Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
25,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We have lots of framed professional taken pictures on display - grandkids mostly but a lot of our family too. Several from back when our kids were young.

Some are really old and have been up so long we don’t even “see” them.

Thinking maybe it is time to take some down-

My wife brought it up - we are taking a fresh look -

I ask her - if we moved into a new house would you hang these pictures?

She said most likely no - maybe just a few current pictures of the grandkids.

What does GT say?

Reactions: n2g

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
All of my family photos were reduced to ash when my house burned in 2011.
My wife has come up with some old photos of relatives from her side, but nothing from my side.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Yes I do. Mostly older photos of long departed, often unknown to me, relatives. Some from the late 19th and early 20th century.

Interesting, and a bit odd, to see a photo of my grandfather - who I knew all of my life until his death at 83 - as a young Marine of 18. If you have a lot of photos, they can always be rotated. Keep them all. They occupy very little space. And then display what you want.

Reactions: mj9mm and n2g

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
I have senior pictures of my sons on the wall. A picture of my sisters and a picture of my parents on tables. Most of the rest of them are taken down because they included my betraying ex wife.

·
M62/76
12,541 Posts
Lots of family pics scattered throughout the house, none professionally done though.

Reactions: mj9mm

·
Caffeinator
5,994 Posts
They are definitely not my thing. I don't like pictures of people on the walls. I am more of a natural scenic or mural kind of guy. I actually went through a cleaning phase a few years ago and tossed all of my photos.

If I ever need to get some photos to put on the wall on short notice, I will just buy some frames from a department store with the complimentary smiling family already in them.

As an aside, I think you can tell a lot about a person based on their wall coverings and displayed photos. For instance, the most arrogant and self-obsessed girl I ever dated had a professionally-done 8.5x11 framed image of her own face by her bedside.

Reactions: Longbow

·
Registered
946 Posts
Nope. I know what my mom and sister and dad look like. I’ve never been into looking at or keeping photos. I got three photos on my phone all hot chicks in bikinis I use for my wallpaper on phone and pad. Of course pop is dead so he’s probably not looking to good the old coot.

·
Native Mainiac
23,845 Posts
Yes, have pics of the family. My two favorite are one taken of all of seven kids around 1968 while sitting on the couch in the living room. The other is one taken in 2011 of same subject on a different couch at a family reunion.

·
Why so serious?
65,926 Posts
Quite a few.

Sent from my Jackboot using Copatalk

Reactions: n2g

·
Registered
25,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
597 Posts
Here's kinda a funny story...

About 10 years ago I had the opportunity to go to Wales(UK) for work for a few weeks. One night, my company sponsor invited me to dinner with him at his neighbor's house, who just happened to be the mayor of the town.

During after dinner drinks we got on the subject of family heritage, and I explained that my wife was currently doing a lot of research/ancestry.com stuff to establish her DAR status.

I showed him what she had done on-line. Afterwards, the mayor said "let me show you mine." To my surprise, we got up and started a tour of the house. He explained that the house/property had been in his family for over 500 years, and had been added on to many times...so it was multiple levels (3 storys in places) and quite a large estate type structure. As we walked, ALL of the hallways throughout the house were lined with paintings/pictures of his ancestors...hundreds of them.

It reminded me of a Scooby Doo movie; I kept looking for the eyes to follow me.

·
Registered
25,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
When I went “home” to the house I grew up in -

BAM - right on the wall - me and my brother and sister when we were young kids. Plus all our high school graduation pictures. All in the same spot where they had been for decades.

My wife - same thing.

Made you feel like you were home.

The wall going up the stairs - full of portraits -

Is this normal or creepy?

·
Registered
13,558 Posts
Wife has lots of family photos in the house. I only have one photo of wife here with me.

·
Registered
25,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here's kinda a funny story...

About 10 years ago I had the opportunity to go to Wales(UK) for work for a few weeks. One night, my company sponsor invited me to dinner with him at his neighbor's house, who just happened to be the mayor of the town.

During after dinner drinks we got on the subject of family heritage, and I explained that my wife was currently doing a lot of research/ancestry.com stuff to establish her DAR status.

I showed him what she had done on-line. Afterwards, the mayor said "let me show you mine." To my surprise, we got up and started a tour of the house. He explained that the house/property had been in his family for over 500 years, and had been added on to many times...so it was multiple levels (3 storys in places) and quite a large estate type structure. As we walked, ALL of the hallways throughout the house were lined with paintings/pictures of his ancestors...hundreds of them.

It reminded me of a Scooby Doo movie; I kept looking for the eyes to follow me.
Yes, I think you are on to something- since the house was in the family all that time the portraits never get moved.

If you sell your house and move a few times then the old pictures don’t all get hung in the new location.

The baby pictures of my kids that are hanging on the wall next to my desk - have been there about 30 years. Like they are part of the wall. Only time they move is when we paint.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Yes, I think you are on to something- since the house was in the family all that time the portraits never get moved...
Yep. The shear fact that it was in his family for over 500 years blew me away...our COUNTRY has only been around for 240+ years.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts