close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Do you have a problem changing your carry gun?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by thegriz18, Feb 2, 2010.

1. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

I have been carrying a Glock 23 for about 1 1/2 years now. I'm only 23, been shooting this particular G23 since I was 17, so I am somewhat familiar with it. I recently went on a buying and trading spree. I wanted to change or add another carry gun. I bought an S&W 4566. Nice gun, big, heavy, not a very good DA trigger, so I traded it for an XD45c (Wish I had that 4566 back). I thought at first how awesome the XD45c was. I was enamored with it. I started to shoot it and I picked it apart in every way possible. I ended up trading it for a Sig P6. I love the P6, I really do. This is a very nice 9mm. I have thought about making it a CCW, but again, I always find a reason not too. It's heavy, it only holds 9 rounds, it has feed issues with some JHP's, etc... I think you see my point. I always find myself coming back to my trusty G23.

Does anyone else have this happen to them?

2. viniglock

viniglock

Nope, I am good. :whistling:
    CCW for a long time.

3. .357 Glocker

.357 Glocker

It took me years to switch to Glock from my Sig 229 and 239 even after I knew the Glock was better. Also, I keep carrying my 32 even though I know I should be carrying my 19.

4. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

Why do you say the Glock is better than the Sigs? And why do you think you should be carrying your G19?

5. .357 Glocker

.357 Glocker

After thousands of rounds and multiple combat handgun classes with the Sigs I could pick up a Glock and shoot it better. Also it became clear that Glocks have superior durability. I bought the Sigs because they looked nice and felt good in my hands. Pretty much they way most gun newbies choose a gun. Over the years it has become clear that those things are almost worthless for choosing a combat/CCW/defense pistol.

The reason I should be carrying the G19 is because it is the easiest gun to shoot quickly and accurately. I'm not bad with the G32 but I don't really think that the extra power really makes a one bit of difference when it comes right down to it. Better to be able to place shots as quickly and accurately as possible and there is nothing better at doing that (in my hands) then a Glock 19.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Sigs, but Glocks just do the job better in my opinion.

6. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

When you say do the job better, do you mean a simpler manual of arms?

7. .357 Glocker

.357 Glocker

I can put more shots on a target accurately and quickly than with any other handgun. Plus durability, simplicity and reliability that are second to none. I tend to think that the G19 will continue to be the standard that all other combat handguns are judged for the next 20-30 years. It seems that every time a new gun comes out that looks like it might be better it always falls short. Either the quality and durability isn't there or its burdened with too many undesirable and counterproductive "safety" features.

8. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

What kind of durability issues did yo have with your Sigs?

9. Glock-it-to-me

Glock-it-to-me Catching liars

I carry a Glock 23, Sig P239, Sig P220, 1911, and a S&W 442. I've less trigger time on the Glock than any of the others.

10. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

I switch my carry weapons ta fit my need at the time.'08.

11. xrmattaz

xrmattaz

I enjoy many firearms for range use.

But years ago, for CCW, I switched to all "point and press trigger" firearms. No manual safety, no DA/SA (I can't shoot 'em good under stress), etc.

My S&W 325/329PD's, G21/21SF, G23, G26 and Ruger LCP are all "point and press", and each get's it's turn in my carry rotation.

12. Patchman

Patchman Florist

Have other guns, but have CCWed my 2 G19s since 1999.

13. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Your CCW quest may lead you in search of lighter guns.

A couple decades ago, I started out with a .44mag, as that was my hunting gun.

Then got a Beretta 92 9mm, 15 rounds.

Then got a Walther PPK .380, 6 rounds.

Then got a Glock 26 9mm, 10 rounds.

Then got a S&W 642 .38, 5 rounds.

There's nothing wrong with any of the above guns, and I still enjoy them, but for carry there was an evolution toward smaller.

14. Free Radical

Free Radical Miembro Antiguo CLM

I have no problems changing carry guns. It's important that you stay in practice with all of them though. Also important is to actually practice with your carry ammunition, not just inexpensive WWB or something similar.
    My carry rotation includes a G36, G32, & a PPS in 9mm.
    I'm not ready to put any of them out to pasture.

15. .357 Glocker

.357 Glocker

The slide rails tend to wear and alloy frames are generally more prone to damage from impacts then plastic.

16. dosei

dosei

No, I have no problem with changing my carry.
    Over the years:
    HK VP70Z
    Ruger GP100
    Witness Full Size 45acp
    Glock 30
    Sig P230
    SA XD45C

17. David Armstrong

David Armstrong

No problem for me. When I was an active trainer I changed carry guns 4 times a year, and even now I will still change what I carry based on anticipated level of need.

18. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

That is my point... I find that the G23 fits all my levels of need, for the most part. I might add a J frame, but that's about it! Is it possible that I am one of the lucky few who found their carry gun the first time around?

19. dahahn

dahahn

I've carried my HK P7 for the last year, and had no problem carrying/drawing my G32. Just for kicks I packed the P7 the other day and tried a draw, and had no problem with it. I expected one, because most of the pieces I've read about the P7 say that if you carry it, carry nothing else (because of the cocking mechanism). Apparently it's not that way for me. The aim is a little off, though (different grip angles).

20. dosei

dosei

Only you can answer that question...in 20-40 years...:supergrin: