GlockTalk Forum banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
12,295 Posts
People's tolerance changes during a lifetime.

I would go with my son for cajan french fries every Saturday. Not sure I could handle it now.

:pI love Sichuan. Not sure I could handle it today. The best I had was with the airport staff in Chengdu, PRC. Plane was delayed. Went in the back lunchroom with ground crew. I drank quite a bit of water that day.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
A little bit of tobasco or siracha depending on what I am eating is all. A little goes a long way.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Has anyone here done the "Pacqui One Chip Challenge"? It's supposedly the hottest potato chip on earth.

·
Native Mainiac
21,597 Posts
I used to like really, really hot stuff that was almost painful to eat, curries, chilli and the "nuclear" grade salami from Fortunas. But not so much now.
It's not the eating part that made me tone things down, it was having to go stick my bum in a snow bank the next morning.

·
Registered
65 Posts
No challenges! I learned a long time ago, the hard way. Some buddies and I were in a bar in Lake Worth, Fl. Had a few beers in the belly. Ordered some wings - told the waitress to tell the chef to make them as hot as he can. Big mistake.

·
Diva extraordinaire
15,908 Posts
I like spicy food, but not so hot that it burns. I like tabasco sauce, sriracha sauce, crushed red pepper, and jalapenos . Habanero sauce is too hot for me.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Yah in my youth was as into the "hot as I can get" stuff. Now I've mellowed, and am enjoying Truff hot sauce.
Also just ordered some Ghost Pepper Wing Dust, and that's pretty good also, although not as hot as you might think given the name.

·
NRA Benefactor
7,270 Posts
Many, many years ago I was in Kill Devil Hills NC for our late November surf fishing trip with the guys. After a pleasant day fishing and driving the beach we headed back to the cottage for a few more beers, a shower, and a dip in the outdoor hot tub. Then we walked up the beach road to the The Thai Room.

The owner knew us and came over to offer us a dozen fresh soft shell crabs someone just dropped off. Oh yeah. He asked how we would like them prepared. The menu lists options of mild, medium and HOT. They're still open btw, his son runs the place. I've had the HOT.

Anyway, we were feeling no pain so we said, "Pan fry them with sauce like you would at home."

OMG. We knew his given name really wasn't Jimmy and we knew he used to have a restaurant in DC iirc and we knew he had lots of family still in Thailand that he visited every year. But we didn't know how he seasoned his food at home. Two bites, broke out in a heavy sweat all over. It was a really good meal, but I'll never do it again.

edited to add: I just checked their menu for the heck of it - must be lunchtime - and the choices have increased.

"No Hot, Mild, Medium, Hot or Thai Hot"

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
My mom’s from Texas, so I grew up with a lot of Tex - Mex (even though she was from East Texas). Then a friend introduced me to Indian food in high school. I’d eat vindaloo for breakers if I... wait, I HAVE eaten vindaloo for breakfast.

·
****** Viejo
29,008 Posts
I like Buffalo Hot Wings, Chinese I order medium hot dishes and Mexican I eat how ever they cook it. tom.

·
Wut?
2,456 Posts
My favorite hot sauce for many years was Spontaneous Combustion from Southwest Specialty Foods. It's not the hottest stuff in the world, but it's made with habaneros and capsicum extract, so it's pretty damn hot. More importantly though, it tastes good.

Unfortunately, since being diagnosed with ulcerative colitis, I've had to give it up, although it took a long time. These days, I make do with sriracha sauce.

·
Mountain Man
6,897 Posts
Yes, I want my food hot enough to cause me to sweat! But pure heat for the sake of heat is not the goal; the goal is to have wonderful, flavorful food that is also smoking hot.

I will sacrifice heat for flavor, but ideally I want my food to be full of both flavor and heat. Often times that means offsetting the heat with some sweetness, which allows for the full complement of flavors to be appreciated. Adding a bit of fruit is often a useful tool to add just a bit of sweetness. I love to use Granny Smith apples in salsa and guacamole to add a bit of sweetness. On more than one occasion I made guacamole or salsa which is perfect for my palate but way to hot for others; quickly chop up a Granny Smith and mix it in and then it become palatable for others.

If I am using a recipe as a guide, I generally feel safe multiplying the amount of hot peppers or garlic by a factor of 2 to 10 depending on the situation.

An example of where I would not multiply the amount of peppers is for something like chipotle cheesecake, a little goes a long way. If you have not had chipotle cheesecake - it is great. When you take a bite it tastes just like a regular cheesecake with perhaps the slightest hint of chipotle but after you have swallowed the bite, you get the tiniest wave of heat flowing over your tongue. Very interesting sensation.

·
Registered
4,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
I tried to convince my guy to do a “Hot Challange” with his hot paste.

Do a burrito with like quarter cup of the hot paste in one of his Big Mega Burreto. Eat the thing in 30 minutes, get name on wall of fame.

DJA guy initials said too much liability, and chance of death from the the heat, and kick.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts