close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Do you know what good beef tastes like?

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by vart, Jun 30, 2004.

1. vart

vart

I grew up in Idaho, where we have free-range cattle. Meat tastes okay. I grew up eating improperly prepared deer and elk. I wasn't really into steaks or fine cuts of meat. I enjoyed a good burger, and that was about it.
    Then, I met and married a girl from Iowa. She loves steak and complains how the meat in Idaho isn't too good.
    We moved to Iowa in January. A friend from Idaho visited us last month and my wife went and bought 3 rib-eye steaks that she put some rub on and I grilled them on the old gas grille.
    Holy cow!! Those were the juiciest, tenderest, best-tasting steaks I have ever had in my life!
    It was unbelievable. My friend couldn't believe them. He remarked that they were the best steaks he's ever had, including $50 ones in nice restaurants. He was trying to convince us to ship some out to Idaho so he could sell them to local fine eateries for big bucks.
    They were that good;P .
    In Iowa, since most of the land is used for crops, all the cattle are fed a diet consisting of mostly corn, and some alfalfa.
    Since the deer out here eat lots of corn in the fall, I can't wait to shoot one and see how good it tastes;) .
    So, do you know what REALLY good beef tastes like? I thought I did, until I had Iowa beef.

2. OSSI

OSSI Litter Kitty CLM

I know exactly what you are talking about
    :)
    Welcome to Australian grain feed beef country
    And don't forget home made bread and a glas (or two) of nice red wine.;) ;)

3. noway

noway

One of my all times best steak ( sirloin and prime-ribs ) where in Iowa, near the MN border in Estherville & my second best steak was on the Iowa/Illinois border in Muscatine in my hotel lobby.

Both of these meals with the salad and trimmings where under $25.00 and out beat any of the steaks that I 've had in fine 5stars restrauants like Magnum, Gibson or Ruth Chris.

Now if I can get Iowaian from stop putting applesauce on my porks chops ;)

4. 357glocker

357glocker

I didn't know pork chops where edible without applesauce;)

Yep, IA, NE have some of the best quality beef/venison in the country. You can always ship them a care package from Omaha Steaks.

5. SouthernGal

SouthernGal What's Up Dox?

Yeah, I know what good beef tastes like.

By good beef I mean one we raised ourselves, didn't give any hormones to, and had to feed 2x a day even in the dead of winter.

I grew to hate that animal, especially when there was snow on the ground and it was my turn to feed it.

Personally, I prefer venison. I guess that's because Dad doesn't raise cattle anymore and it makes me sick to think about the beef I get in the grocery store and how many hormones the animal had in his system before being butchered.

6. CZ-75A

CZ-75A

Don't forget antibiotics. Grain fed cattle get the "runs" from all that rich food and they, when on feedlots, end up ingesting their waste, hence the need for antibiotics to keep them healthy.

7. grantglock

grantglock /dev/null

I have steak several times a week. Lots of farmer friends here in Iowa so meat is either really cheap or free for me. In fact I just went home for lunch and grilled a steak; baked potato in the microwave. All for less than $3.50 and I'll bet it was better than the most expensive steak in a big city restaurant. I can't wait to get home, i'm going to have a thick pork chop.

8. jawjaboy

jawjaboy Casual lead ho

So right SouthernGal... and still doin' it today.

9. SouthernGal

SouthernGal What's Up Dox?

I can't tell you the number of times I walked to the barn with snow on the ground. I'd feed that stupid animal and think to myself that the day they'd send him to the butcher couldn't come soon enough.

10. Tennessee Slim

Tennessee Slim Señor Member CLM

Dead of winter ...snow on the ground? That’s a key element, too. The beef won't be well-marbled if they don't live in cold enough of a climate.

11. vart

vart

That is not a problem in Iowa. Coldest it got this year was -12, and this was a mild winter.

12. Tennessee Slim

Tennessee Slim Señor Member CLM

It can be too cold, too. Grain-fed beef from Iowa and Nebraska is widely regarded to be as good as it gets on North America (anybody ever heard of a little company called Omaha Steaks?). I suppose they’re located at just the right latitude to produce optimum marbeling.