close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Do you buy refurbished items?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by tbone1970, Jan 16, 2010.

1. tbone1970

tbone1970 walmart goat

I've never really considered buying refurbished, but lately there seem to be some really good deals to be had.

Just interested in the consensus here at GNG.

Do you buy refurbished? Did it turn out to be worth it? Will you ever do it again?

Discuss... :wavey:

2. silentpoet

silentpoet

I have no problem on some items.

3. itisbruno

itisbruno Devious Member CLM

Yes, and I have had no issues with them. My last purchase was a refurb replacement for the refurb sansa mp2 player dieter bit into.

Work great until the dog crunched it in his mouth.

4. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

No on electronics, yes on firearms.

5. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

Ever play the game: "I'd never..."

Well, if I were to play, I'd probably chime in with, "I'd never buy nearly anything that's been "refurbished"".

Guns? Sure. Cars? Depends. Boats? Awe, hell, why not.

Appliances/electronics? NEVER!

6. GlockontheRocks

GlockontheRocks

I have electronics that are refurbs. Have had zero issues with them. They are sent in and have the guts replaced with new ones. The only non-refurb item about most of them is the outside.

7. jtmac

jtmac Señor Member

I just bought a pair of "open box/refurbished" speakers for my computer. I normally wouldn't, but they either work or they don't.

Past that, it's all a matter of money saved and repairability, but I'll still tend toward new. That's only because I'm weird, though. I spent a day this week modifying my print driver so I could get the size and edges JUST RIGHT on a print. I'm a bit nutty about things. If I weren't broken this way, I'd call myself crazy for not looking at refurbs first if money was ever a concern.

8. bobby_w

bobby_w Alienigena Platinum Member

I have 3 HP Desktop PC's that I bought over the last 2 years and have had no problems with them. All were about $425.00 each.

I have a refurbished HP ColorLaserJet 2600n printer that after instant rebates from Office Depot came to $200.00.

All were refurbished and recertified by HP.

9. Glocks&Ducs

Glocks&Ducs

I don't usually have a problem with it, but I will sometimes not bite depending on the price difference. The provided warranty also has much to do with my decision.

Just remember, most refurbs were display models or those where the original purchaser suffered from buyer's remorse, or because of idiot, I mean user, error. Not because there was really anything wrong with the item to begin with.

10. DanGarand

DanGarand

I bought my ATT Tilt as a refurb for at least $100 less than regular price and have had no issues with it whatsoever for the last 2 years of hard use.

11. BEER

BEER bad example

i try to save money as often as possible so i'll buy refurbed. returned, scratch and dent, and used items. the only 2 items i would never buy in any condition other than brand new are mattresses and underwear.

12. freeride88

freeride88

I buy refurb all the time and I can't think of a single issue I've had. My iPhone is a refurb. Maybe I'm just lucky.

13. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

"Refurb'd" items turned me off after Circuit City sold me a printer and it crapped out on my after about 2 weeks and they wouldn't take it back.

Ahh...F/U CC. Wonder why you tanked?

14. jame

jame I don't even know....what I'm doing here....

I'm posting from a refurb Macintosh IMac. $700 delivered a couple of years ago, and zero issues.

15. WolfNotSheep

WolfNotSheep Tackleberry

As long as it comes with an adequate warranty from a reputable manufacturer then I have no problem buying refurbished, especially since it means I'll be getting a few bucks off.

16. IH8Q8

IH8Q8 Outcast Member

Yup, this here's typed on my 7 year old Dell Inspiron 9100, refurbed by Dell. My mom's Dell Inspiron 5150 refurb was just replaced last year after 5 years of service and handed over to my son (who promptly killed it, R.I.P.). My wife's old Dell 1501 was a refurb; sold it to a buddy's wife, and it's still going strong. My wife has been using her refurb Acer Aspire One for about 6 months with zero issues... which is a damn good thing, considering it now only speaks Chinese! :dunno:

Both our iPods are refurbs, and have been running daily for over a year.

I learned a long time ago that most manufacturers go all out in making sure the refurbs are spot on. I will buy a refurb before I buy new just because of this. It has never failed me!

Pull the trigger.

17. sputnik767

sputnik767

I bought a refurb iPod nano a couple years back. As I understand, at the very least, they get a new battery. Short of a few minor scratches that came with it, it works perfectly to this day.

18. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

Not normally but I have bought remanufactured parts for cars. Never a gun or anything yet. But if it looks ok and the price is right I would give it careful consideration.

19. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

As long as they give at least close to the original warranty I'll buy refurb in a NY minute.

This is another place where the extended warranty for one item pays for all the extended warranties you've ever bought. I had a notebook die after 3.5 years and they replaced it with new. Can't beat that.

I'm not sure I would buy a refurb pacemaker, but that's all I can think of.

20. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

I have bought 4 refurb PCs, three out of four have been fine.

My daughter just before Christmas bought a refurb Iphone for $50.00. She is like the Carlos Hathcock of online shopping.