Do you carry while doing yard work?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Roger Dickinson, Nov 25, 2017.

1. Roger Dickinson

Roger Dickinson

B528FAF6-65D8-482A-9518-FBD12D141B58.jpeg Many years ago, I was attacked by a neighbor’s dog while mowing my back yard. Beat him off with my belt, but... Ever since then I have faithfully carried while doing any outside work on my property. This proved fortuitous last month when I was suddenly confronted by a rabid raccoon who stared at me with evil intent whilst emitting a most peculiar and vicious snarl. I took him out with three quick rounds to the head. Just wondering who else carries around their house?

mc1911, Filhar1, glock1097 and 7 others like this.
  2. nitesit(+ an e)

nitesit(+ an e) Farmer, House Sitter and Cook

I'll be the first to reply.

Yes, I sometimes do.

SAA in .45 Colt

Just because I can and my neighbors don't give a snap..:)

3. zukyota

zukyota

I do. North American Arms Black Widow. First 2 rounds are magnum shot shell. The next 3 are magnum hollow point. It's better than nothing and you never know when you may need it.

Tickhill, fatduk1963 and Just Glocks like this.
  4. F350

F350

Well; I carry while watching the landscapers do the yard-work. Does that count?

Taco Junkie, -JCN-, pgg00 and 16 others like this.
  5. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

Rand Paul got attacked while doing yard work, wearing noise cancelling headphones.​

6. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

I carry when doing work on the property. I have found it is an excellent way to give a holster I am trying to decide if I should put into service works.

Kind of an acid test.

7. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

Most of the time, yes.

Just Glocks likes this.
  8. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

I carry a Smith 625 with homebuilt shot cartridges made out of .308 brass. These are my biggest varmint problem.

002.JPG

9. plp

plp

I carry pretty much all the time, my road rage looking Bodyguard (old girl has a lot of holster wear, and will rust if I don't clean it every month) so yes.

What would be more appropriate, would be either a Judge or Governor, as something that fires a shot shell would probably do a better job dispatching moccasins or moles, the two main violators on my property.

However, I have cats, and they get the job done for the most part, just fine. I found the remains of a BIG, FAT moccasin in my back yard, about 3 feet long. The back of it's head had been chewed almost completely through, would've liked to have witnessed that battle Royal.

I own some sedate, fat, really big house cats, but they can throw down when necessary.

Satan Kitten has already dispatched several moles and mice, and she is only 5 months old. When I let her out in the afternoon, goes into full scale stalker mode. She is a dumpster rescue, and the feral strain is strong in her.

I was able to fend off the last raccoon, who was living (and pooping, with abandon) in my shed, with a broom. It fled the scene immediately, knew the jig was up, and exited post haste.

10. ede

ede

If I go out the door for any reason I'm armed. When working out side a jframe with 158 SWCs and another jframe with shot. Wife is a bit different she carries a Glock with Gold Dots and a jframe with shot when she's outside. She's had three rattlesnakes here and I've never seen the first one.

11. Deputydave

Deputydave Millennium Member

Sometimes yes. I'm actually looking for something I would like and feel comfortable for pocket carry if/when I don't feel like putting on my IWB or OWB holster and my off-duty Glock 26.

In regards to the OP, a rabid raccoon isn't something to take lightly (or any rabid animal for that matter). If it's of interest, we have an entire thread on just this subject with accounts from various members and their experiences and accounts.

http://sepboard.us/showthread.php?tid=16

Taco Junkie and Just Glocks like this.
  12. Bcw7101

Bcw7101

I’m always amazed at the people jogging or walking down the road with ear phones in. They are just easy targets. I carry while doing yard work.

13. NMG26

NMG26

Yes, I carry when I walk the dog and when I get back. Sometimes I wonder if I think about it enough.

orangejeep06 likes this.
  14. Deputydave

Deputydave Millennium Member

+1 for this suggestion. My brother has a Judge and it's his favorite carry around his property. He formerly lived on 26 acres and used that Judge to dispatch quite a few nuisance animals on the property. I've thought about one for when our group goes camping/hiking/fishing.

PhotoFeller, Just Glocks and plp like this.
  15. lazarus66

lazarus66

16. plp

plp

Can you imagine, the absolute **** storm he would've had to deal with, had he actually defended himself?

I put myself in his shoes, decided I would've considered it justified self defense on my property, under Alabama law, and have thought about a lot what would've gone down, had he actually shot and killed the scum who attacked him.

Not to make this political, but McConnell would've booted him out of the Senate in a heartbeat, and we would've lost a staunch supporter.

pgg00, orangejeep06 and Just Glocks like this.
  17. Glock Commander

Glock Commander

Colt Single Action Army in .45 Colt of course.
    [​IMG]

pgg00, agtman, deputy tom and 5 others like this.
  18. WayneJessie

WayneJessie

Always. Rabid critters are common here in the hottest summer months. It also keeps the JWs from stopping if they see me carrying.

Bilrus61 and Just Glocks like this.
  19. plp

plp

I would rather have a Governor, as I am more a fan of S&W than Taurus, but give them their due, they did come out with a pretty stout revolver designed for a specific purpose.

I would love to see someone design one that would be 8 shot, .45 ACP, and have some type of snubbed down shot shell with 4 pellets buckshot in a reduced shotshell and moon clips.

pgg00, fatduk1963 and Just Glocks like this.
  20. KWalrad

KWalrad No Wire Hangers!

If I step outside my home, I am armed. This is a decision made not from paranoia, but from common sense and self preservation.
    Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

I've seen coyotes in the neighborhood numerous times over the last few years, and last week we ran across a decent sized bobcat while hiking through one of the local nature preserves.
    IMG_20171111_142247074.jpg
    Not the greatest photo, but I wasn't about to climb down and introduce myself... armed or not.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
    mc1911, dudel, orangejeep06 and 4 others like this.