Do We Have Anyone Else On GT Who Has Had To Switch Their Trigger Finger?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Charley C, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Charley C

Charley C

I have been so busy of late taking care of my wife that I haven't had much free time to practice with my G-34 and I'm feeling like I'm becoming slower rather than faster in getting "on target" and ready to shoot than I was just a few months ago.

I was shooting some paper targets behind the house yesterday and I noticed that I'm starting to become slower than ever in getting my trigger finger inside the trigger guard.

My main problem is........my "new" trigger finger is about half an inch longer than the "other one" used to be!

(I lost the first two joints of my R. index finger and the first half of my thumb to a power saw "mishap" a few years back), and try as I have, I have now finally become convinced that I will never be able to shoot left handed well enough to even think about it for SD.

Something else that no one ever thinks about unless they've lost part of a finger.......(and I'm not even sure if I can explain this or not, but I'll try); once part of a finger is amputated, the remaining stub "feels" different from now on out! Both of mine are perpetually "numb"; and even though my R. index finger (what's left of it), has just as much range of motion in it's only remaining "joint" as it ever did, the fact that it's always numb kinda slows all of my other fingers down when I'm trying to use them rapidly.

For a few years after the "incident" that caused my fingers to become shorter, I naturally found myself at the orthopedic surgeon's office a lot, and I noticed that almost all amputees always pay very close attention to other amputee's, especially if they have similar "parts" missing; which can be a good thing, because learning about how other people "get along" with missing parts, it's kinda helpful; I became aware early on that I was much more fortunate than the vast majority a people are who lose finger parts to mishaps. I also learned that about 98% of people have a hell of a lot more problems during the "healing up" process than I did, but so far I haven't had the opportunity to meet another "short finger" person that's also into pistol shooting. (If anyone ever hears of a forum for finger amputees, please let me know!)

2. ken grant

ken grant

3. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

Something similar, in 2005 had to switch from right side to left side as I lost sight in my right eye.
    It took me a couple of years shooting 3 gun,now I don't even give it a second thought. SJ 40

Buckshot Barry likes this.
  4. Buckshot Barry

Buckshot Barry

Ditto, I have the same issue when shooting 3-Gun on our 100 yard range with bowling pins at 80 yards and I'm using a 4x ACOG. I have to shoot my AR left handed.

I'm not sure I could pull this off with cowboy guns, but with semi's and enough will power I did it.

SJ 40 likes this.
  5. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

Howdy Barry
    Your statement "enough will power I did it." ,Is the key.
    Part of my 3 gun or is that 4 gun is SASS, #.3368 so yes both 3 gun and CAS. Adios SJ 40

Buckshot Barry likes this.
  6. holyjohnson

holyjohnson probably on theboresite.com right now.

i always enjoyed shooting strong side and weak side.
    but when my Arthritis kicks in on my right hand its a little easier for me to hold my index finger straight and point shoot with my middle finger on trigger.
    somewhat different situation then your`s but i read about it years ago in "Combat Handgunnery by M. Ayoob and it works well for me.
    it does take practice though.

SJ 40 likes this.
  7. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

I practice shooting strong and weak side...keep practice going on your weak side despite it feeling awkward it still is a skill to have. Even if your slower and more awkward and a lot more loose shooting it still is a skill to have.

arkdweller22, SJ 40 and holyjohnson like this.
  8. Charley C

Charley C

I've tried shooting left handed a few times, but it just seems so awkward and "un-natural" that I don't think I would ever trust it for SD, (which is actually the main reason I bought my G-34 to begin with)

Also.......I may not have made this clear......I have no problems at all, shooting with my middle finger.......it does the job "naturally" and quite well...... the only problem comes when I'm attempting to get it into the trigger guard, inasmuch as it so much longer than my index finger "used to be"!

I just keep practicing and practicing some more, but I really don't see much improvement in the added time that it takes for me to get the longer finger into the trigger guard.

The orthopedic surgeon I used to go to suggested that I should have him amputate the "stub" of my index finger! I told him.....that isn't going to happen.....ever! (I went through one "healing-up" period, and I sure don't want to go through another one! Not only that.....but I actually LIKE the "stub"!

For example; try "locking" the knuckle joint of ANY of your fingers, them "thrusting" ANY finger straight down, FORCEFULLY, onto a hard surface! (You can't!) partly because you can't keep all three joints of a finger "locked" when it hits a hard surface, and partly because your finger tips can't take the the stress of the blow!

With my "stub" it's a whole different story.....I only have ONE joint to keep locked; (which is EASY!) . and the "tip" of my stub? (has NO "feeling" what-so-ever!) If I ever have the need to actually defend myself.......the "other guy" better hope he's wearing "safety goggles"......

In spite of everything......I WILL keep trying to shoot with my left hand!

And thanks to everyone for your replies!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  9. Cpt.America

Cpt.America

I haven't, but a buddy/co-worker of mine lost the index finger on this support hand by slamming it in-between the bed and tailgate of his truck. Finger came right off. So his shooting hand is fine, but racking heavily sprung slides is now a bit of an issue for him.

10. Charley C

Charley C

Oh, no!

That reminds me........this morning I stopped at my friend, Dan's store down the road from me when I was coming home from hanging around all night with my wife who is in the hospital.

Dan's wife was the only one there at the time and I was asking her something about the HUGE old safe they have. The store was broken into several times a year or so ago, and one of Dan's friends gave him this huge, heavy old safe. The door of the safe was hanging open a couple of inches, and Dan's wife told me that a while back, she was reaching with her left hand, over the safe to grab a pack of cigarettes for a customer, and her right index finger was hanging over the edge of the safe; while she was "stretching" to grab the ciggies, it caused her to bear against the door of the safe, and the thing caught the end of her r. index finger between the safe door and the safe! (No "slamming", but just a little "pressure") . It didn't actually damage her finger, but she said it "really hurt like hell"!

Shortly after Dan put the safe in, the cops caught the three perps that had broken into the store twice, and all three of them are still in jail.

11. fx77

fx77 CLM

Having dealt with this problem professionally for >.35 years, many use the long finger when the index finger is stiff, short, insensate, or absent..it is called index substitution. They manage very wel, and it is a natural process.

12. 1911-Glock

1911-Glock

I know what you mean. I am a fast paced speed shooter and I notice if I take a month off I notice I'm a tenth or two of a second slower on certain shot strings. Practice as much as you can.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

13. Mike-M

Mike-M

Any worry about some small increase in the time it takes to fire a pistol is extraordinarily inappropriate for the typical non-professional (non-LEO) defense situation. That is much much more a range-toy game-boy issue.

Review all the reports you can find that have ever been published about citizen use of a firearm for defense. None of them ever contain a element where rapid shot timing mattered. It's all purely TV/movie/video gamer/gun gamer stuff! :)

14. harold63

harold63 I'm not retired

This is a good idea, but he's gonna have a 'point radius' issue. :outtahere:

Personally, I'd dedicate a couple months of as much training with your 'new' trigger finger as you can. There's a lot you can do inside your home with an unloaded pistol that will help you. It will just take some practice. Once in a while with an injury like that prolly isn't going to get it done.

15. ken grant

ken grant

Cut the pad on my trigger finger just before a range trip .
    Had already loaded 25 mags for the trip and decided to go ahead anyway.
    Good chance to try using the middle finger on the trigger.
    All shooting was from the draw and point shooting from all positions from the hip up to chin level.
    I was shooting fired shot shells scattered on the berm at 3-10 yds. and seemed to do almost as well as using my normal way.
    Had a problem drawing with just my ring finger and pinky. I kept griping in the normal way but it finally came around if I thought before making the draw

cut

16. Judcargile

Judcargile

I enjoy shooting from either side and am comfortable now with both. It does not take very long to form a habit.

17. Ripple_Effect

Ripple_Effect When one event causes a series of others to happen

If you're currently using the middle finger to activate the saw trigger, then I would stay with the middle finger to activate the firearm trigger. Probably need to be aware of too much trigger finger causing rounds to impact to right of target. If so, make the adjustment to finger placement.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  18. Cpt.America

Cpt.America

Total and utter non-sense.

19. Glock Commander

Glock Commander

The police always train to shoot with the weak hand because you might be wounded and the strong hand is incapacitated.

Look at at YouTube and Active Self Protection. In a real SD event your presence of mind should have you well ahead of the BGs.

A friend of mine, Jerry lost his trigger finger and he uses his middle finger and he shoots a Beretta M9.

20. PhotoFeller

PhotoFeller A swamp dude

Charley- My trigger finger problem is caused by nerve compression in my spine that results in thumb and index finger numbness in both hands. I can still pull the trigger with my index finger but I don't feel the trigger well enough with the numbness to trust it. I'm also unable to operate my camera's shutter release with the index finger.

I'm glad to hear that training with the middle finger works. It feels quite awkward now, but I'm sure dedicated practice will get me to acceptable functionality...eventually.

Speed in accessing the trigger isn't a concern for me. I just want gun handling to be safe and natural.

SJ 40 likes this.