Do shows like The First 48 help criminals beat the system?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by u4ea, Mar 4, 2010.

1. u4ea

u4ea

I have been watching the show The First 48 for several years now. I've never been in trouble with the law before, so I've never had hands on experience with interrogations. It seems to me like any criminal who has seen more than a handful of the shows would have a blueprint for getting away with murder. They show you step by step how they analyze the crime scene, what they look for and things like that. The part that really gets me is when they are interrogating a suspect. They always tell them that if they talk it will help them in the end, which is a load of ****. I've seen countless episodes where they have the guy they know was the shooter, but they don't have any physical evidence on him and need a confession or they have to let him go. They will always bluff and pretend to know more than they do, or that one of his buddies has given him up. They hope to get him to turn on someone else and get the blame off himself. I think if this show teaches you one thing it's to keep quiet and lawyer up right away, especially if you are guilty. I saw one the other day where the guy was being questioned for 4 hours. They left him alone to think for another few hours, then came back in. After 6-7 hours in the interrogation room he cracked and admitted that he was the shooter. If he had kept up with his story of him being innocent he would have been released. Is this a problem to you guys? If anything, maybe it's a problem with our Judicial system.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  2. noway

noway

No it doesn't

If you look at the usual suspects, you will notice one key thing thru all interviews.

No lawyers

Yes no lawyers. These persons speaking to a detective have not execrise the one thing that in some case, could delay or prevent them from being arrested in the 1t place. "The right to remain silent "

So for the stupid ones, it ( 48hours ) will not help you.

3. hvnit2gd

hvnit2gd

No criminals are criminals because they are morons for the most part... sure, every once in while a smart one comes along, but for the most part they are stupid... The guilty will almost always show their hand...

4. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

Naahhh, Its like saying people who watch Cops or Most dangerous Police Chases will know how to outrun police.

5. u4ea

u4ea

The First 48 shows you how to cover your tracks if you really watch it. Cops shows nothing but people getting busted for petty stuff like drugs or a burnt out tail light.

6. u4ea

u4ea

I used to really like the Memphis episodes of The First 48, but I heard that they decided not to allow filming any longer since it made the city look too dangerous.

7. adamg01

adamg01

Don't admit to anything is common sense which most don't have. What surprises me about the first 48 is that it is always a minority. I have seen maybe two episodes were a white person was the perp. I am surprised the NAACP doesn't have their panties in a wad about the show.

8. Adams454

Adams454

The criminals aren't sitting at home watching cable tv. They're out at their lair doing criminal stuff. Most of them probably don't even know that show exists.

9. u4ea

u4ea

I watch older episodes on YouTube. There's a guy on there who has damn near every one! His name is TheSameOldRock or something. People comment in a lot of them about how "racist" the show is. I have noticed the lack of white people as suspects, but look at the police. A vast majority of the officers on the show are also black or another minority. If it was nothing but white cops arresting black people I think the NAACP would get involved, but what can they say when 2 black cops are interrogating a black suspect?

Just from watching 5 episodes, someone would learn that you need to avoid witnesses, retrieve your shell casings and be able to provide a solid alibi. It's amazing how many of them go 0-3 in these regards.

10. The AmBASSaDEER

The AmBASSaDEER

I love the show! I do not think it helps the crims

11. hvnit2gd

hvnit2gd

Where do most crimes occur? Possibly the inner city? What group predominantly occupies the inner city? Nuff said... not racist, just the facts!!!

12. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

Yeah, I have to go with the consensus here, it doesn't help them in any way.

Criminals aren't sitting around watching "cerebral" teevee and even if they did, they aren't taking notes. Murderers aren't often caught because of some long multi-link chain of small evidentiary clues that eventually lead to the guy whose mask you pull off at the end of the cartoon.

Murderers are caught, usually, because they are suspects from the get go and either they rat themselves out during the interrogation or someone else rats them out during the interrogation or the manhunt.

It isn't rocket surgery. Teevee doesn't help people "beat the system" of evidence since, often, evidence is ancillary to the actual arrest and prosecution.

13. void *

void * Dereference Me!

Does it show you how to cover the tracks left by you covering your tracks?

14. u4ea

u4ea

I don't know. :wavey:

15. 220-9er

220-9er

The show is on A&E so I doubt most of their suspects watch that channel.
    If they did they would learn to ask for a lawyer & burn the car. Removing shell casings, wearing gloves and not talking to the victim on your cell phone are optional but recommended.:rofl: Also, .380's seem to work as well as .45's if you hit someone in the right place.
    The majority of these cases are not really planned murders. They are mostly lesser crimes that escalate or are crimes of passion to start with. Besides anyone that would kill someone because they got "dissed" or over a bag of weed, crack, etc., isn't real smart to begin with.

16. Hyksos

Hyksos

I wouldn't be so fast to suggest criminals don't know about it. 3 6 Mafia has a song called The First 48, so I'm guessing they know about it.

17. WarCry

WarCry

They usually show (concurrently) two investigations covering periods of 48 hours (96 hours of investigation, total) and condense it down to 1 hour total, maybe 30 minutes per investigation.

I don't think they show EVERYTHING on how scenes are investigated and documented, let alone their work tracking down leads, etc. They show the flashy, climactic, 'ah-HA!' moments.

It's like assuming that Top Gun shows you how to be a fighter pilot.

Excuse me, 'Naval aviator..."

18. Marine8541

Marine8541 iseedeadpeople

Does watching MMA make one an expert fighter?

19. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

Duh. Where do you think all the fat guys wearing Tapout clothes at the mall get their skillz?

20. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

Does buying a sniper rifle make you a sniper?

No.

:cool: