Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Oh yeah, they work......we do all sorts of testing, non-nuclear of course, but they will work. Frankly, the way in which a nuke works is quite simple, it's the engineering of the darn thing that is the problem.

·
Registered
27,088 Posts
Hold my beer while I test mine......

·
Banned
600 Posts
There is always Iran we could tests them or sell them fools some duds and sit back and laugh at them try to take theirselves out again. Like getting our pallets of cash back in a good way.

·
Registered
24,005 Posts
Oh yeah, they work......we do all sorts of testing, non-nuclear of course, but they will work. Frankly, the way in which a nuke works is quite simple, it's the engineering of the darn thing that is the problem.
This is what my great uncle was doing before he retired. I’m pretty sure they will go bang.

·
NRA Life Member
29,350 Posts
When several countries are all shooting missles at each other at the same time - does it really matter if a few don't work?
It certainly matters if that one or two was aimed at me.

;)

·
Mentally Frozen
28,565 Posts
Bomb, bomb, bomb--bomb, bomb Iran?

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Tritium decay might cause a much lower yield than expected, but I am willing to bet it would still be big enough.

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
Tritium decay might cause a much lower yield than expected, but I am willing to bet it would still be big enough.
We take care of that long before it becomes an issue.

We're doing LEPs (Life Extension Programs) on the stockpile, big one on B-61 and W76, probably others in progress, I don't keep up that closely now. Don

Edited to add, this from a DOE link.

LEPs on:
W87-1
B-61 7/11/12
W84-4
W76-1
W88 ALT 370
These LEPs are done long before problems start occurring, they're done to help ensure problems don't crop up. Don

·
DEPLORABLE ME!
11,942 Posts
My understanding is that the Plutonium pits and Enriched Uranium forgings can develop voids in them because of alpha decay. Eventually they will need to be reforged.

Rumor control states that 15% may be duds.

Reactions: Westexas

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
My understanding is that the Plutonium pits and Enriched Uranium forgings can develop voids in them because of alpha decay. Eventually they will need to be reforged.

Rumor control states that 15% may be duds.
Sounds like BS to me. Worked them at Sandia National Labs 1990-2007, NEVER heard anything like that and I had access to the people who design them. Don't believe what you hear from most sources. Don

1 - 20 of 177 Posts