close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

DO NOT BUY Glocks w/Ambi mag release!

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by dougader, Mar 13, 2010.

1. dougader

dougader

When I went to buy my 21sf, I knew the ambi mag release had been a problem for others here on GT. So I looked for the CA version of the 21sf that did not have the ambi mag release. But I couldn't find one, so I just got one because they were hard to find anyway and this one had a cool serial number, too: Mxx 001.

Well, just this past week I was cleaning my 21sf and a part fell out of the inside of the gun. It was a part related to the ambi mag release. And now NO mags will stay inside the gun.

So I called Glock tech service dept and spoke with John. He said they could fix it and send it back... but they were having quite a few problems with the ambi mag release and were not even making them that way anymore.

Option 2 was what I wanted with one exception. They can turn my gun into an sf model with a standard mag release. Here's the catch: they can't just alter the frame for the fix. They have to replace the frame... and only the frame. So now I will have a different serial number on my new sf frame and my old serial numbers (Mxx 001) on my slide and barrel.

It pi**es me off, but I would much rather have a functional gun with solid lock up on the mag release than keep running into this problem over and over.

I guess I could have argued with Glock more... because this will hurt resale value for sure. But I don't plan on selling this so I guess its not a real big deal to me....

But my recommendation when shopping for a new Glock is: DO NOT BUY! any gun with the ambi mag release.

2. ronin.45

ronin.45

I didn't care for the Ambi-release or the Pic rail on the first SF's. I was glad to see they went to a normal setup after a short time.
    Sorry to hear about your problem. At least Glock is making it right.

3. AK47Man

AK47Man Expert Marksman

My 21SF has the ambi release and pic rail. Never had any problems with mine. Love the gun and it shoots awesome.

4. lxAsTrOxl

lxAsTrOxl

Same here.

In regards to the OP, i'm sorry to hear about the issues you had. But, i wouldn't go as far as to tell everyone not to get the ambi release 21sf. it's worked flawless for me and i enjoy having ambi mag release as it helps me release the mag quicker since my thumb can't always get to the release, i use my index finger and i can't complain about that!

5. Just1More

Just1More

The 21sf ambi with picatinny rail is the best looking Glock.

6. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

You need to do a bit of searching,......there are 45+ members here that have posted having issues with the ambi.

7. 2740dmx

2740dmx

Well shoot....

Here i was all hatin' on those ambi-cut magazines, and how poorly they fit my G27.... and now you are telling me that the actual ambi-release sucks too...

Can we just go back to what works.....

hey, the lefties have already adapted to our righty world..... don't confuse them.

8. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

OP: I cannot speak to your particular issue with the new ambi-mag release verses the old, but as far as your serial number concern.

I don't know about gun dealers and what not, but if Glock in Smyrna, GA, receives ANYTHING OR PART returned to them with an original Glock serial number on it, and they have had a recall and or even issues with a certain common glitch relating to it, then Glock will replace that thing ro part and it will have the original serial number stamped back on it plus
    maybe a notation relating to Glock Inc. that it is a replacement of the original.

Glock is really good about that sort of thing. Sorry to hear you are having issues, but at least it's a Glock, and in every last one of my experiences, Glock Inc. has always addressed and fixed any/all operational problems to the satisfaction of their gun owner(s). Good luck.

9. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

The lefties? What are lefties? :dunno:

Oh wait! You mean those wrong handed people don't you? Gotcha! :thumbsup:

10. Bello

Bello America/Italia

i have no probs with my 3rd gen 21sf ambi pic rail

11. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

I don't know why so many manufacturers feel the need to put the serial numbers on slides and barrels anyway. :shakehead:

12. 21Glock

21Glock

Make that 46 members. I was shooting my Glock 21 SF with the ambi mag release yesterday. All types of loads, hot, mid-range and mild. Every time I pulled the trigger, mag dumped out on the ground.
    I don't mind shooting single shot handguns, as long as they are made by Thompson Center, NOT GLOCK.
    Per Doug's advice, I'll be calling their HQ in Smyrna, Georgia, tomorrow a.m. about 25 miles from my front door and getting this fixed ASAP.
    I love my Glock 21SF, just not it's mag. dumping!

13. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Sorry to hear of that 21Glock.
    I would suggest you request the either replace the complete firearm or be aware you may be in the same boat as the op.
    Nicely explain your concerns and they should take care of you.

14. rezin777

rezin777

First time I laughed out loud today. Thanks!

15. Fred G

Fred G

I have a 21SF with the ambi release and standard Glock rail. I have fired several thousand rounds through it with 4 Glock magazines I have had no problems.

16. Giggity-Giggity

Giggity-Giggity Giggity-Goo!!!

What part was it? Magazine catch spring? You can always pick one up at Glockparts. Done!

17. 21Glock

21Glock

I'll opt. for the replacement of the frame as well. I like the 21SF frame. Just not the mag. dumping. I wonder if I have another 21SF frame with a standard mag. release if i could still use my current mags. or would I have to go to the earlier version of the 21 mags.

18. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Ambi mags will work with either frame

19. matteblack

matteblack

Agreed, love the picatinny rail. Dont care for the ambi, but I deal with it.
    MB

20. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Sure wish you could get the picatinny rail WITHOUT the ambi release

Last edited: Mar 14, 2010