Do You Agree With Constitutional Carry? 11 States Now Have It.

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Travelinman, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Travelinman

Travelinman

11 states now have Constitutional Carry. No license of any kind required.

If you are of age with no criminal or mental charges/ restraints against you.

Foreigners included. Thoughts on the positive and negatives of over 1/5 of America.

SK2344 likes this.
  2. reniram

reniram

Yes. I thought it was 13 states though. Some states like ID and WY restrict it to state residents.

Travelinman likes this.

3. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Current total is 15 I think with Oklahoma coming in November. It's definitely spreading.

In the states of Idaho, North Dakota, and Wyoming, permitless carry is only allowed for residents.

4. slamdunc

slamdunc JAFO

Is that restriction worded clearly in their statutes?

Travelinman likes this.
  5. Green Dragoon

Green Dragoon Silver Member

I'm watching out of interest. I voted undecided because I don't know all the details. In other words, is there a background check? If not, how do they know if there are any charges against the person. Lastly, if there IS indeed a background check, I suppose it isn't constitutional anymore. :headscratch:

Lt. Donn likes this.
  6. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

It would have to be.

slamdunc likes this.
  7. reniram

reniram

AFAIK ID and WY recognize carry permits from all other states, don't know about ND. MT is permitless outside city limits - don't know if that applies to all or only MT residents.

8. Travelinman

Travelinman

:flag:My 11 does not include states that require non residents to have a license for concealed carry.

I know there are more "pure" states on the way! Can we get to 50!? by 2100?:flag:

9. Bus007

Bus007

Absolutely, with zero infringement.

10. reniram

reniram

Well there is a background check when you buy a gun from any FFL. The rationale behind constitutional carry is that if you can legally own a gun, that you can legally carry it without a separate carry permit. IIRC all constitutional carry states with the exception of VT still have state carry permits which you can apply for if desired.

11. Bruce M

Bruce M

I like it when states decide what they want to do based on the majority of the state or at least what the legislature feels is the majority or the part of the electorate that are most likely to reelect them.

12. reniram

reniram

OK, got it. There are some states like NV where open carry is OK without a license, but concealed carry requires a license.

pizza_pablo, G19Tony and Travelinman like this.
  13. Green Dragoon

Green Dragoon Silver Member

Got it.....thank you. I'm changing my vote to "yes"

edit: doesn't look like I can change it.

reniram likes this.
  14. reniram

reniram

Yes, that's what the Tenth Amendment is all about. But they are not allowed to circumvent the United States Constitution, including the Bill Of Rights.

rmantoo, Travelinman and Bus007 like this.
  15. Gray Dood

Gray Dood

I vote yes.

We almost got it done in Louisiana. Bill got thru both houses of legislature but vetoed by new Dem Governor Edwards. Mainly due to influence from Dem NOPD Chief, NO Mayor, and other Dem officials.

Ass hat.

Hoping he loses in 2020 and I think we'll get it then.

16. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

I have mixed emotions on this one. I love the idea that anyone might have a gun, which greatly increases the penalty for a BG guessing wrong.

On the other hand, when I attended the day long class here to get my Enhanced Carry Permit and I saw all the people who came carrying and who were completely incompetent from not only a shooting standpoint, but also a basic safe gun handling, it really gave me pause.

The trainers worked their fannies off explaining the legalities of using s gun for self defense and then when they took them out shooting, holy cow, I was surprised nobody got shot.

So put me down for not sure.

For me it is kind of a philosophical versus practical thing. If I were king, I would probably require every citizen to attend a week long gun training course. :)

LV3, badge315, doktor doom and 18 others like this.
  17. R.B. Riddick

R.B. Riddick

18. TeaDub

TeaDub

Yep to Constitutional Carry. I try not let "perfect" and "good" be enemies of each other though.

As a nation, we have seen VAST improvements to carry rights over the last 30 or so years. I'd love my own state to join the trend. What I have is pretty darn good with a pretty low bar. I can live with that as we work toward perfect.

:cool:

AdamRodgers, tuica and Travelinman like this.
  19. sciolist

sciolist Token Progressive Sanctimonious Fudd

I do, and that doesn't mean I don't think people who carry guns should be highly proficient.

If government has to have a part in this, it would help to stop vilifying guns and spreading misinformation about them. Maybe government could start promoting the legitimate, lawful use of firearms and encourage people to develop proficiency with them in the interest of the common good.

Seems like that's more in keeping with our traditional values.

20. Travelinman

Travelinman

You are so right. NO gun control law has EVER had a positive affect. All 22, 000 would be repealed STAT in a normal world.