Do you have a current item on a "I'm thinking about one..." list?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by DrewBone, Sep 19, 2019.

1. DrewBone

DrewBone

I only ask the question because I seldom if ever these days "go out on a mission" to find model X by manufacturer Z. And even with today's advances in materials and there being more and more firearm manufacturers than ever to choose from, there never seems to be a particular firearm that piques my interest enough to convince myself that "I gotta' have that!" Saving as much $$ as I can is always a given for me, but most of my firearm purchases are used examples anyway, which I seem to be able to find near new examples of with fairly frequent regularity, and for some pretty darn affordable prices too.

Since I own many different examples of the different types and models from many different manufacturers of firearms, I often take a "meh" attitude towards what is often proclaimed to be "the latest and greatest", which indicates to me that for all intents and purposes my "Jones'n for (insert: gun of the day)" days are over, which admittedly took some years to control after losing $$ on the resale of a number of "impulse buys".

So what's your current criteria or strategy for deciding on a new-to-you firearm? Did it begin as a sudden newfound interest in self defense or competition, the need for a more adequate caliber catered to your particular game hunting requirements, the desire for a .22 handgun to use for inexpensive plinking, to introduce shooting sports to a family member or friend, because you saw one posted about on GT or other firearm related website or magazine...or? BTW, "Just because!" is as valid a reply as any ;)

I know my own reasoning behind what I myself purchase, but I'm interested in knowing how others make such decisions, which I know are all individually conceived.

Thanks to all who choose to take the time and effort to participate :D

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    Cambo likes this.
  2. Cambo

Cambo

It has to:
    1. Be something I will actually shoot.
    2. Be something I can afford to shoot.
    3. Be something I can shoot at an indoor range.
    4. Be easy to takedown / clean.
    5. Have easy to find parts / mags.
    6. Be accurate.
    7. Be reliable.
    8. Not have harsh recoil.
    9. Fit my hands with near ergonomic perfection.
    10. Be customizable.
    11. Have a decent trigger pull.
    12. Have a decent trigger shape(straighter).
    13. Be good looking.
    14. Hold no less than 10 rounds(NJ limit).
    15. Have controls that make sense.
    16. Have a good price to performance ratio.

So I've summed up the only guns that make sense for me to buy are 9mm CZs.

BigBluefish and checkyoursix like this.

3. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

No Joneses. Generally stuff that's going to help my development or fill out a platform in some way.

4. toofman

toofman

I just bought my first CZ. After shooting it, I wonder why everyone isn't shooting these.

5. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

No , i have more than i need. I should sell a bunch of stuff off that i am not using. My last purchases have been military old ww2 era rifles.

Out West and FullClip like this.
  6. bandsaw

bandsaw

For me it's a whole bunch of spare parts for the firearms I have now. No need for more but, spare parts are a must.
    Only other items might be enhancements like Optics and Priority #1 a multi caliber Suppressor that will handle 9mm & 5.56. Then of course the barrel lugs to attach it to each.

syntaxerrorsix likes this.
  7. Gray Dood

Gray Dood

I've got eclectic tastes and have bought and sold tons over the years. Milsurp rifles , 1911s of various lengths (always Colts but I did experiment with a SIG once, never again), S&W p&r models, Lugers, Marlins, Ruger single actions, a plethora of Glocks, and others I've forgotten about. Usually don't go back but I do miss "my" Lugers sometimes.

Have two that are coming in the next week. A new to me stainless Commander and one I'm more excited about, a pristine H&R model 199 pre war Sportsman Single Action.

Expect a range report on that Sportsman. :)

treg likes this.
  8. Cambo

Cambo

I know, right? I currently own 5.

9. dbuck47

dbuck47

I am thinking about a Ruger Superblackhawk Bisley in .480 Ruger or .454 Casull. Been on my thinking about for a while. I don't need it. Just something I think would be fun to shoot and reload for.

I also have eclectic interests sometimes, and criteria for those are very different for what I might set for a more general purpose use.

For general purpose use:
    1. Widely used and proven
    2. Availability of parts and accessories.
    3. Something that is useable out of the box, even though I might change sights or grips.
    4. Common widely available calibers

syntaxerrorsix and Glock40man like this.
  10. Filhar

Filhar

S&W model 642 Performance Center.

11. 45caldan

45caldan

Not sure what I might want next.

12. FastEddieFL

FastEddieFL

Yes!! Sig P365 MS. Thinking hard about getting one.

rayzer007 likes this.
  13. squirrelsniper

squirrelsniper

Currently wanting a Ruger Precision Rifle in 338 Lapua. Actually wanted one ever since they were released, so it's not just a passing interest.

Joshhtn likes this.
  14. Kentucky Shooter

Kentucky Shooter NRA Life Member

At this point, I am only interested in:

1. Really good deals, something with a major savings on something I will actually use, that will fill a void.
    2. Something they aren’t making any more of- something that I’ve always wanted or I already have one and I really like it and want a spare.
    3. Something rare, seldom seen, at a decent price, not an off the charts price.

15. plp

plp

Glock 41 MOS, a suppressor, and a red dot. Don't know why, but that wild hair has sprouted long and hard, for a while.

I just think it would be the perfect home defense weapon, better than a rifle or carbine. The one presently doing that job is a Kel Tec Sub2K with a red dot and flashlight, is excellent for small, short, and maneuverable.

R_P_K_ and Bomber Nav like this.
  16. jim goose

jim goose "The Goose"

I’ve finally found my perfect Glock set up. I carry a kahr, have a couple perfect gen 2’s, a 35 for the house, and a 26/19x for winter carry.

I’m going to shed a 31, and maybe an extra gen 2 19 for s nice CZ or 1911. But I will eventually have both.

17. slamdunc

slamdunc JAFO

I only have a couple left on my list, a Beretta 92 Inox and a Walther PPK/S (Interarms version) in stainless. I tried finding an HK P8 without the import stamp and only had two opportunities. One on Gunbroker for over $5,400 and another one that I am relatively sure came into the country illegally.

I'm completely out of the 10mm, .38 Special now so the .380 is lowest on my list of priorities but I'd still like to have one.

These guns all fall under the 1. would I actually shoot it 2. I am willing to make a small sacrifice so I can afford it, and 3. will it hold its value?

18. Delndskyjmpr

Delndskyjmpr

Sig P220 Legion in 45 and another Buck Mark.

19. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

It has to be something that I want to have.

20. Just Glocks

Just Glocks

Really wanting a Glock G18 just to burn thru an exces amount of 9 mm on hand !