close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Do women like the G19 or the G26?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by 92F, Jan 21, 2005.

1. 92F

92F NRA Lifer

I posed this question a couple of weeks ago, as my first posting on GlockTalk. I initially posted in General Glocking, but someone there suggested I try here instead. So here goes:

My wife bought a Glock 17 about a month ago, but now we're both thinking its too large for her to conceal effectively (she's not very big and doesn't want to purse carry).

She opted for the 17 after I told her of my unsatisfactory experience with a G19 about 6 years ago (squirrely recoil for some unknown reason).

My wife likes shooting the G17, but would like to have a smaller pistol with comparable shooting characteristics - either the G19 or the G26. It seems to me the G26's two-finger grip, short barrel and short sight radius would make it uncomfortable for most women to shoot...

What say you, ladies? Do you carry and shoot G19s or G26s?
    I very much appreciate your comments and advice.

PS.I watched the Mel Gibson movie "What Women Want" with my wife because she promised me it dealt with CCW issues. I got gyped!

2. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

Well I am not really one to talk, but I have fired GeorgeATL's G-26 as well as Actionpup's G-17 that was set up pimp gun style (that helped with the kick)......

Both were fun, and I loved their sites, but man, I have to get used to that kick.......;P

----Peach (whuss girl)

3. ashley

ashley anti roast beef

i have a G19 but i even think that is too big for a woman to conceal, well depending on how large of a woman we are talking about. the G26 is fine but i think glocks in gerenal are too wide and bulky. i have no idea what i'll carry when i get my CCW. i tend to wear fitting clothes, maybe a P11 :) or a kahr.

- ashley

4. Cat91

Cat91 Red Tabby

I used to carry a 23 but I had to tuck it in a purse.

I was toting around an L-frame 2 1/2" 686+ IWB today and it just ain't working. Too much gun for that. Back to the purse :p

Seriously, the 19'll shoot just fine. I like that size Glock-just couldn't get my head around carrying chambered and like Ashley, I think all hi-cap autos are too wide in the build. And all my LEO training back in the day was on revolvers so I have a certain comfort level with them.

Miao, Cat

5. LadyG23

LadyG23

I"m probably no help either - Mine is a Glock 23. It conceals well in cold/cooler months. I also carry (mainly) a Taurus 607 - 2 inch, ported, conceal hammer, .357. I like the revolver best - nothing complicated - point and click. (and if 7 rounds aren't enough - I'm in serious trouble!) :)

I personally tried out some of the smaller Glocks (sorry, unsure of the model numbers) - it doesn't feel right not to have a place for my pinky.

6. ubimow

ubimow

Another woman here...I carry a G23 every day but I don't dress very feminine. I wear it in an OWB holster with Jeans and a large shirt. If I do dress up, then it goes in the purse. If I were to dress a little more feminine (less baggy clothing), I would probably choose something smaller like a 26 or even a J frame revolver.

7. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Another woman here who carries a G23. I carry in a purse or "day planner" depending on what I am wearing/where I am going.

8. 92F

92F NRA Lifer

Ladies ==
    Thanks a lot for your comments and suggestions so far (and MissKitty, I read your carjack/kidnap scenario - uGOgurl!).

My wife is not large at 5'3" / 120 lbs and she is pretty much a "slave to fashion" though not the latest youth styles. "Feminine Tasteful" pretty well describes it, so she's not likely to wear a lot of bulky clothing (I guess a guy can't have it both ways - an attractive wife AND a ccw gun boat ;)...

I'm a member of several other gun-related forums, and have never had the benefit of *female* perspective from them. This is very helpful to me personally, and your healthy acceptance and appreciation of firearms in American society is a TREMENDOUS advantage to the viability of our Second Amendment. I hope each of you shoots often with at least ten other women (friends, sisters, daughters, mothers and grandmothers). Offset the namby pamby female anti-gun perspective promoted relentlessly by left media.

Thanks

9. Vic303

Vic303 Senior Member

Sorry I can't help more. but I choose to carry either a 1911, or a .357 snubbie revolver. They fit me better, and IMHO, conceal easier than a Glock.
    --Vicky

10. Jaegergirl

Jaegergirl Proud2BAmerican

i don't have my ccw yet so i don't carry but i received a g26 for mother's day with the intention of using it as my carry gun. i've never fired the 19 (or any other glock for that matter) so i can't make a comparison but i just LOVE my 26. ;a i have fired my husband's xd40 and my brother-in-law's sig but like my glock the best.

11. FoxyC

FoxyC

As the other ladies have mentioned it is more difficult to conceal a Glock. Any Glock, much less the full sized 17!

I carry the G19. In the cooler months I am able to carry OWB with a sweat shirt or a long cardigan sweater. I just ordered a SOB I hope this is an easier way to carry, not sure yet tough. I still mostly carry in my purse. This summer I plan on using the smart carry or a belly band. We'll have to see.

Good luck you.

12. SouthernGal

SouthernGal What's Up Dox?

I carry the G-19 IWB style. I usually pull my sweater over the top of it. Unless it is blazing hot outside, I'll put a jacket over the top of a short sleeved shirt during the summer.

13. Melissa Ann

Melissa Ann

I can conceal a full size 1911, a Glock 17 and a J-Frame in my pocket. But then, I'm fat, and could probably conceal a wide-body STI if I wanted to. And I would rather dress to conceal the gun(s) (jeans and a sweater or long tunic) and feel safe more than dress all sexy and pretty and not know for sure that I could defend myself if I needed to. Those smaller guns bark a bit more than full size guns. If I was going to go with a smaller gun, I'd choose the G36 - 45acp, slim-lines, almost as slim as my 1911. Great gun, conceals well, shoots well. And not as "complicated" as those dang 1911s with all the buttons and such. ;Q

Melissa

BTW, I don't think 1911s are complicated at all. It doesn't take me any more thought process to shoot a 1911 than a Glock, Ruger, S&W K or J-frame. They all just take practice. "The complicated 1911" cop-out is a teeny pet peeve of mine. It's an excuse that a lot of men say over and over to woemn so that the women actually end up believing it - that they can't possibly operate such a complicated gun - remembering to flip the safety off and all. IMO, that's hogwash. YMMV.

It doesn't matter what you carry - as long as you're carrying, and you ought to carry the largest caliber gun you can shoot well. I personally think the largest framed gun would help out immensly as well. Longer sight radious, less recoil, less muzzle flip, easier to control. Just my opinion. Oh yeah, and get training - and train with it the way you intend to carry it. Smart carry, belly band, pocket, fanny pack, purse, holster, whatever. I prefer to see folks carry "on them" rather than in a purse or somesuch, but however you carry, it'd be wise to know you can draw it and get it into action promptly.

Stay safe.

14. Melissa Ann

Melissa Ann

Ya know this reminds me of the whole high-heel thing. Women wear high heels even though they pinch their toes, hurt their feet, put them off balance (makes for easier targets for bad guys - you're not going to be able to run away in those stupid things, or kick them off very fast to get away) but dang they look nice. Form over function. Looks are most important than functionality. So now that women are starting to carry - they still want to look so cute and wear the mid-driff shirts and the ccw can't dare interfere with that. Carry SOB - just don't ever fall and land on your back-side. You'll crush your spine and live the rest of your days in pain (or paralyzed).

That mentality is just not for me. I'll carry a full size gun. Or two. And a back-up. I'll wear jeans, a sweater, sneakers or cowboy boots, a belt holster and my 1911 and a pocket holster and the J-frame; or dress slacks, long blouse, scarf, loafers, paddle hoslter and my 1911 (or G36 when I'm able to buy that).

Y'all can wear your sexy high heels, carry your teeny guns in your purses, stay safe as best you can.

baaaahhhh (off my soap box and back to silent mode)

Melissa

15. Cat91

Cat91 Red Tabby

Most of these gals are totin' a G23, Melissa ;i! That's not a teeny gun at all. And neither is Lady G's Taurus 603 or my Smith 686+ ;I .

Miao, Cat

16. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

^6 ^6 ^6

EXCELLENT POINTS Melissa Ann :)

I thought they could use repeating ;)

17. Melissa Ann

Melissa Ann

Sheesh, yesterday was a bad day - can you say hormones?? I need to stay away from the computer on certain days - I'll eat less crow that way. ;)

Sorry, I was mixing up the 23 and the 26 in my mind. Still, a 40 isn't a small caliber by any means. In the 26 frame, it would probably bark quite a bit, even though more concealable than one of the larger frames. For concealability, in the Glock choices, I think the 36 is by far the most concealable with the single stack magazine. Smaller hands will fit around it better than a double-stack too.

Take care,
    Melissa

18. 92F

92F NRA Lifer

Whew! Melissa Ann gets right down to it. Thanks.

My wife and I went to my outdoor gun club today. It was frrrreeeezing so we had the whole practical pistol range to ourselves. Shot the hell out of her new G17 with LaserMax sight (a FINE instrument). She shot the G17 really well, with and without the LaserMax.

Then we had lunch and made our way over to the local indoor pistol range, where we rented a G19. I didn't shoot it, but she sure did. Turns out the sight radius is only about 1/4" shorter than that of the G17 and the recoil is basically the same. Long story short, she decided she prefers the G19 to the G17, so she's buying one and the appropriate LaserMax too - AND BEST OF ALL, I GET THE G17 ;f Zee Hah! 'Been a Beretta man up 'til now, but I'm blessed with an open mind.

Maybe she'll graduate to .40 or .45 one day - though if she does, I'll feel compelled to puff up my chest and abandon the 9mm pistols that I've long enjoyed. Well, not really "abandon". More like, "add a few bigger siblings to the family..."

I'm so glad to read the comments of American women who understand guns and the need for guns. We lost our cable TV access some months ago, and based on a strict diet of "mainstream news" I was beginning to fear that all American women were fervent anti-gun lefties, speaking out angrily for the right to breast feed eight-year-old children in public. You here at GT have restored my faith in the common sense and strength of American womanhood.

U-GO-GURLZ!

19. ashley

ashley anti roast beef

i will, thanks ;f i would have a hard time letting anything have so much control over me that i have to start wearing clothes i don't like. a kahr will do me just fine. hell, i couldn't conceal a full size glock if i was wearing a garbage bag, i'm 5'3" and 125 pounds.

- ashley

20. SouthernGal

SouthernGal What's Up Dox?

I thought she'd find she liked this one better than the 17 or the 26. The difference in size is so minimal considering them side by side and they shoot so differently when you're "our" size.