Do you find tire speed ratings ironic?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Khufu, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

I ordered some new tires today.

I went to the tire store and told them what I wanted.

They were a little concerned that I wasn't getting the proper tire because the speed rating was incorrect for my vehicle.

Now, I will preface this with these are tires for my car in the USA. I will most likely not be driving it on an autobahn.

Once you have an H rated tire..does it really matter all that much? They wouldn't have said anything for a Z rated tire (over 149), but they were concerned that I was buying a Y rated tire.

Then this has me wondering, what is after a W rated tire? I may have to use some google fu.

But I still find it ironic that tires have a speed rating so much over the speed limit.

2. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

Google fu paid off

Y = up to 186 (300kmh)
    (Y) = over 186 (300kmh)

3. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

It's all about liability I suppose.

4. bigchuck83

bigchuck83

from what i recall from the Bridgestone and goodyear tire technician training is that a different speed rating of tire than what the vehicle manufacturer reccomends might affect handling characteristics. Going to a higher speed rating shouldn't be much of an issue.

5. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

Speed rating has to do with how fast yout car can go not with speed limits.

6. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

But that is the irony...

You are not allowed to drive that fast, so why do you need a tire just because you are capable of driving that fast?

7. Fear Night

Fear Night NRA Life Member

Ummmm, because people break the speed limit laws all the time? This is probably the most commonly broken law in existence.

If your car is capable of doing 150mph, then they would be smart not to sell you tires that rip apart at 130mph. I'll often see people doing 120+mph on our 70mph limit interstates.

I wouldn't doubt it if one day all cars will be required to have a 70mph governor installed in this nanny state, but that is a whole different discussion ...

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  8. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

Because people don't always follow speed laws. no more ironic than selling cars in the usa without 90 mph speed limiters.

9. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

I rareky see a car going over 100mph on US highways.

About 85-90 is all I see "often" in the 75 zones.

State patrol doesnt tolerate over 100mph.

Of course I did have a friend who was caught at over 130mph in a construction zone...

10. Fear Night

Fear Night NRA Life Member

A lot of it will depend on the traffic, of course. During rush hour you will be lucky to go faster than the speed limit even if you wanted to. I-459 below Birmingham is frequently labeled "the raceway" ... 6 lanes that is near dead during off hours, in both traffic and police presence.

Just a few days ago I got passed by a Mustang Cobra Terminator on I-459 at about 8pm. I was running 80mph but he passed me like I was standing dead still. No telling how fast he was going, but I think they top out at 175ish? Sounds about right :wow:

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  11. jtull7

jtull7 Pistolero CLM

When I owned my Jaguar XKE, I bought the 149 mph tires. Expensive. I then went out and drove it 149 mph, on I-10 between Houston and San Antonio. With the top down. What a gas! 1973.

[​IMG]

I have not driven over 120 mph or so ever since. I used to fly an airplane that could not exceed 98 mph in a dive.

12. RenoF250

RenoF250

You are not allowed to shoot people with a gun yet they think guns are dangerous and want to ban them. Laws do not prevent an action.

I had an Accord that came with T rated (118 mph) tires which was governed at 116mph. Not much margin there.

13. Redheadhunter21

Redheadhunter21

Gone over the speed rating of a tire nothing bad happened, but you can tell the difference in how the tire rides. A mechanic will sell whatever nets him the most money regardless of what tire is best for you, unless you are friends prior to him being your mechanic

14. Short Cut

Short Cut PatrioticMember CLM

It's definitely something to consider before buying a car that has Z rated tires. They're expensive, they don't have as much tread because heavy tread is too much weight for the speed rating, often rears are wider so no rotating. Burning them up every 15-20k does seem like a waste if you're just commuting, but what's the sense of buying a high performance Porsche or something and handicapping it with discount tires.

15. RenoF250

RenoF250

Very bad idea. A doctor with a Testorossa did that in the race across Nevada, flipped and killed himself and his wife.

16. janice6

janice6

Because some people cannot stop themselves from finding out if they are as good at driving as they think they are.

(I know you knew that)

17. VC-Racing

VC-Racing General Flunky

My wife's Trans Am came from the factory with 245/50/16 Z-rated tires. The Formula 350 is the same car minus some handling improvements . They came with 225/50VR16 rubber. So, I run 245/50/16 V-rated tires. They have a better wear ratings and similar traction and temp specs.

I buy all my tires via Tire Rack or a local store( i've been doing business with for 15yrs) who will meet or beat TR pricing or will also accept the TR shipment for me and install for me. They are also one of the few tire shops in my area who has the Hunter GPS 9700 road force balancer ( which I highly recommend) . +

I have always heard ( unconfirmed) that some of the high end import cars will void any warranty if the tire speed rating is not equal or higher than what was engineered for the vehicle.

Vic

18. Hailstorm

Hailstorm Boom Shacka

And speed rating is null and void if a hole repair has been done.

19. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

Stiffness of the sidewall...it's as much a handling thing as a speed thing.
    Dana...I've lost a little respect for you. Of all people who should know that.:whip:

Oh...a while back I had a little adventure with speed ratings and WalMart...here's the thread:
    https://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1439138

20. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

This^ Speed rating changes a lot of the handling characteristics. Especially, in heavier cars. Higher speed rating usually have stiffer sidewalls. Thus, you get better handling with lesstire roll, keeping you on the tread.

We allow up to two patches on our patrol cars. We do use plug-patches, though. They are supposed to be much better. I have read the plug patch, in the middle two-thirds of the tread, will maintian your speed rating. I believe it was in Police Fleet Manager magazine.

Speed ratings stopped at Z, for a long time, until automobiles gained a higher top speed. It was determined better tires and tire ratings were necessary when going at speeds over 149 MPH. W, Y, and (Y) were created and are now standard ratings for many high performance cars.

I typically run a higher speed rating than my vehicles can go. Handling is improved, but it can also mess with your fuel mileage. Also, one you get to the higher ratings, you get less tread. In an H rating, you often get 11/32. In a Y rating, you usually get around 6/32. Part of this reason is traction. You get better traction with less tread wiggling around between your tire and the road.