Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
8,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We been looking at houses lately and not a single one has had anything done since the day they moved in. One was like stepping into the early 80ties. The one today was beautiful on the outside, perfect yard, driveway, exterior was like a showcase home. We opened the door and dog pee smell on the carpet was awful, the walls had no paint left on them, it was just wore off and The house was just built in 96. Every room needed new floor and paint from top to bottom. The first house we looked at was in a perfect location and I almost fell through the completely rotted out deck. I’m at a point to say the heck with it!

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
When the water heater goes, I'm going tankless. Very tempted to gut the baths as well as they look like they haven't been touched since the place was built in '86.

Reactions: Resqu2

·
Registered
8,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Time to ask your realtor why they're showing you dumps and make it clear house needs to be safe and move-in ready?
Well we are the ones picking them out based on photos on Realtor.com so I can’t blame her. The phots just don’t show true conditions.

·
Super Moderator
2,351 Posts
So its price, always price. Want a house good in and out? You will pay more. Everybody wants a perfect house for a low cost.............they also want to win the lottery.

·
Registered
8,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So its price, always price. Want a house good in and out? You will pay more. Everybody wants a perfect house for a low cost.............they also want to win the lottery.
These places are priced and listed as well maintained. They lie lol.

·
Anti-Federalist
21,679 Posts
Mine was built in the 50's. The only update from then was the master bed/bath and the kitchen once in the 80's. I need to do the floor in the kitchen and probably cabinets. I removed the carpet in the master b/r and replaced it with laminate wood and I rebuild the wooden stairs that lead into the master b/r. I'm not dumping a bunch of money on the house as it's not the one I plan to retire in. I will maintain it and only upgrade appliances as needed.

It's my opinion that the less work done on the house the better if you are a new buyer. You don't have to peel away all the layers of different craftsman to get down to the actual structure. A lot easier to upgrade from the original than to upgrade from the last upgrade.

·
Super Moderator
2,351 Posts
These places are priced and listed as well maintained. They lie lol.
Nor sure about your area but in our MLS system we can see several photos of the home.

Suspect would be the rooms or areas not shown in the photos.

Get a Realtor that works for YOU as a buyers agent.

·
Anti-Federalist
21,679 Posts
Well we are the ones picking them out based on photos on Realtor.com so I can’t blame her. The phots just don’t show true conditions.

I had good luck with Zillow.

Reactions: Resqu2

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
We had our house built by the developer doing an entire subdivision. The only extras we requested over the base design was a fireplace and some additional outlets. I upgraded everything else such as high end light fixtures, fans, custom tile work, cabinet hardware, backyard landscaping, custom paint colors. I saved a fortune by doing it myself and some smart shopping by my wife and myself. We got what we wanted.

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
Kinda funny, the 50's look is coming back in a lot of older FL neighborhoods. Houses built in the 50's, with that distinctive 50's FL architecture, which have long been remodeled and modernized, are going back to the 50's look with the old school sinks, tubs, green appliances, terrazzo floors, tiled counters, etc.

·
Registered
12,730 Posts
That is not a great excuse, my realtor told me a few times "I have been to that it is a dump". They should know the other realtors, the kinds of properties they list, how the pictures are doctored (I could tell after looking at them a bit) and by just plain seeing them.

It is one thing to live like that, it is another to try to sell like that. I had been working on my last house and finished it all before selling. I have not done any updating to this house yet just some maintenance and yard stuff. I was tired of working on houses from the last one. I am about ready to get at this one now.

·
Anti-Federalist
21,679 Posts
Kinda funny, the 50's look is coming back in a lot of older FL neighborhoods. Houses built in the 50's, with that distinctive 50's FL architecture, which have long been remodeled and modernized, are going back to the 50's look with the old school sinks, tubs, green appliances, terrazzo floors, tiled counters, etc.

Old school tub...check.
Terrazzo....check.
Old school sink... check

Don't forget salmon or avocado bathroom tile...... check.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Yes. House built mid 70’s, new bathrooms mid 90’s, new doors for bedrooms, new slider for new back porch, new leach field, new roof,, new kitchen with new appliances, new laundry room, add mud room, expand dining room, eliminate breakfast nook, new boiler, new gutters. Next up new bay windows.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
We recently sold our house, and did some market value research before listing it. Apparently the rule of thumb is that in order to keep it at peak market value, you need to do 2-3% value improvements annually.

So, if you have a $100,000 home, you put $2000-$3000 into it every year. Sounds like it makes sense, depending on the area.

·
Super Moderator
2,351 Posts
A good realtor is a necessity. Comments from mine when looking for a lake house a couple years ago.

House 1

Never going to get a propane truck down the drive in the winter.

House 2

Got $100,000 for a new break wall?

House 3

They state has a easement coming off the lake road. They could take your access away anytime they wanted.

House 4

House is timber/peg and the windows are shot.

House 5

Yup, its on the lake, 1/2 mile to the water.

House 6

This one is perfect inside and out. Not selling because the furniture (plastic covered) is from 1960, has murals everywhere and nobody can look past it.

We did, and we bought it..............

·
Registered
672 Posts
We been looking at houses lately and not a single one has had anything done since the day they moved in. One was like stepping into the early 80ties. The one today was beautiful on the outside, perfect yard, driveway, exterior was like a showcase home. We opened the door and dog pee smell on the carpet was awful, the walls had no paint left on them, it was just wore off and The house was just built in 96. Every room needed new floor and paint from top to bottom. The first house we looked at was in a perfect location and I almost fell through the completely rotted out deck. I’m at a point to say the heck with it!
i have a house that is 160 years old. so yeah, i have to do upkeep on it. in fact, soon i'll have to call painting companies for bids on repainting the outside. that'll be fun....

all i have updated the past few years, was, new water heaters, new gas fired heating boilers, some new electrical updates, and some plumbing.

but here in my area? houses can literally be burnt out, run down, and vandalized, and they will STILL go for high dollars, as this is a Historic District, and remodeled old homes like mine, can go for as little as $600K

then the rents that the new owners get, not uncommon to charge someone a mere $2,300 a month for rent, and that ain't no joke.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts