Do you keep the skins of deer?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by emt1581, Jun 27, 2005.

1. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

I'm really anxious to get out next season and bag my first deer.

I'd like to butcher the animal myself and salvage the hide to make a rug or maybe a piece of clothing or something.

Does anyone else do such a thing as opposed to paying a butcher AND losing the hide???

Thanks

-Emt1581

2. noway

noway

Don't know what your talking about, but most butchers/processing plants in my area and other areas don't except game animals with hides on. You bring a quatered or whole skinned animal to them. They do no skinning what so ever, nor do they do anything with hides to preserved it for later tanning.

If you want the hide and plan on getting it tanned, then skin your animal yourself. It's not that hard. If you do skin the hide try a sml knife blade, make gently cuts, and go slow to avoid cutting thru the hide. Salt or Freeze it before getting it tan, and doing storage. Remove most of the fat,blood and dirt before storage. For the fleas and tickls, buy one of those flea&tick fogger, place the hide in a garbage bag and fog the hell out of the skin. Within about 30mins, all parasite should be dead or dying.

suggestion:If you never tan a hide on a game animal, I would not suggest trying on your 1st shoot prize deer. Hunt a smaller animals like a rabbit or maybe a coon, practice on them before doing a deer hide. Your 1st hide should go to a professional with numerous hours and years at doing this.

What I've been doing with hides, that I keep it bartering the hide to a new beginner Taxidermist, who is trying to get experience in such thing, I give him hides off coons for $1.50 each or after X amount of hides he gives me something in return, that was blemish or not 100%. I also given him ducks that I don't eat and he gave me a not so looking bad Northern Shoverler back. It all about helping others ;)

So save that hide.

3. BlackBelt

BlackBelt

There is an excellent video available (usually at sporting goods stores like BassPro Shop, Sportsmans Warehouse etc...) called "Deer Processing; From the Field to the Table"
    It tells you how to skin a deer, and there are several other books and DVD's available on tanning hides. You can buy all of what you need online.
    If you haven't done this before, I would STRONGLY suggest that you talk to someone who has. This is labor intensive effort to do on your own. If you just want the one deer hide, and no more, it would probably be more practical to have a pro do it for you. And, if you have others living in the house with you, you'll probably need somewhere other than the garage to do the work. It's a smelly business.
    If you have an interest in this sort of thing, pick up a copy of Fur-Fish-Game magazine. They have all the supplies you need for sale in that magazine, as well as tips that are 'off the beaten path'.
    I'm in TN, and all the processing houses here that I've been to accept deer anyway that you bring 'em in. They'll even field dress them for a few bucks more. 99% of the deer that I see coming into the processing houses are just field-dressed (guts removed), and everything else is still intact. The first thing they do before they take the deer inside is cut off the lower legs, and if you want to keep the rack they'll cut off the head.
    HTH
    BlackBelt

4. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Thanks for the info!:)

-Emt1581

5. El Dave

El Dave

I've done it exactly one time. I recall salvaging hardwood ashes from the fireplace. I had to buy lime I believe. And borax I think. I was really satisfied with the result. But it was a lot of work.

Just remember that the Indians did the same thing using only the brains of the animal and stone tools and wood. And the reslults were much nicer. (suede on both sides).

I am in no way recomending this approach. This is only to demonstrate that with the internet at your fingertips, you should be able to easily find satisfaction.

Good luck bagging your deer. And be sure to post the results should you decide to preserve the hide.

;c ;c ;c

6. randyrat

randyrat

If you were in Wisconsin I'd be happy to show you how to completly dress a deer and butcher it with only a 6" knife I do it every year for myself and a few friends. With CWD around the experts recomend NOT cutting into bones, spinal cords, or brain tissue. It saves a lot of work by not sawing anything. Besides defatted,boneless venison is much better this way. When you use a saw you drag bone dust and fat over all the meat leaving a bad taste. A few years ago my buddies wanted me to make a vidio of this type of proccesing deer. Lets just say I'm kinda camera shy. It never happened.---Wish I could help you out-- PA. is too far.Let me know if you have any questions, I used to be a butcher. We get closer to deer hunting I'll have to get a recipe thread going. I enjoy good clean,well handle venison on the grill.

7. randyrat

randyrat

Do a search on how to skin a deer properly. You also can learn how to "CAPE" a trophy deer. It's a good thing to know if you ever trophy hunt and want to make a "CAPE MOUNT" out of your trophy deer. Sorry I got carried away on butchering deer last thread.

8. bustedknee

bustedknee The Snowflakes have invaded GT

I shoot a 338 magnum and usually there is no skin left. ;i ;i ;i ;i ;i ;i

I knew a taxidermist once that each fall bought a stack of tanned deerhides from commerically harvested deer in New Zealand.

Whenever a deer hunter came in with his stinky, improperly skinned, deer hide and asked to have it tanned, my friend would toss it in the garbage then tell the guy to pick out one of the New Zealand hides.

Quicker, easier, and cheaper.

9. f1b32oPTic

f1b32oPTic R4d104c71v3

i pretty much use a 4" knife for the whole thing except chopping the legs off at the knees which i use a hatchet for because it is 250X faster than a hacksaw

10. mikedb

mikedb

In Michigan most processors will give you the hide if you want it. I heard some might charge $5 more to process the deer, but I have not encountered this in SE MI. I pay $60 and this includes all meat wrapped in freezer paper, quick frozen and labled. It isnot worth my time to do it myslef and I worked my way through college as a meat cutter.