GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
9,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes they are hard to find... are people hoarding Mallomars?
Publix has a kinda' Mallomar, not quite as good, but usually on the shelf.

·
Electric Sex
5,398 Posts
These are my current favorite. (A little too much of a favorite too as my waistline will testify to. LOL!!)

·
Registered
11,867 Posts
My wifes fresh form the oven chocolate chip cookies!
Others just cant compare.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
As a kid growing up in Brooklyn, NY I loved Mallomars, but thought they had gone out of business since I never saw them on the shelves for about 50 years after I left the NY area for good. Then last year, lo and behold, there they were on the shelf of my supermarket here in Illinois. I bought several boxes, hoping to make the store realize that they need to keep ordering these, but to no avail. After that one time availability, they again were gone. The store manager said that he has no control over what merchandise he is sent and offered me no hope to ever see them for sale again. But with the diet I recently put myself on, cutting back on carbs, this is probably just as well. But I did enjoy those boxes of those delicious cookies!

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Patty Wafers

·
Diva extraordinaire
15,089 Posts
Sometimes they are hard to find... are people hoarding Mallomars?
Publix has a kinda' Mallomar, not quite as good, but usually on the shelf.
I love Mallomars. That's why they are banned from my house. BF likes them too, but was having trouble finding them at Publix. So one time I just happened to be in Publix when the cookie guy was there, and I asked him if they stopped making Mallomars. He told me they can't ship them to Florida during the summer because the chocolate melts while they're on the truck. But once it cools off during the winter they will be back.

·
NRA Life Member
63,391 Posts
If I had to buy store-bought cookies, I guess I'd go with Oreos (regular, without extra flavors and stuffing) or Keebler Pecan Sandies.

I would not eat mallomars - I don't like marshmallow.

My wife makes a lot of gluten free cookies (no flour) that are good, with things like almond butter and white chocolate and blueberries.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Funny thing is that I generally do not like marshmallow either, but the combination of the cookie with the chocolate over the marshmallow made Mallomars my favorite cookie.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
My grandmother was a German immigrant, and my mom worked in a bakery as a child.

As I age, the only thing I want for christmas, is the cookies and the stolen.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
It is interesting how sweets from the past can become an item of wishful thinking and hopes. Back around 1969, my wife and I came back to NYC from El Paso for a few days to visit family. It turned out to be the last visit I ever had with my mother in law, who died of cancer a few months later at age 41. But she knew I liked cinnamon Danish, and bought some for me at a little bakery near her apartment. It was the most amazing thing I ever ate, rich, moist, with cinnamon and chocolate, in a croissant type shape but not of the typical croissant flaky consistency. It was astoundingly good. It was so good that before we flew back to El Paso, I went to that bakery and bought a half dozen of these Danish pastries to take home. Of course within a few days they were gone. That was over 50 years ago and I have been searching for something like what I remember at every decent specialty bakery, without any success. I literally have dreamed about this item.

Reactions: n2g

·
Registered
18,106 Posts
Homemade chocolate chip and/or butterscotch chip cookies. I don't make them very often so some kind of store bought lemon flavored sandwich cookie.

Many years ago the Dillon's chain had a sandwich cookie that was excellent but I don't recall the name of it. The sandwich part was a dark color but not chocolate, I don't really remember what t the cream filling was either.:fist: It has been ages since I have seen them on the shelf.

·
Free Full Clip!
17,105 Posts
Homemade, and I like my cookies soft and never burned or over cooked, and store bought cookies are never soft and there's nothing like cookies fresh out of the oven and still warm.

My Grandmother used to make the best peanut butter cookies the world had ever known. Oatmeal would be my second favorite and chocolate chip wins third place.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts