Do movie theater security guards need guns? NJ judges say no

Discussion in 'Gun-Control Issues' started by 4Rules, Sep 26, 2018.

1. 4Rules

4Rules

Six years after a gunman killed 12 people and injured 70 more during a shooting at a Colorado movie theater, judges in New Jersey say cinema security guards have no need to carry firearms. A security guard at a local movie theater applied for a carry permit, which was approved by the borough police chief. A Superior Court judge sitting in Elizabeth, however, denied Calvin Carlstrom's application in February — a decision that was upheld Monday by an appellate court panel. Carlstrom worked as a security guard at an AMC theater and applied for the permit to carry a gun in June 2016. He listed his occupation as a security guard for Global Security Services. He submitted several endorsements, certificates for firearms trainings and a letter from Global Security's director of operations that noted his job duties would include "protection of life, as well as cash transfers in the theaters." The letter from John DeVino also noted that "large amounts of cash" are moved across the theater, and that theaters have been identified as "soft targets" for terrorists by the Department of Homeland Security. Carlstrom's application was approved by the Roselle Park police chief in October 2016, but Judge William A. Daniel denied the application without a hearing. In his denial, the judge noted that Carlstrom did not establish "justifiable need" to carry a gun. "Applicant failed to establish that he, in the course of his described employment, will be subjected to a substantial threat of serious bodily harm and that carrying a handgun is necessary to reduce the threat of unjustifiable serious harm to any person," the judge's decision said. The appellate panel on Monday upheld the ruling that employees of private security companies do not have "preferred right by virtue of their status to obtain a permit to carry a gun." In order to meet that standard, the panel said Carlstrom would have to provide certification that he was "subject to a substantial threat of serious bodily harm," and that carrying a weapon is "necessary to reduce the threat of unjustifiable serious bodily harm to any person." In its decision, the panel said Carlstrom had not established a "justifiable need" to have a gun as part of his duties. The panel also disagreed with Carlstrom's argument that he was denied due process because he was not given a hearing prior to the denial. The panel said hearings are only provided for people who have had their applications denied by the police or local superintendent for approval. In a situation like Carlstrom's, they are entitled to an appeal. Carlstrom also argued that the denial violated his Second Amendment rights. The appellate decision noted that the New Jersey's permitting process is compatible with gun rights. "We cannot conclude that the Amendment or the Court's recent decisions require this state to dismantle its statutory scheme addressing the risks of misuse and accidental use in public places devised long ago and developed over many years," the decision says.
    http://nj1015.com/do-movie-theater-security-guards-need-guns-nj-judges-say-no/

KUETSA likes this.
  2. KUETSA

KUETSA

Only police need guns - nobody else needs a gun.
    If a life threatening situation arises - dial 911 - police will be there soon.
    In the mean time - shelter in place.
    Vote democrat - only the police and military will have guns - the way it should be.

3. Ovid

Ovid

and reason #614 why N.J. is a sh%t-hole.

4. alnicoG22

alnicoG22

The movie theatre company in my town hired me and other LEOs several years ago, when Batman came out, to be armed security. Arkansas ain't New Jersey.

glock1097, agtman and Glockworks like this.
  5. Glockworks

Glockworks Thank God for Prez Trump and VP Pence!

I think wherever that turd Judge resides and works, they need to be total gun free zones, for all, to include the baliffs and, of course, the judge.

Gun free zones are proof that the liberal mind is not fully formed, or is deformed.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  6. retsgt

retsgt

and govenor murphy just signed (june 3) additional laws making it more difficult to obtain a carry permit as a civilian. More expensive too: $400.00 if I'm not mistaken from $50.00! I live in Ocean county. Our local theater contracts our township police department for its security.

7. Glock45Lover

Glock45Lover

My bad, I had this down as reason #615. I'll make that change immediately.

Glock Commando, agtman and Ovid like this.
  8. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Now there is where you get a case to take to court to say that NJ's permit system is arbitrary and capricious and they should be required to issue a permit unless the government has cause not ot (shall issue).

pgg00 likes this.
  9. BigBluefish

BigBluefish

No doubt ISIS and/or the next Aurora theater shooter wannabe will take note of this little nugget of judicial wisdom.

MEMO: .Do NOT go to the movies in New Jersey.

shadowgunner9 and Uncle Don like this.
  10. ACE31

ACE31

Agreed also save your money and buy a broken firestick.lol

AGF0526 likes this.
  11. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6

Each justice or judge of the United States shall take the following oath or affirmation before performing the duties of his office:

“I, ___ ___, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will administer justice without respect to persons, and do equal right to the poor and to the rich, and that I will faithfully and impartially discharge and perform all the duties incumbent upon me as ___ under the Constitution and laws of the United States. So help me God.”

No speakie Yinglish????

Shall
    not
    be
    infringed....

glock1097 likes this.
  12. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

His mistake was not being rich or politically connected. No problem getting a permit in those cases.

13. naughtymoose

naughtymoose

Yea well I recall standing in line to see the movie in a state I will not disclose and the theater was searching people before allowing entry. I was legally carrying concealed and so was my wife. We left quietly before submitting to an unlawful search.

Lets think it was the threat of people smuggling in movie candy purchased at Walmart instead of paying the inflated prices. I wont back down and be searched for no reason. Do you really think the minimum wage mall police are going to protect your loved ones?

Maybe you believe voting is more important than those who count the votes.....

shadowgunner9 likes this.
  14. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

I have been searched and they missed the gun. I was legal but unaware they were searching. BTW cheap lock back knives are great to get past searches. Distraction.....

15. Ricky Bobby

Ricky Bobby

And nobody cares in New Jersey - civilians are not allowed to carry guns! Find me actual "common citizens" who have applied for, and received, a carry permit in the last year, who haven't spend a couple hundred thousand on their local representatives campaign. Only paid political elites and the cops are allowed.

*Yes I am aware there are about a couple hundred people in the state who get them issued for security guard contracts (my buddy told me 539 permits TOTAL were issued in 2014 or 2015), but they are allowed for carry on duty and during work hours only.

Which is why the NJ police ranks will never admit how infringing the laws are to civilians in NJ, because they are exempt from everything, "perk of the job" I'm sure most of them call it... And thus is how the Democrats buy power in that state. That and they use the police and state pension systems against people (why would you not vote for us, so and so with an "R" next to his name is going to take your pension!)

I left that hell hole, and many many thousands others (estimated 1M people have left the state in the past 8 years), and am much better off down here trying to keep the South free.

Glockworks likes this.
  16. thewitt

thewitt

I hear hockey pucks are the new defense against an active shooter. I hope at least the guards have hockey pucks.

17. WT

WT Millennium Member

I think it is obvious what is driving this.
    The intent is to provide off duty and retired officers with a supplemental income.
    The police unions pressure the legislators and judges not to issue permits.
    If you want armed guards, hire a cop.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  18. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

"Anti-gun, because. . . guns."

That's what the judgement should have simply said to be more accurate.

19. pugman

pugman

Jersey was a crap hole before the article came out it will be long after this article is forgotten.

The real burning question is why is James Holmes still alive.

20. theblaze

theblaze

Pretty sure we're well past that now!