Do these spent primers/brass ok?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Schrag4, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Schrag4

Schrag4

So I took a new toy out this afternoon, an AR15 pistol in 9mm with a barrel length of 8.3 inches. I put together the lower last weekend, the upper came assembled. Today since the weather was nice and since we have winter storm weather moving in, I decided to take a half day off to get familiar with the gun.

Before I took it to the range, however, I tried chambering some ammo just to test things out, and I found that ammo with a shorter OAL seemed to have issues feeding. The 9mm ammo I normally make is 125gr LRN over 4.9gr of Unique, loaded to 1.100 OAL, which is pretty short. For this test, I loaded up 30 that were loaded to 1.155 OAL instead.

I started off shooting WWB ammo. I noticed that the empty cases were very dirty. I assume this is because WWB is loaded pretty light - does that makes sense? The primers looked normal to me.

Empties_WWB.JPG

I finished up shooting those 30 reloads. The brass looked quite a bit cleaner. The thing that really jumped out at me was the primers. When I load these to 1.100 (shorter, higher pressure in theory) and shoot them in my compact gun with a 3.4 inch barrel, the primers look normal. Some of these look very flattened, more so than I've seen before, personally.

Empties_UniqueLRN.JPG

FYI, primers are S&B. So, what do you say? Does anything here look alarming? Thanks!

2. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

The ones where the area around the firing pin impact is,look like 9 mm rounds out of my 9 mm blowback carbine,which for blowback action would be correct.
    The WWB rounds are known to be rater anemic. SJ 40

3. Schrag4

Schrag4

That's encouraging to hear. This is my first blowback 9mm gun so I'm still learning. Thanks for the feedback!

4. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

Nothing looks extraordinary to me. The cases have a funky look to them, the last time I saw that kind of a pattern on cases was some 308 Win FGMM cases a guy gave me after shooting them in his BLR. Those cases never did work right trying to load them for my bolt gun, even after fire forming in my bolt gun chamber. The conclusion I came to was the BLR must have had odd shaped chamber.

5. Schrag4

Schrag4

I noticed they looked odd as well, but I suspect they'll size and load and shoot again just fine. Time will tell, I guess. I believe I've seen a similar pattern from some brass that I picked up after someone with a 9mm AR in the past. It wasn't quite the same, but it was distinctive. Those seemed to work just fine in my gun.

WeeWilly likes this.
  6. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

Yes, I agree. The FGMM didn't work as they were destined for use in my bench gun and I was looking for extreme precision shot to shot, likely nothing you would be doing with a 9mm AR. I just noticed the look of them were very distinctive, just like yours.

7. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

Looks like your barrel has a fair amount of unsupported case.
    I've seen much worse.
    Dies should iron it out.
    My 9mm carbine is not much better.

8. jmorris

jmorris

If I were to make a wild ass guess, I would think you had some amount of bullet setback issue with your reloads.

All of the factory cases look fine and the FC case on the left of the bottom photo is OK too, the FC case on the right was obviously higher pressure though. Might measure OAL of a hand full of rounds before they go into the magazine then fire one, eject one, fire one, eject one. In the end you will have half that have been through the normal operation and can remeasure them to see if they are moving around on you.

9. Schrag4

Schrag4

This is a good idea, it certainly wouldn't hurt to try. I'll do just that next time I get to the range. Having said that, before I went yesterday I did load up a dummy round at this length, with these projectiles, and I chambered it from a locked/open bolt 3 or 4 times, and it didn't seat further when being rammed into the chamber, despite being a bit hard on the bullet. BUT, I suppose it's possible that I would have different results from case to case to case, since this is mixed brass? Or perhaps even though they're all ultimately chambering, some cartridges might have a less direct path into the chamber, getting hammered on more on their way in?

10. jmorris

jmorris

Lots of variables, they just didn't look the same to me like the factory ammunition you fired.

That made me suspect your reloads were the cause of the difference and because even they all didn't look the same in the photo(3 different appearances in the 4 LC cases, to me). I just thought of one of the more likely reasons something would be different from one round to another. That's not the only thing it could be though.

11. usnret

usnret

Are you running a heavy buffer? You should be seeing as it is a blow back.

12. Schrag4

Schrag4

The buffer is made by YHM and marked "9mm". I believe that's a heavier buffer.

13. KIDCOP

KIDCOP Rifle Master Millennium Member

None of primers look like high pressure. A flat primer will not have rounded edges between the primer and the pocket. If anything to me the primers look under pressure. The brass both pics, look to me like they were fired in a dirty chamber.

14. jmorris

jmorris

You don't find it odd that all of the primers look the same in the top photo, yet the ones in the bottom photo go from "normal" looking on the left to cratered on the right?

15. Schrag4

Schrag4

To be fair, although there's a big difference between the left and the right in the second picture, if you look closely, they all have at least some dimpling out around where they were struck. The inconsistency bothers me a bit. Could that be due to varying primer seating depth or varying primer pocket tightness? This is all range pickup, some primers seat a lot easier than others.

16. jmorris

jmorris

Load the factory cases in the top photo with the same load as the ones in your second photo and you will have your answer.

17. rargos

rargos Vox clamantis

Light loads can cause cases not to fully obturate (expand to fit the chamber) and that leads to carbon streaking on the case. Not dangerous per se, as long as the load isn't so light you get a squib.

With factory ammo, I would still expect more obturation, but hard to tell from the picture.

Primer dents look fine to me : no cratering, no punch-throughs.

18. KIDCOP

KIDCOP Rifle Master Millennium Member

The second picture shows primers that appear to have been fired in an under pressure condition.

The brass still looks like a dirty chamber to me. Seen enough brass shot in a gun that needed a good cleaning. Not saying this is the case here but the brass in both pics look like it.

what I'm basing the under pressure on the cratered primers pop a primed case with no powder/bullet and see what it looks like. Especially out of a wheel gun.