Do you carry cash?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by syntaxerrorsix, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Yes, for emergencies

109 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. Yes, used for most transactions.

102 vote(s)
    40.2%
  3. No, I use a card or other electronic means.

43 vote(s)
    16.9%
  1. Lt. Donn

Lt. Donn PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia

I pay for almost everything with my CC because I am cheap ( frugal) and like the cash-back $...I avg a grand back each year...nice Christmas bonus
    I also keep a couple hundred on me when I'm in public...and about 10% of my monthly income in cash at home
    Wife is almost the exact opposite...could not care less about the cash-back and pays 95% of her stuff in cash...go figure...different ways of arriving at the same place I guess, but I have that extra grand to spend each Christmas...ha!

2. MB-G26

MB-G26 Extraneous Lifetime Member

Um... will all of the men in this thread please raise your hand if your cycles have synced ?
    :kidding::ender: :laughabove:
    [​IMG]

3. AdamRodgers

AdamRodgers 23 Year member of the 9mm Cult!

4. Foxterriermom

Foxterriermom No place like home

They were a gift from a deceased acquaintance.

5. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

A couple of years ago I was ready to leave town on a one-week trip to Nashville and Memphis. My flight was on Sunday and Saturday my bank ATM ate my one and only credit card and the bank was closed. Luckily I had about $900 dollars in cash in my safe.

Caver 60 likes this.
  6. norton

norton

I use both the debit card an cash.
    I get $200 cash out of the ATM every week. It provides enough for meals, Sunday dinners with the wife and family. Gas for the truck/car.
    Drives me nuts when standing in line at the convenience store when Susan Sweatpants buys a slurpy and a slim jim, has to get out the card, swipe it, it doesn't work, swipe it again, still doesn't work then try another one.
    Remember those commercials where the young people are dancing the waltz in the store while transactions go smooth as glass at the register until somebody with cash shows up? Yeah, well its the card users who gum up the works.

FullClip and Caver 60 like this.
  7. GVIFlyer

GVIFlyer Senior Member

I do every transaction I can on credit cards in order to get either 2% cash back, hotel points, airline miles or fuel discounts. I carry enough cash to cover small town auto repairs, pop-up buying opportunities and bail. ;)

8. B C

B C

I always keep a c note on me just for emergencies. Never know when you may need it.

9. Walk Soft

Walk Soft

For the last year or so I’ve had $989 in cash. No reason. It just makes me comfortable.

Boundertom likes this.
  10. sonoma

sonoma

I carry 150 -200 dollars cash at all times.The other day I was at subway and the guy in front of me ordered his lunch.His card wouldn't go through and he didn't have any cash.Missing lunch taught him a good lesson as to why he should have some cash.

FullClip, Caver 60 and treg like this.
  11. TScottW99

TScottW99 Bird Catcher

I use cash.

Will-21 and Caver 60 like this.
  12. boohoo

boohoo

Our government and big banks are trying to do away with cash and force everyone to use plastic. That way they can track everything you do and spend your money on.
    Big Brother!

Will-21, nursetim, hannstv and 4 others like this.
  13. gwes351

gwes351

Always have $200+ in cash on me, plus 2 credit cards. About once a year 1 of my cards gets compromised and I shut it down (then it gets replaced) - it's why I carry 2nd card and cash. There's also the odd time where power is out = cash. There's a little bit of extra cash in the safe as well.

Caver 60 likes this.
  14. boohoo

boohoo

Yes, I prefer cash, gold, or silver.

Glasgow and Will-21 like this.
  15. Boundertom

Boundertom

I normally carry: 2-$100s, 2-$50s, 5-$20s, 1-$10, 2-$5s, 5-$1s. Plus another couple hundred hidden. And the 50s and 100s are stashed in a back zippered compartment of my wallet, as I rarely need them. It makes me feel comfortable. If I am out in the boondocks and my ATV breaks down, and I have to pay somebody $100 for a tow/haul, I am good. If the phone lines/internet goes down and I need gas, I am good. If I stop at a garage sale and find a deal, I am good. There are a few restaurants around me that don't take CC. I have had my CC hacked and/or "turned off" with no notice. Sometimes a card reader just won't work. You never know when an emergency will come up that a CC won't solve. Lots of reasons to have cash. I can't imagine NOT carrying cash. But, with that said, I use CC for most purchases over $10. I like the rewards- I get 5% on gas. I average around $1000/year in rewards.

16. astepup

astepup

If I don't have at least $200 on me I feel nekid. I do have two CC's and the balance is always paid off with the exception of twice a year. If you constantly pay off the balance I was told it can actually hurt your credit score. I have a nice little cash stash tucked away in the house for both emergencies and piece of mind.

B C and Caver 60 like this.
  17. treg

treg

Debit card for gas, cause it's easy.

Monthly bills are paid on-line via a checking account.

Cash for everything else, food, clothes and yes, vehicles.

When traveling for work I use my company VISA for everything. I don't like the soi-boy feeling / vibe.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  18. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

I often use cash just to confuse the spies who track electronic transactions.

Will-21 likes this.
  19. ROGER4314

ROGER4314 Friends Call Me "Flash"

I always keep $50 in my wallet and replenish that every week. Anything left over, goes to my "mad money" slush fund. Groceries, fuel and other expenses go by debit card. Utility bills are paid by check & snail mail.

Flash

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  20. Bud0505

Bud0505

I’m a cash and carry guy mostly. Amazon purchases are the exception. It would be interesting to know the age of those who have posted as credit card users versus the age of those who use cash. FWIW I’m 68.