Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Glock-a-holic
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So the theory goes that the new made gen4 17's does not have the recess / counterbore any more.

Can anyone confirm this?

·
20,411 Posts
Yes, they do and I would guess since about May 2010.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
That is a big loss for glock, because now they have to pay more to change springs. It suck for the customer as well, because you will have to specify the correct spring for replacement. And hope that the place you order from, sends the right one. And has them in stock.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
They are counter-bored now. Glock took care of the old non-counter bored pistols with a spring change as depicted in the chart. I have a July 2010 gen417 and it is counter bored. My earlier gen417 is not. Depending on the distributor you might get a different one by month.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
That is a big loss for glock, because now they have to pay more to change springs. It suck for the customer as well, because you will have to specify the correct spring for replacement. And hope that the place you order from, sends the right one. And has them in stock.
This is not a loss for glock at all. The customer can call glock and get a new spring. It really isn't an issue and glock is making everyone right. Glock customer service is top notch.

·
Glock-a-holic
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
They are counter-bored now. Glock took care of the old non-counter bored pistols with a spring change as depicted in the chart.
I know Glock made the counter bored models.. But now it looks like glock made a step back and that the newer models come without the recess and come with beveled-ring spring (0-1-2).

But im not sure about that, and is why a posted this question.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I know Glock made the counter bored models.. But now it looks like glock made a step back and that the newer models come without the recess and come with beveled-ring spring (0-1-2).

But im not sure about that, and is why a posted this question.
I believe you are correct. See this thread which you contributed to for more info:

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1309498

I think it is no recess in the beginning, then recess for a while, and now back to no recess.

·
Glock-a-holic
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bump & any news?

·
Registered
352 Posts
I was told that it goes by the serial number prefix. Those before PUN do not have the counterbore. Those after PUN do. Here's the complete post that I took off another forum and it seems to be correct. HINT! Owners of these guns may want to cut and paste this information into a word file and store it with your other firearms documents on your computer as I have done.

The Gen4 9mm problems have been fixed by spring and slide redesigns.

If you have a G17 with serial prefix prior to PUN, it will have a slide with no counterbore on the inside of the guide rod hole. That pistol needs a recoil spring assembly marked 0 2 1 on its rear flange. The RSA's part number is SP 08692.

If you have a G17 with serial prefix PUN or later, it will have a slide with a counterbore on the inside of the guide rod hole. That pistol needs a recoil spring assembly marked 0 2 on its rear flange. The RSA's part number is SP 08284.

Those two springs have a lower rate that makes the pistol work reliably with all factory loads from cheap training ball to +P+. In addition, the 0 2 1 spring has a redesigned front end to prevent spring bind inside the guide rod hole of the original slides (serials prior to PUN).

The original G17 spring (unmarked on the rear flange) was simply too heavy for many 9 mm loads and made the pistol's reliability a crap shoot.

I have personal experience with the 0 2 spring and it cured the occasional failures to eject that used happen to my G17 Gen4.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I just don't agree with the first line in this statement.

I was told that it goes by the serial number prefix. Those before PUN do not have the counterbore. Those after PUN do. Here's the complete post that I took off another forum and it seems to be correct. HINT! Owners of these guns may want to cut and paste this information into a word file and store it with your other firearms documents on your computer as I have done.

If you have a G17 with serial prefix prior to PUN, it will have a slide with no counterbore on the inside of the guide rod hole. That pistol needs a recoil spring assembly marked 0 2 1 on its rear flange. The RSA's part number is SP 08692.

If you have a G17 with serial prefix PUN or later, it will have a slide with a counterbore on the inside of the guide rod hole. That pistol needs a recoil spring assembly marked 0 2 on its rear flange. The RSA's part number is SP 08284.

Those two springs have a lower rate that makes the pistol work reliably with all factory loads from cheap training ball to +P+. In addition, the 0 2 1 spring has a redesigned front end to prevent spring bind inside the guide rod hole of the original slides (serials prior to PUN).

The original G17 spring (unmarked on the rear flange) was simply too heavy for many 9 mm loads and made the pistol's reliability a crap shoot.

I have personal experience with the 0 2 spring and it cured the occasional failures to eject that used happen to my G17 Gen4.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts

The PUN portion of your statement is not true. I have PSS with two gen4 17's and both have the counterbore.

·
Glock-a-holic
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So any one after PSS that dont have the counter bore?

·
Straw Dog
853 Posts
So how long until the Gen 4 9mms have the old recoil spring that there was nothing wrong with?

·
Registered
352 Posts
The PUN portion of your statement is not true. I have PSS with two gen4 17's and both have the counterbore.

Thanks for posting that. As I said I got this statement off of another forum so I can't personally confirm that it's true and now I know that it's not. :upeyes:

My own G17 G4 is a PFD which is not counterbored.

I've seen a few people post that Glock has now gone back to the non-counterbored slide but can anyone tell us for sure if that's the case? I think what's happening is that early production guns are still on distributors shelves and that's what is causing this confusion.

My own G17 Gen 4 is a good example of this. I purchased it brand new in Jan 2011 from a local gun shop that had to order it from one of their distributors. It turns out the PFD prefixes were all test fired back in February of 2010 so that means my gun was sitting around Glock and/or one of their distributors for 11 months before I bought it. That's kind of strange.

Well, I may not have the counterbore but at least I have the "old" dark black finish which (by many accounts on this forum) seems to hold up better than the newer flat dark gray finish. At least I got something good out of the deal by getting an early production gun.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts