I've sold stuff, I've had such ridiculously low offers that I broke from my usual ignore stance and told them I would throw the item in the trash before I'd sell it for that price. You guys know the type I'm talking about.

11. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

I always respect a "firm". I also think it's kind of foolish because I'd much rather sell for a few dollars less than have to lower a "firm". Kills your credibility, I think.

12. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

I may make LOW offers. But they are ones I will stand behind. Just bought a item. Asking price $1200 I offered $800. He offered to toss in @ $75 worth of extras so I offered $900. He was happy and agreed.
    I had a relative in sales. He said he dang near had to go in break room and do "happy dance" when folks paid asking price. $$$
    More then once I have told seller. "I think its worth more then ($$$) but ($$$) is all its worth to me right now. I hope you get more. BUT if you don't my offer stands." (till end of month/similar time frame) Its amazing how many will call me back (within hrs) and say "come and get it"

13. Brucev

Brucev

From time to time I've sold items on-line. Those who want and item pay the price states. Those who are just wasting their time offering their price get to have the fun of wasting their time.

In stores I frequent I will from time to time notice an item that has been on the shelf/in the sales case for a long period of time. From time to time I will get to talking with the owner and see if they are open to a offer. And, from time to time, that owner and I come to a meeting of the minds. He gets paid. I take the item home.

That is how I ended up buying a Seiko chronograph for $78 rather than a Citizen. Guess they'd had the Seiko long enough. Cool. That is also how I ended up buying a S&W 21-4 NIB for $525 OTD. It had sat in the dealers case for almost three years when I chanced to find the store and go inside. Guess he was tired of looking at it. I was pleased take it home. At that price, I'd have taken two or three of them home!

14. TK-421

TK-421

When I sell stuff I usually price it a bit high, that way the "lowballs" are a bit closer to what I actually want. Generally, from what I've experienced, a lot of the low balls are percentage based, and not a flat money amount, unless the guy is a ******. So I tack on a few extra bucks so when someone comes by and low balls by lets say 30-40%, it's closer to what I actually want than it normally would've been. And therefore it hopefully takes less time haggling the person up to the price I really want. He feels good because he felt like he low balled me and haggled me down to a low price, and I feel good because I sold it for the price I wanted.

15. alwaysshootin

alwaysshootin

I agree, but we all know that when you see "FIRM", and it's priced too high, it isn't going to sell anyway. So I just walk away. On the other hand, if it's something I'm looking for, and it's priced right, I just say I'll take it!

Had a gentlemen in C-Bus selling a Ruger LC9 for $250 yesterday, but he wouldn't travel this way. Figuring the cost of fuel, for the round trip, made it not such a great deal. Then there was another that didn't say firm, but was selling for $350, only a half hour away. Asked if he could come down to 3, and his response was, he was loosing money already. Go figure! Guess he bought it new, at the wrong place.

16. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Well, of course you stand behind it. That's why you make the offer.

17. Hamilton Burger

Hamilton Burger Incompetent

Business is business, and if cash is required, so be it. But horse-trading can be alot of fun too. For instance, I have a friend with a gun store. If something in his used guns or holsters isn't moving, he'll usually swap me for something I'm not using. I get to try different things I wouldn't normally buy, and he keeps his stock "fresh" :thumbsup:

In one of my bigger trades I swapped my motorcycle for a Camaro, then the Camaro for a Wagoneer.

18. CAcop

CAcop

I have but it was for stuff sitting a long time. As in 6 months or more. I offered around 10-20% off of list. Never got an "okay, sold."

Now offering for sale I have just offered stuff at low prices just to get it off of my hands. I also do my homework too.

Some retard at work a decade ago bought an HK compact for around a grand. He was trying to sell it for $950. I really don't care if he only shot a few hundred rounds through it or he has a bunch of leather I can't use. A lot of other people felt that way too because last I heard he still has it.

19. 757CC

757CC

It's always a balancing act. I will offer $XXX which is what I will pay. Seller can take it, counter, or decline. I have gotten some crazy deals. Same goes when I list things for sale. I tend to price right fair to both buyer and me. Some people are too uptight. I do see people who buy high and think they will break even.

20. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

I don't get insulted if someone lowballs me, and I don't give a damn if someone gets offended when I lowball them. I'll be damned if I spend one penny too much just to protect some candyass's fragile little ego.