Do you eat organic?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by coopaloopa, Jan 2, 2010.

1. coopaloopa

coopaloopa

I recently made a trip out to California to visit some family. My family over there eats organic when they can and it made for some interesting conversation. I personally do not eat organic for many reasons. At the same time, I am an animal lover. I love animals and have a respect for them that most people do not. When my cousin asked me if I felt bad for the chickens that live a crappy life before they come to my plate I said no, not at all. What is the big stink about eating organic? Why do people feel sorry for an animal that would not exist if it wasn't for demand? And for the record, I obviously do not eat organic but I do not look at it as a lesser choice. I am not claiming one is better then the other, they are just different. To each his own. Discuss.

2. eXistenZ

eXistenZ Play it.

So I'm curious. What are those many reasons?

3. coopaloopa

coopaloopa

There is a reason I did not put them in the original post, but ill give you a couple. I just do not want the thread to turn into people picking my personal choices apart. Main reason would be money, and being a young professional I am more worried about putting food on the table then how it got there.

4. Dalton Wayne

Dalton Wayne Epic mustache Millennium Member

I eat gizzards hearts and livers them thar is organs

5. eXistenZ

eXistenZ Play it.

Well just for future reference then, if you don't want something questioned or discussed then it might be wise to leave it out of your posts. :wavey:

6. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

I do when I can but I am not a nazi about it. My reasons are simple and have nothing to do with how an animal feels. But how it and the vegetables and fruits I consume taste. I find that organic for the most part has a higher nutrient value and seems to have more flavor, texture and overall just tastes better.

But due to cost and budgets... it's when I can afford too type of thing.

7. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

We do when we can,... little to no pesticides, fertilizers and chemicals.

Eating ORGANIC should be thought of as eating NATURAL.
    It also has nothing to do with animals, love 'em or hate 'em.
    Organic chickens are raised with natural feed, not processed meal.

8. Trigun

Trigun

I don't eat "organic" labeled food because I'm not sure they are really any better quality just because they qualify for the label. I don't believe they are any healthier. Despite the claim that they don't have a "substantially" greater risk of pathogen contamination, I do believe there is a greater risk in true "organic" food. I hate the idea that a damn dirty hippie may have touched my food. And finally, I hate being trendy.

9. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

My olive oil is organic, or so it says on the label, but it is kosher too. Go figure, best of both worlds.

10. bchandler

bchandler

Generally from my understanding "Organic" refers to crops or livestock that are grown/raised without an excess of chemicals, pesticides, growth hormones, etc. This makes it more costly to be a producer, and also generally the product will be somewhat smaller than other non-organic products. What you are paying for is the lack of chemicals that many attribute to cancer, the earlier puberty seen in youth today, and other diseases.

I think when animals are raised in more humane conditions it is generally called "free range" or something similar. I don't know if free range animals have to be raised organic, but I don't think they do.

11. Trigun

Trigun

Btw, that's my attitude toward fruits and vegetables. Properly raised chicken, beef, etc. would be ok. I still wouldn't just blindly trust the "organic" label.

12. speedsix

speedsix

Organic milk tastes like milk used to taste. It is delicious. I can tell the difference and I will pay the slightly higher price because it tastes better and isn't loaded with hormones antibiotics.

The main reason is it tastes better. I don't buy all organic but when you can tell the difference, I will. It is well worth the extra $1.00 a gallon for organic milk.

13. 8-Ball

8-Ball Old Soul

I don't care. Whatever tastes good.

14. johnny00

johnny00

I eat whatever is on sale.:supergrin:

Seriously tho, I don't do too well with dairy and switching to Soy products when I can has drastically helped me. Personally, I feel that some of the organic stuff tastes well and don't mind buying the stuff when the price is comparable to the "regular" stuff.

15. kcb

kcb Southern Lady

I would prefer to always eat organic food; but my budget doesn't always allow us to do so.

I'd rather eat food that is free of many of the hormones and pesticides, etc any day.

16. Pecos Bill 1911

Pecos Bill 1911 Yippi-kai-yah!

I wish I could afford to eat organic, so I eat GMO food like the majority of the peasants!

Best Wishes! Pecos Bill out.

17. Glock Swabbie

Glock Swabbie Gun Tradin' Foo

+1000 man.... couldn't have said it better myself!:supergrin:

18. Chad Landry

Chad Landry Cajunator® CLM

I prefer synthetic food. The more man-made chemicals involved, the better it must be for you.

Powdered Toast Man saves the day!

19. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

"Organic" usually has nothing to do with what the food is, just how it is raised and processed. There are many organic meats, fowl and poultry. HH (harvester & eater of elk, the ultimate organic meat)

20. MooseJaw

MooseJaw NRA Lifer CLM

I always thought organic labels were an excuse to charge more..

Or was it to cover the cost of rotted product that never made it to market?? :dunno: