Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Inquisitive
13,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know many auto insurance companies now have automatic coverage for your pets..... if you have collision coverage now a days, though some don't. And many seem to depend on whether you were at fault or not before they will pay out.

But there are some companies that will cover one's pet, whether or not they were at fault.....as long as they have collision coverage. Mine does that. The coverage is up to $1000.00 per pet, at fault or not. More coverage can be bought for an extra fee if desired. But I selected to just go with the normal coverage.

Do you have that sort of "pet" coverage? What are some of the ways you guys carry your pets with you? How does it's size make you take different precautions? Do you carry it inside or outside?

Just want to hear some examples, thanks.

·
Registered
4,472 Posts
We have a stand alone health insurance policy for our animals outside of any auto related incidents. It costs us only $60 a month and has saved us thousands in vet bills in the past year alone.

·
Registered
8,466 Posts
Uh, no. Its an animal. I would be sad to lose a pet but I can always get another one.

·
Registered
4,472 Posts
So are you. So am I.

But no, I don't have pet insurance on my auto coverage.
And I cannot speak for anyone else, but most dogs I meet are a higher caliber animal than a lot of the people i meet. :)

·
Premium Member
6,713 Posts
I was one of those people that initially thought pet insurance was a little over the top until just one of my dogs has run up over $15,000 in vet and Rx bills.

It's a crap shoot. I have two dogs going on 12 years old. One has cost me a fortune and the other has never had a problem. One policy would have been a complete waste of money and the other would have been a God send.

But, this is about car insurance. If the cost of pet injury coverage is inexpensive and provides good coverage, I'd say it is worth it. Vets have become very expensive. Surgery for a couple of broken legs or a leg amputation costs a fortune now.

You can come out of a wreck uninjured and insurance fixes the car but your unrestrained dog get pin balled and you can be out thousands of dollars.

·
Banned
62,270 Posts
My dog is tragically uninsured. I am hoping the President will do something about it. Insurance is a basic canine right.

·
Glock Sportsman
1,363 Posts
Nope, I don't currently have any pets besides the ones in my pond.

·
Some Dude
7,981 Posts
Uh....Nope.

I love my dogs. Not something I see necessary for me.

:wavey:

red

·
I like Macs
7,683 Posts
I am pretty sure it is included in my Progressive policy...my cat rarely travels, except to get her vaccinations.

·
Inquisitive
13,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
But, this is about car insurance. If the cost of pet injury coverage is inexpensive and provides good coverage, I'd say it is worth it. Vets have become very expensive. Surgery for a couple of broken legs or a leg amputation costs a fortune now.

You can come out of a wreck uninjured and insurance fixes the car but your unrestrained dog get pin balled and you can be out thousands of dollars.

Yeah, that's pretty much where I was coming from. It comes with my policy automatically, don't have to pay for it separately.

Shucks, I can get me self doctored cheaper than I can my dogster many times. Although I don't have a stand alone policy for them, don't know much about them to be honest.

May have to look into that. Seems these days, any time one visits a doctor of any kind........cha $$$$ ching! Insurance for Spike, Killer, and Taz may be worthwhile.

·
Inquisitive
13,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am pretty sure it is included in my Progressive policy...my cat rarely travels, except to get her vaccinations.

Yep, that's me.....Progressive.

·
Banned
5,471 Posts

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
I was one of those people that initially thought pet insurance was a little over the top until just one of my dogs has run up over $15,000 in vet and Rx bills.

It's a crap shoot. I have two dogs going on 12 years old. One has cost me a fortune and the other has never had a problem. One policy would have been a complete waste of money and the other would have been a God send.
It's a gamble to be sure. One in which we gambled the wrong direction: one of our two dogs has a heart condition and will need a valve job. It's not going to be cheap. But, my dogs are family. If it came down to my dog dying or the neighbors kid dying, the neighbors kid would be under the bus.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts