close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Do you chamber and unchamber your glock

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by conpro, Jan 17, 2010.

1. conpro

conpro

The reason i am asking this is because of bullet setback from chambering and unchambering a round. I heard its not good for the bullet to keep rechambering it, such as unchambering while home with the kids and chambering when going out in the car or werever. Thats one reason i dont chamber a round while carrying because of setback on the bullet,

2. FL2NV

FL2NV

I don't think it matters. I unchamber and rechamber the same cartridge everyday for weeks, sometimes months, and it fires just fine when I finally fire it at the range.

What exactly would "setback" the bullet?

Fla Trooper 265 likes this.

3. conpro

conpro

I here that by doing that it is dangerous and the bullet could explode in the gun becuase the bullet is pushed back in the case to far to release.

4. FL2NV

FL2NV

How is it pushed back too far?

5. conpro

conpro

Everytime its chambered it pushes the bullet back in the casing a little at a time and to many times tightens the bullet in the casing causing it to be to tight to be released from the casing therefore it will ignight in the gun. THATS WHAT I HAVE BEEN HEARING. I CANT AFFORD TO CHAMBER A NEW ROUND EVERYTIME I CARRY.

6. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Controlling setback is very important with Glocks.
    I never used to worry about it, with any caliber, however, I actually
    Had an issue with 40,.......I do not have any 40 S&W weapons any longer.

Between my G19 and G30, I normally carry the G30. At night it is on the nightstand
    or in the bedroom safe. My daughter is grown, no little one so,..... less of a concern for me.

Any more these days, I do not unchamber a round except when I field strip and
    clean every week

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  7. durango#95

durango#95

As I understand it, this is a more common problem with .40s&w rounds then 9mm or .45acp. I could be wrong (it did happen once :whistling: )
    I keep cycling out the chambered round with my 23, but I will chamber the same round in my 19 many times over before I start to worry about it. Just my $.02

8. conpro

conpro

so how long is that round good for, when should you throw it away.

9. .357 Glocker

.357 Glocker

I had this problem with Remington UMC .357 Sig years ago. It wasn't properly crimped and would push the bullet up against the powered which would occasionally cause the necked portion of the case to tear off when fired and leave it stuck in the chamber. That made for an impossible to clear FTF. Never had that issue with any other ammo in any caliber. I even inspected the overall length of the carry rounds regularly for years after that and never found a problem.

10. BigFelipe

BigFelipe BeenQuietTilNow

I don't worry about it too much. It takes a good deal or rechambering to set a bullet deep enough to cause issue. I rotate the chambered rounds in my carry pistols and fire and reload every 6mos or so.

11. conpro

conpro

How many times can the same round be chambered before its no good.

12. Gabby

Gabby

Rotate your chambered round to the bottom of your mag every week or so.

13. .357 Glocker

.357 Glocker

It should be fine as long as the overall length is still in spec.

14. Cineski

Cineski

Doesn't this happen the first time you chamber a round anyway? I wouldn't think chambering over and over would really do any harm, simply because the setback happens anyway the first time you chamber the round. So if it's already set back, what difference does it make?

15. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

Thats what I do and they all fire off.

16. RBL525

RBL525

its like pounding in a nail. every time you chamber it, it pushes it back a little more. I haven't ever had a problem with 9mm. That is the only caliber I own at this point.

17. Markasaurus

Markasaurus

+1 - that gives you several months from one magazine worth. Personally i'd wind up firing off the mag in practice a few times a year.
    I don't carry a firearm so my chamber stays empty almost all the time. I'm a big believer in Murphy's law and heard and read to many stories about Glock owners accidentally shooting and/or killing themselves.
    If i had to carry with a round chambered for some reason, i'd be using a trigger saf-t block - i bought one from Brownell's for $14.95 and it worked great, until i lost the @#@# thing.

18. Airborne Infantryman

Airborne Infantryman Nuclear Trunk Monkey

That's because they are neglecting the rules of gun safety.......don't point the weapon at anything you don't intend to kill, and don't put your finger on the trigger.......its a simple concept that a lot of people cannot seem to grasp....:steamed:

19. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

You got to stop playing with your guns and keep them under lock and key.

My glock is loaded when its in my safe, and when its in my holster when I'm carrying. Why exactly do you need to keep on chambering and unchambering the round? My chambered round can sit there for weeks, and the only reason why it would move is when it being fire at the range, or at an intruder. I clean my guns after ever range visit, so when I'm done the gun is empty. I take the gun home, and clean it, load it up and its back in the safe. That round sits in the chamber until the next range visit.

Stop playing with your guns and you will not have to worry about setback.

20. viewoptic

viewoptic

Couldnt agree more!