close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Do the m1911s shoot as "soft" as a Glock m21? [recoil]

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Thirties, Jan 29, 2007.

1. Thirties

Thirties

I've shot a Glock model 21 .45acp, and it was a surprisingly soft-recoiling pistol.

What would be my expectations of recoil in a model 1911 handgun; and are the different brands of 1911 pistols different in perceived recoil, assuming same barrel length, etc?

Of course, I'm assuming similar ammo in all cases.

2. Glocks&Ducs

Glocks&Ducs

I would say the recoil on a 1911 feels a bit more stout than the G21, but not at all unpleasant. That is comparing the G21 to a SA Mil-Spec, and a Taurus PT1911B. I will say this though, a beavertail goes a long way towards taming the recoil so it is closer in feel to the G21. I felt like a world of difference in my Mil-Spec, pre and post beavertail.

3. lcarreau

lcarreau Reload Artist

the g30/g21 is the softest shooting .45 around.

-Lonnie

4. epsylum

epsylum Boolit Hoze

I own both a Glock 21 and a Glock 30. I also own a 1911 and have shot many others. IMO the 21/30 is one of the softest rcoiling .45s out there. So basically, no the 1911 is not as light recoiling as a Glock 21. It however is not bad at all. It has a bit more muzzle flip due to the higher bore axis, but nothing a good grip and proper stance cannot cure. Most 1911s however are excellent shooters and very accurate.

There is just something about the way a 1911 shoots that makes you forget about its little shortcomings. At least that was my case (was a hardcore plastic-fantstic Glock man until I had a good amount of trigger time with a 1911, now I love both).

5. 1911austin

1911austin Senior Member

I'm a 1911 guy but have to admit the G21 has the lowest felt recoil of any .45 that I have shot

6. Glockadict

Glockadict

I own a G21, and a STI Trojan in 45ACP. I love Glocks to death. My first 7 pistols were Glocks, but my Trojan is wonderful. In a shooting contest, it will bury my G21. With 1911's you have to find the one that is right for you. The weight, and the balance make my STI a pleasure to shoot. Not all 1911's feel the same shooting because they are made out of different metals. Scadnium, titanium, steel, and all different alloys. If you have a gun range that rents pistols, I would try a couple. I am fortunate enough that I work at a gun range part time, and we have Sprinfields, Para's, Kinmbers, STI's, Wilson Combat's, and many more 1911's for rent. I use a Glock as a carry pistol, and don't plan on changing anytime soon. My wife bought me my first 1911 (STI Trojan) last year for my birthday. I bought a Para 16-40 last month, and just ordered a STI Edge from Dawson Presicion today. Like Glock's 1911's become addicting.

7. AKMIKEFMJ

AKMIKEFMJ

The G-21 is one sweet shooting 45 ACP. The 1911 has a better trigger and lots of history behind it.

8. ToyotaMan

ToyotaMan

You hit it right there for me. I started out with a Glock 19 and it is a great gun, very reliable and easy to maintain and use. But I hate the trigger.

I love my 1911's trigger, but I feel like I must lovingly maintain the gun to keep it functioning properly. My Glock is like a beater truck that just won't quit.

If there was a pistol made that had the rugged reliability of the Glock and the short, crisp trigger of the 1911, I'd be set.

9. Chad Landry

Chad Landry Cajunator® CLM

I haven't tried it yet, but the firing pin stop "mod" is supposed to reduce the recoil in a 1911 considerably.

Have any of you tried it?

I put "mod" in quotes because the retrofit is supposed to return this part of the 1911 to the original JMB design.

It's a long thread, but I recommend reading it. I will do this retrofit when I get a chance.

10. AQV396

AQV396

I own both and both of them get range time and are a blast to shoot. My 1911s are more accurate in my hands but the G21 is one soft shooting .45.

11. auto45

auto45

I've shot the Glock 30 and thought it had more muzzle flip than a 5" 1911. Perhaps not a fair comparison.

A doublestack 1911, wider grip, should give you "less" felt recoil than a singlestack 1911. Heavier guns "recoil" less so I'm not sure how a Glock 21 would be softer than a doublestack 1911? But, I haven't shot them side by side on the same day!

If you hold the 1911 with a "highgrip" and thumb on safety, the muzzle rise is minimal. Low grip, thumbs down...more muzzle flip!

12. ArmoryDoc

ArmoryDoc

The 1911 has a higher bore axis and given the fact that it is a single stack, this leaves less grip width to disperse the recoil energy across the hand. As a result of these, the recoil feels a little sharper with the 1911.

I still love 'em.

13. richardoldfield

richardoldfield

Let me skirt the issue and tell a story. When I started with 1911s I preceived the violence of the slide action as recoil. I went out and bought a shooting glove and soon found the purchase to be a waste of money. After you shoot the 1911 for a while you realize it is a kitty cat. I really do not notice a lot of difference between the recoil of a 357 Sig, 40 S&W, or 45acp. When you reach the 44 Mag level you do start to get my attention. Regards, Richard :supergrin:

14. spober

spober

i can shoot a 1911 goverment better than a g21.the g21 is gonna be lighter even with 14 rounds vs 7 in the 1911.
    i always notice the blast big boom bang more than recoil in a 45 acp.my 3 inch Kimber UC barks when i fire the mighty 45 acp round.barks out of my govment model too!

15. Baba Louie

Baba Louie

I've always felt that the wider, polymer grip of the 21/30 helps flex a bit besides spreading any forces out whereas the thinner, metal grip/frame of a 1911 tends to "focus" felt force into a narrower area.

I could be wrong, but that's my perceived take on the subject. So, to me, the answer, like the others, is NO... 1911's do not shoot as soft as a Glock 21.

16. freepatriot

freepatriot Retired GT Mod Moderator

Come to South Florida, shoot mine and find out :supergrin: :supergrin: :supergrin:

17. Short Cut

Short Cut PatrioticMember CLM

A feel more recoil from a 1911 which to me is felt mainly as greater twist.

18. arnold ziffle

arnold ziffle aka dingle

toyotaman there is what you are looking for. the hk usp tactical or expert. i have an expert and it is as accurate as my les baer and runs like a glock.

19. freepatriot

freepatriot Retired GT Mod Moderator

http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=13060

I have fitted the part on the Colt. Have not taken it to the range yet. Supposed to turn a 1911 into a VERY soft-shooting gun (something I already thought it was).

20. Chad Landry

Chad Landry Cajunator® CLM

Yep, that's the one. The part is on it's way to my house, and I plan to fit it and test it as soon as I can.

Does it make the slide noticeably more difficult to pull back?