Do you let rude ederly people slide?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by [email protected], Feb 11, 2013.

1. Pawcatch@aol.co

[email protected]

I've been thinking what to do about this.
    Last month I was at the Wal-Mart deli getting some chicken when a woman about 80 cut in front of me.
    This woman walked up and asked the associate if he could hold the next two chicken breasts they cook for her,but he told her she'd have to fill out a card then she got frustrated because she didn't want to do that.She finally walked off in a huff.

The question is what should I have done?I just waited untill she gave up and I went back to ordering again.She was rude to both me and the Wal-Mart associate,but I didn't want to possibly get into an altercation with a woman that old.Even though she started it,I think the law would have sided with her.The Wal-Mart associate knows me and thanked me for not losing my temper because I got fired from Honda for confrontation with another worker.
    So I was really trying to be the good guy there.

What would you have done?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  2. skeeter7

skeeter7 Brass Vulture

I would probably just let the elder person slide. But I would be standing there steaming the whole time while biting my tongue.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013

3. Goldendog Redux

Goldendog Redux Shut your mouth

Who cares? You gonna get in a shouting match with grandma or grandpa at wal mart?

4. PBCounty

PBCounty

I kinda let everyone slide. I don't think elderly get any special treatment at all...if in the mood they are subject to the same words as everyone else - living in S. FL they kinda are everyone else. That said, I let it all slide unless they are being persistent.

5. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

If that's the worst thing that happens to you this week, call it a good week.

80 year olds have nothing to lose by elbowing you out of the way. When you're 80, you're going to do the same thing if you can still move that well.

6. kiole

kiole

I would have ordered all the chicken breast they had and then threw it away in front of her:whistling:

I work for a lot of elderly people and they have a tendency to treat service workers like dirt. Many dont think the rules apply to them and they deserve special treatment. I've told quite a few straight where to go.

7. Pawcatch@aol.co

[email protected]

I think you're right,but that sort of thing is really frowned upon here in rural Georgia.I could have easily got into a real altercation if a passerby saw me doing that.

Georgia has about the third lowest population of seniors in the country per capita I believe.So we don't have to put up with that many here,but the ones who do stay here are put on a pedestal.

Btw,I also thought it was wierd her just wanting two chicken breasts.Most people order food by the pound at the Wal-Mart deli.

8. LawScholar

LawScholar

Some people are dicks. Old or not, it's usually not worth the stress making a stand about it.

9. spork

spork Caffeinator

I usually just roll my sleeves up and scream "Its on Cuz" or "Nobody puts Spork in a corner"!

10. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

I've always been most impressed with people who can handle such situations with grace, so I try to emulate them. I don't always succeed, but I am still learning... ;)

11. Psychman

Psychman NRA Patriot Life Member

Anger management therapy OP?

12. GLWyandotte

GLWyandotte Señor Member

13. md2lgyk

md2lgyk

You, sir, need to find another line of work. You're clearly not suited for your current job.

14. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Yes. Sometimes. Also be aware that a lot of older people see younger people's attitudes as atrocious, so there's room for accommodation on both sides.

15. pipedreams

pipedreams "Knowledge Speaks - Wisdom Listens,"

I doubt if age has anything to do with it. She was probably rude when she was younger. Some people are rude regardless of age. I have noticed sometimes younger people tend be disrespectful to older people also. I was having coffee with my brother in McDonald's a while back and someone he knew came over to speak to him and the guy made a unnecessary comment about a group older people sitting in the corner booth with nothing better to do. My brother replied yes they come in every day for about a hour they are retired. A couple of them are retired teachers and the older black gentlemen is a retired local judge. That pretty well ended the conversation.

16. costanza187

costanza187 I like Macs

Unless they ask nicely, I won't get off their lawn.

Seriously though, best to just let it slide.

17. RedTop

RedTop

She was probably an off-duty receipt checker. That kind of power can really go to one's head.

18. sierrafast

sierrafast Coleccionista

Most of the times I do unless I am having a bad day.

19. svtpwnz

svtpwnz

It takes alot more than some old geezer cutting in front of me at WalMart to get me bent out of shape. Just not worth my time and they'll be dead soon enough anyways.

20. Paul53

Paul53 You local friendly Skynet dealer

Little old lady passing bye! Bye, bye, bye!