Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the few matches I've entered I noticed quite a few experienced/accomplished shooters do not help pick up casings nor tape.... but they'll gladly take theirs when others hand them over.

I know some don't take home casings or leave their throw-aways, but is it etiquette for everyone to tape and pick up casings or is it a random thing? Or have the seasoned shooters earned the right not to do the aforementioned?

Or am I such a newbie that I show up early to set up, stay after to take down and pick up as many casings as possible for everyone? Is it a do unto others type thing?

·
Registered
14,887 Posts
Shooters at our matches aren't required to pick up cases. Anyone who wants them can pick them up but it isn't required. As far as taping targets goes, some people just don't want to be helpful. Keep up the good work, the range master will appreciate it.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Everyone should help out with whatever is standard for local matches. At our club, we don't worry too much about brassing but we expect everyone to tape & help setup. We understand some folks can't stay to tear down but most can at least pull a few targets down on their last stage. Folks that don't help because they are too "good" are not normally welcome most places. Sometimes they get away with being lazy mooches but they should be embarassed by it.

MLM

·
Anchora Salutis
2,165 Posts
Everyone is one their own for brass at every USPSA match I've been to (WA). But everyone who is not RO'ing, in the box, or running the clipboard should be taping and setting steel.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Shame on them for not pasting or setting steel. On another thread I mentioned it really frosts me when shooters stand around BS'ing while the same small group of people or even the SO's and scorekeepers are pasting. I've already yelled to some that we needed pasters and they better get down range if they expect to shoot.

Haven't noticed that it's the veteran shooters who are guilty. Seems to me it can be a mix.

I've helped pick up brass, but to those who do please get off the stage when SO/RO's are near to getting ready for next shooter. I've seen stages delayed for some seconds cause some are down range gathering brass. That time starts adding up to a long day for everyone. Most MD's at matches I attend now tell shooters it's a lost brass match but they are welcome to stay around to gather brass after the match.

I like one SO/MD at matches I've attended. He'll just quietly stand there till the BS'ers finally figure out they need to get down range and paste if they want to shoot.

IMHO unless you are on deck or in the hole you need to be pasting even if you're the Grandmaster PooBah.

If you live a far distance from the event I don't expect you should have to stick around and tear down, but it is nice if you stay occasionally to help tear down. And if you're not far from the range and you have the day off go down and help setup.

Also IMHO SO/RO's should keep their stages moving and not stand around to BS with a shooter or someone else about something not related to the stage. They need to realize that for some of the shooters it's a long day when you count the round distance commute.

·
IDPA MW2 GSSF
611 Posts
At our club everyone is encouraged to help out with pretty much everything.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I usually just fake a sudden case of diarrhea and make a hasty exit at the last stage to avoid having to do any extra work.

Works every time!

Just kidding. :)

·
Registered
8,621 Posts
At our club,everyone tapes and helps take down afterwards. If they leave early,their score is not posted.
+1

We don't require brass pickup and picking up your brass is when the stage does not need to be reset or other required work to be done. Your contribution is not picking up your own brass. If your squad feels you did not contribute sometimes your score sheet does not make it to the turn in. If you don't like it you are free not to come back. :)

If your squad has two ROs it is reasonable for one RO to run half and the other RO run the other half. I don't expect the resting RO to reset the stages but they usually do anyways. This is based on a ~10 shooter squad. Sometimes we will run 5-6 shooter squads to get done sooner. In that case everyone works even the on deck shooters usually but you end up with less resets overall.

·
Premium Member
22,850 Posts
I've had the fortune to shoot with Dave Sevigny, Todd Jarret, and Scott Warren at major matches on several occassions. There is no brass picking at major matches (due to time constraints), but I can assure you each of them does their fair share, if not more, to help tape and set steel.

I think it's more an individual thing. I've heard of a couple accomplished shooters copping attitudes, but it's the exception not the norm.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I only compete in NRA Conventional Pistol (bullseye) matches. Practically everybody is a reloader so folks not picking up their brass isn't an issue. And competitors are required to tape their own targets.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I only shoot USPSA matches and locally if you don't help tape the RO's will be yelling at you. If you don't help with brass pickup people will notice and stop picking up your brass. I have ROed a few Nationals and the big boys sometimes get in a race to see who can tape the most because it is a lost brass match anyway.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I shoot at the Austin Rifle Club and the club requirement for all matches is to pick up all brass. The majority of shooters do help out.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
At the few matches I've entered I noticed quite a few experienced/accomplished shooters do not help pick up casings nor tape...

That's an RO problem.

"I like one SO/MD at matches I've attended. He'll just quietly stand there till the BS'ers finally figure out they need to get down range and paste if they want to shoot".

Only I don't wait for more than a few seconds, if no one helps, no one shoots. I have walked up to the leader's of the bull-****er's, handed them the clock, and said your'e in charge, and I'm going to stand around and BS.

·
Ninja
2,788 Posts
People that pull stunts like this dont last long on my squad/club.

One tool that thought he was too cool to help got a face full of me one day. I asked him point blank, "Hey, are you gonna tape or brass?" This as I threw him a roll of tape.

He was ok for the rest of that match but went back to his old ways. When nobody would pick up his brass, he finally got "it" and apologized.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Frustrating isn't it? We have great participation, but that's due to the ROs. No, you don't have to yell, you just have to remind them that it takes a given amount of effort to reset a stage.

That effort can come in 5 minutes by 2 people or in 1 minute by 10 people, and if they don't mind waiting an extra hour to shoot, they should keep BSing instead of helping.

Now, I have been known to pick on one or two people (friends and in a friendly way) and that tends to get the rest moving. "Hey, Chris--If I can interrupt your casual chat with a bit of match related business for a second? How's about making yourself useful and tapin' a target or two?" Works every time.

Heck, Chris even bought a tape gun and now things SCREAM along...LOL

Dan

·
349 Posts
I think I've seen just as many Unexperienced and unaccomplished shooters doing the BS-ing. But like was said, maybe it's just a regional thing.

·
Registered
14,097 Posts
where i been shooting lately there are a few who pick up brass and a few who tape and a few who do nothing. it seems that way most places i go. one thing here i find frustrating is they have a few that pick up brass but i seldom get mine back while i'm pasting but they make a point to give it back to the local shooters they know.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts