close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

do NOT loan tools!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by geofri, Feb 4, 2010.

1. geofri

geofri Poikilotherm™ Lifetime Member

We have had these threads before.. Just don't do it.

Lesson learned for the final time.
    Just got my favorite screwdriver back from my roommate, totally stripped and gnashed up.

It was 11 years old, my grandfather, who died of MS a couple years ago had bought it for me. Had the interchangeable bits in it.
    Some of those screw drivers were cheaply made, not this one. held up better than the others ive had. it had a square handle which i really liked too.. I dont see many with that feature.

Just a screw driver.. but come on..
    :steamed:

2. Glocker08

Glocker08

I'd say your roommate needs to buy you a new screwdriver,and a good quality one like the one you let him borrow, even though the sentimental value of it can't be replaced. That is just not cool at all.

3. Blinky

Blinky Rocket Surgeon

Learned a good lesson there, too bad about your Grandfathers screw driver though.

Unless they are really close friends, I don't loan out anything that would make me mad to not get back.

4. mike253

mike253 NRA - IWLA

Even "just a screw driver" is still YOUR screw driver. I learned long ago that not many people will respect your things the way that you do (tools, clothes, etc.,) so I pretty much refuse to loan anything to anyone.

I cannot remember a single time that I did not regret loaning a tool, a toy, clothes, etc., to anyone when/if it was returned. That list of mistakes includes everyone from friends to immediate family.

5. viniglock

viniglock

What I have learned of things that you do not lend:

1) Your Money (unless you are bank secure collateral on it and or willing to give it away)
    2) Your Guns ( this is one is never under any circumstances)
    3) Your Cars ( If you do, I will see in Judge Judy show)
    4) Your Wife (if she likes the borrower she may not return)

6. George Tucker

George Tucker George Tucker

Best way in the World to have a issue with Relation or Friends, is to loan them Money or Tools.

7. oly884

oly884

This is the reason why I only loan things that I do not put significant value on ($ value or sentimental value). Too many times I hear stories of things like this happening, so it's far easier for me to simply say no unless I won't miss it if it never gets returned or is broken.

8. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

Could not agree more. I own Snap-on, Mac, Cornwell, and Craftsman tools. I never loan out tools. If my tools get used, they are being used by ME.

:cool:

9. Ronaldo

Ronaldo Ancient Member Millennium Member

Once you loan something, it doesn't feel like your own again, even if you get it back. Especially true of things you care a great deal about.

I would rather give it and never get see it again...

Ronaldo

10. FullClip

FullClip NRA Benefactor CLM

I'll loan out tools and stuff to a very few trusted family members and a couple friends. So far I've had good luck, and in some cases, the stuff comes back in better condition than it was when it was loaned. (except for a staple gun that came back to me full of grease when my weak handed brother-in-law thought it would make squeezing the handle easier...:upeyes:)

And when I borrow anything from somebody else, I always make sure it goes back in good shape, with a full tank if it's gas powered, or at least a flat of beer as a "thank you" present.

11. Tx-G30

Tx-G30

never lend out books, especially if they belong to a series...

12. Spence

Spence

I had this lesson absorb long ago as well. I used to feel selfish after I quit loaning tools, now I just feel wiser.

13. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

I'll jump on the "Never loan anything you're not willing to give away." wagon.

When a friend or family member asks me for money I give it to them. If I get it back, well, super! If not, I didn't expect it back anyway.

When someone asks me to borrow an item I give it to them. Same as above. If it comes back in shabby shape I just remind them that it belongs to them and they should probably fix or replace the item if they intend to use it again.

14. Kith

Kith

Definitely have had bad luck in loaning out books. They always come back messed up, or have corners folded on pages. Girls are especially bad with this in my experience ( no offense, just my observation)

Tools are actually not a problem for me in the lending department. The few friends i've kept around really do care, and will treat them better then they treat their own.

I have a run of (hand) tools that are beat to hell, and if something needs to be done that could damage them, that's what we use.

I'd never lend a gun to anyone if it was going to leave my sight - but if we're shooting them i'm happy to hand it over for a magazine or two.

15. shotgunred

shotgunred local trouble maker

You never loan out your tools, guns or your wife.

Because if you do they will come back screwed!

Just be qlad it was a screwdriver and not your wife.

16. BEER

BEER bad example

i've got a 6 foot tall craftsman tool box full of high quality stuff, craftsman, snap-on, mac, and dewalt type stuff. those are MY tools, if you touch them i will break your ******* hand.

i also have a 3 foot tall craptastic tool box full of cheap chinese crap from harbor freight and flea markets. those are the loaner tools. if you don't like the quality of the tool i loan you you can go buy you own.

i understand that sometimes it's easier running across the street to borrow a hacksaw than it is to drive into town to the hardware store, or you only need to make 1 cut or something like that. so i don't mind loaning tools but i'll be damned if i'm gonna loan you my good tools for you to "forget" you borrowed, or screw them up, i make my living with my tools.

17. okie

okie GT Mayor

This:supergrin:

18. SheepleNoMore

SheepleNoMore

:goodpost: I'm not as organized, and don't make my living with my tools; but have my good tools that I will not lend and the el-cheapo's I'll loan. I may go over with my good tools and take care of what needs done if it's reasonable. I do have exceptions for those people I know take care of their own tools as well or better than I do. They use the proper tool for the job and don't abuse the tool. We will loan the few tools the other doesn't have and work together when it is a 2 or more person job.

19. whitetiger7653

whitetiger7653 NRA Life Member

I learned and abide by a good rule for tools. If the tools need to go I will come with them. Not only does this insure the tools are not ruined, it spreads good will with me loaning my time and expertise to those who could use it.

Most people appreciate your time more so than the tools.

20. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

What I could never understand is what kind of girly man doesn't have their own tools. :dunno: