close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Do plugs really crack the frame?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by whitey4311, Feb 23, 2010.

1. whitey4311

whitey4311

I already know about the plugs debate of why some like and dont like. I used the schere slug plug a for a while but I hate how it sticks out flush to the mag because if your palm hits it then the mag wont fully seat.

I have a 21sf and tried the jentra but it didnt fit very well but now I saw pearce has one out so thought I would give it a try. Mainly I want it because if you mag change quickly the top round in the mag tends to get caught on the frame. The area inside the mag well where there is that half circle cut out grabs the rim of the top round and the mag hangs up. The stupid plugs fill that space and even it out so the mag slides in smoothly.

I read from a member here that he installed a plug and it cracked the frame right by the lanyard hole so now I am hesitant to try another one.

So what have you guys heard? Not much comes up in a search about this so I am guessing its a small issue if any.

2. proheromk1

proheromk1

I run one in all of my glocks. Mine haven't craked nor have I ever heard of any cracking.

3. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

I too have never heard of any Glock frame cracking because of a plug. What did the "member" use to put the plug in? A sledge hammer??

:headscratch:

4. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Never heard of a plug cracking a frame!

5. mlk18

mlk18

Nope. The plugs I have seen are made of polymer that is much weaker than a Glock frame and would conceivably break first.

6. BleedNOrange

BleedNOrange Go Vols

7. whitey4311

whitey4311

OK, guys thank you. I ordered the new pearce brand for my 21sf and hope they fit nicer then the jentra brand. The jentra left a lip inside the mag well area and the rim of the first round in the mag still caught on it. I ran a match with out the plug and had a few times where the mags would hang up so it robbed me of some time.

As for cracking I have no idea how it could happen but I saw the members post and PM'ed him. I reports that it cracked when he inserted it but being this is the internet maybe all things arent truth? All the guys I shoot with have them and they thought I was crazy as well but I thought I would ask a larger audience here and see what is up. When I ran a search the only post I found was that same guy who I PM'ed so I realize this isnt an issue. As popular as these plugs are I cant imagine we wouldnt hear about issues of them cracking frames by now.

8. BOOSTED12A

BOOSTED12A two in thepink and a stump in the rump

i got a plug off of evilbay. it didnt fit verry well, verry loose. i took some heat to the plug and flexed it out so it want loose. im happy with it so far

9. gusbuster

gusbuster

I got a couple of Glockmeister plugs for my 22 & 19, and they fit very well, but I'm hesitant to get one for my 26 because it doesn't have a lanyard hole and soeone said theirs was popping out during recoil.

10. Pygmalian

Pygmalian

Mine fits perfect, never had a problem.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Hairy

Hairy

Never happen

12. 9mmXRAY

9mmXRAY IDPA MW2 GSSF

Pearce is better it doesnt stick out any and removes easily. I have never heard of a slug cracking a frame.

13. W4CNG

W4CNG

All mine are in with no issues...

14. oISHUTupNrocKIo

oISHUTupNrocKIo Glock Lover

The plug would crack before the frame would.

15. samurairabbi

samurairabbi Dungeon Schmuck

There is one past instance of a specialized plug causing frame problems.

Some years ago, a heavy metal plug was marketed under the name "Seattle Slug". It filled most of the length of the backstrap void, and was pushed as a combination plug/recoil-taming device. Unfortunately, it was found to distort the flex pattern of the frame; this altered flex pattern caused cracking in many of the frames in which the Seattle Slug was installed.

The Seattle Slug therefore died commercially, but the story lives on and, I believe, has been associated with ALL plug types, even the light ones that fit at the bottom of the backstrap void.

16. Diesel_Bomber

Diesel_Bomber

Put a dab of black silicone on your 26/27 plugs before insertion. My first one lasted a couple hundred rounds and fell out, second using silicone has many thousands of rounds on it and has stayed put.

17. gsdrulz

gsdrulz

Just under 2K rounds with this no issues to date.(g23) Came with the gun so not sure what make it is.
    [​IMG]

18. Lurkus Maximus

Lurkus Maximus

19. whitey4311

whitey4311

That is ther one i used for a while but seating the mag can be an issue since the plug sticks out even or further then the mag. My pearce plugs from glockmiester will be here tomorrow and i hope the fit better then the jentra but at least they will sit flush and not mess with mag changes.

20. viniglock

viniglock