Do you have a Will, Power of Attorney, Health Care Directive?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by ysr_racer, Oct 28, 2010.

1. ysr_racer

ysr_racer

Do you have a Will, Power of Attorney, Health Care Directive (Living Will, Health Care Power of Attorney)?

Well you should. Do your family a favor and get one done NOW. I did them on LegalZoom.com last week. Took about an hour and a ½ and cost about $150.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but at some point in time we're all going to die, even you.

2. ExxoticOne

ExxoticOne

I am a firm believer and advocate of them.

Having those documents prepared for my mother, at her behest, made a difficult time less stressful.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010

3. sawgrass

sawgrass

Yes, my SO and I sat down and discussed our feelings and concerns.
    We then saw an attorney and hopefully have everything we
    need for our last wishes to be carried out with as little family interference
    as possible. You can direct many of your assets with beneficiary forms.

4. Delta

Delta ThExtremeMember

Yes I have those documents ready to go.

5. Cheytac

Cheytac

6. Hines57

Hines57 Simple Member

Can I have DNR tattooed on my chest?

7. W420Hunter

W420Hunter

I have a will set up when I first got my life life insurance. From there I added on a living will. I saw what my uncle had to live through I do not want to live hooked up to a ton of ****. If I can not support my own life I don't want to live. Besides that I never could sleep on my back.

8. ExxoticOne

ExxoticOne

Real brief:

Advanced Directives allow you to convey end-of-life care decisions before you can't make them.

A Health Care Surrogate is someone you appoint to make decisions for you in the event you become incapacitated.

A DNR is an Advanced Directive order indicating you don't want CPR or other lifesaving measures.

A Living Will specifies the parameters of your health care decisions so that when you become incapacitated certain measures will or will not take place. For example, "yes" to CPR and "no" to a ventillator.

9. Marine8541

Marine8541 iseedeadpeople

I have everything except a power of attorney, don't need it. I'd just add go see a lawyer and skip legal zoom or places like that because some people will benefit better from a trust than a will but in some States you need a will to deal with minor children. Something so important should be done right so leave it to the pros and rest easy.

10. sdsnet

sdsnet NRA Member CLM

I printed out my will using software and had a couple of friends witness it but I have not notarized it. I'm wondering how much of a difference that makes, could be significant.

11. johnd

johnd

We have all of those and even unfiled divorce papers already signed by each other in case the other gets really sick.
    The HCD I carry but I really dont believe its going to happen as I know that we are directed to do all life saving actions to keep the victim alive and, should they wake and say "stop" then we are to stop until they fall unconscious again and then we resume. If they wake up and say to stop then we stop and the whole cycle continues.
    I also know that the Physicians will do the same as they just see patients as their lab rats.

12. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

For most people, I'd also reco using a real atty and not a website. In my biz, I've seen too many mistakes by either do-it-yourself or a do-all atty.

13. conservativenut

conservativenut

I’m working on it. Since my mom passed recently I am finally going to update my will and get my ex-husband off of it. Also am adding a Power of Attorney and Health Care Directive.

14. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Uhhhhh, all the difference in the world.

Without the notarization, the will is NOT self-proving. Which means your friends better be alive and available should you croak.

And it isn't just YOUR signature notarized, but yours AND your witnesses. So you best re-do it all and have it done at the bank or funeral home. (Both tend to have multiple people who can notarize stuff.)

15. Ersatz

Ersatz

Right on the head.

16. Buki192327

Buki192327

Have had all of those important papers, for almost 30 years. Will, power of attorney, healthcare power of attorney and healthcare directives.

I had friends, that didn't have the healthcare power of attorney and healthcare directives. He ended up having a very severe heart attack. Not having these important papers, caused a real mess, when his brain activity ceased. Even though he had verbally stated his wishes, several times, it was not in writing anyplace, which led to fighting in the family, as to what to do.

Twice in my life, I was put in the postion of having to use the healthcare power of attorney and healthcare directives. I was so glad to have these papers. Even with the directives, you never want to lose a loved one, but you know what their wishes are.

17. ysr_racer

ysr_racer

Uhhhh, not in CA. We don't notarize wills here. I gues it depends on where you live.

18. wavetrain75

wavetrain75 Useless Member

Jesus is my health insurance.

19. CBennett

CBennett

Of course I do. All done up nice and neat by a Lawyer.

20. ysr_racer

ysr_racer

You might want to have a "plan b" just in case.