Do you ever feed your dogs meat?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Annoyedgrunt, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Annoyedgrunt

Annoyedgrunt Dry Heat my ASS

Or are you strictly "dog food, and no people food" for them? (Of course, some foods may blur the lines a bit when it comes to "people" foods.)

Our two JRT's are fed mostly dog food, but when we have steak I'll usually cut them off a couple pieces, or if I'm making a roast-beef sandwich they'll get a few strips of beef. And on Thanksgiving they get a couple pieces of turkey. They really like it, and I just think it's good for dogs to get some real meat every now and then. That's it as far as "people" food goes for them- they never get any sweets or candy or any of that crap. Sometimes a Beggin' Strip :supergrin:

2. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

She gets drippings and if there is something left over she'll probably get that too but that's about it. Milk bone before bed, you betcha.

3. mrbray101

mrbray101

Mine doesn't get people food except for steak. If we are having steak I will give him some of the trimmings or more fatty pieces the old lady doesn't eat. I normally just mix it into his food for a little treat but never feed him from the dinner table or off my plate. The amount I give him is so small its probably insignificant but he sure loves a little steak flavor with his dry dog food.

4. Greatscott

Greatscott

Anything other than dog food gives my Wiener dog the fishy squirts. I know it sounds weird but I think it causes her anal gland to get out of whack, thus causing the fish squirts. Pretty disgusting.

5. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 .45 fanatic

Don't do it.Once they acquire a taste for meat,they will eat you alive while you sleep.:shocked:

6. kiole

kiole

my bassett hound gets the same way with certain foods. It goes away after a day or so.

7. RichJ

RichJ

All the time. I have a non-debarked Chihuahua that will go bonkers when he smells good meat. He won't do it for meatloaf or baked chicken or anything like that, but if you cook something like a brisket he will absolutely flip-out until he gets a piece.

I usually give him the trimmings or a little left over meat from dinner but never anything other than meat. I think his favorite is pork fat. My wife cooks pork ribs all the time and I always give him a huge pile of greesy fat just to see how much he can force down. He loves it. It agrees with his stomach so no squirts and it makes his coat soft and shinny.

Dogs are carnivores. Give them some meat.

8. Al Czervik

Al Czervik

We try not to waste anything that they like and is ok for dogs to eat. So, yes.

9. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

I used to feed my dog dry food and sometimes I'd give him a bone to gnaw on. Sometimes if I were particularly in a good mood, I'd share my fried gizzards and chicken livers with him.

10. chevy01234

chevy01234

My dogs are just that, dogs! Hell yea they get meat!

11. Glock-it-to-me

Glock-it-to-me Catching liars

Very seldom. Frozen peas, carrots, and green beans go into the dry food.

12. OJ

OJ Deceased Millennium Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We love it when our people go out for their weekly date for dinner - they always bring home meat they couldn't finish - for us to get as "treats". We even let them share our furniturre -

We live on dry dog food, though - :upeyes:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  13. Swerved

Swerved Not panicking

Why do I get the strange feeling that this thread will end in a "pro-pitbull" vs. "anti-pitbull" argument in 3.....2......1.....

14. harlenm

harlenm Millennium Member

She gets all the leftovers, no matter what it is, as long as there are no bones.

15. rhino673

rhino673

We call our dog a four legged garbage disposal. She takes care of most of our leftovers. Meat, veggies, taters ect.

16. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

Hopefully no onions either.

17. Ridgeway

Ridgeway

+1

Always have something extra for the dog, whether it be from eating out or cooking/snacking @ home. The dog gets some- & anything I don't want she cleans up for me. :)

Who needs a dishwasher or garbage disposal? That's what a dog's for. :whistling:

18. DaveCharlie09

DaveCharlie09

Yes. while my Dogs staple is Innova dry food, I always cook enough meat for the both of us.

19. Steve0853

Steve0853

I was raised in a home and community where you would have been committed to a mental institution for spending good cash money on prepared dog food.

So, I find the current "dog food only" and especially "dry dog food only" attitudes quaint.

My sister does some veterinary assisting and of course, she is fully on the dry dog food bandwagon.

I wouldn't give them sweets or cooked bones, but dogs like something good once in a while just like humans.

I had to tell my sister that my goal for my dogs wasn't to keep them breathing for as long as possible, but for them to have a good life with me.

How would you like a life where you only ate turnip greens and dry wheat bread every single day??

20. billkill

billkill

She rarely gets any meat (except for those chicken jerky treats), but if we steam some green veggies (broccoli, spinach, green beans, etc) she will get a small portion.