Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been watching the shield arms mag tests and actually been fairly impressed with feeding reliability but I’ve seen multiple instances of factory mag releases being torn up in about 200 to 500 rounds or so.

So I purchased their Metal mag release but I got to thinking if it tears up the other way it could possibly tear up with a metal release my factory mags. Now I do know that there are other manufacturers make metal releases for factory mags so I’m assuming that doesn’t happen, but I wanted to check with you guys as I’m sure many of you have first-hand experience and could confirm.

And also anybody’s experience with their shield arms S 15 mags would be fun to hear about.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
It don't seem to me that any body who have that setup is having any problem but hopefully they will chime in, I to are waiting to get some or at least two of the 15 rounder mag, I watch for the email every day but until then I will keep reading of those who are testing these out.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I’ve been watching the shield arms mag tests and actually been fairly impressed with feeding reliability but I’ve seen multiple instances of factory mag releases being torn up in about 200 to 500 rounds or so.

So I purchased their Metal mag release but I got to thinking if it tears up the other way it could possibly tear up with a metal release my factory mags. Now I do know that there are other manufacturers make metal releases for factory mags so I’m assuming that doesn’t happen, but I wanted to check with you guys as I’m sure many of you have first-hand experience and could confirm.

And also anybody’s experience with their shield arms S 15 mags would be fun to hear about.
Thats the same boat I’m in. I just picked up a 43x and going to get some shield mags when the 3 pack and mag release come available. Just have a concern of the metal release tearing up the factory mags So hopefully someone will chime in I want to be able to run all the mags I have s15 and factory

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It don't seem to me that any body who have that setup is having any problem but hopefully they will chime in, I to are waiting to get some or at least two of the 15 rounder mag, I watch for the email every day but until then I will keep reading of those who are testing these out.
My key to getting my email was signing up for a notification under the single mag option. I was signed up under the three mag and release deal and they were not sending me an email when they came in. Then I heard that they were in, but I didn’t get an email, so I went back and signed up under the single Mag and received an email almost immediately. This was on 21 February when they were in stock. They said mine should be here by Monday night.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
I guess I'm going to find out. I only use polymer releases in my Glock pistols, but I've just purchased PSA glock compatible AR lowers with metal releases, so I guess I'll find out.

Reactions: halfmoonclip

·
Banned
6,833 Posts
...the magic of Glock's design; plastic rubs on plastic, steel rubs on steel.
That ignores the greater technical and engineering expertise possessed by aftermarket hucksters and web experts, compared to the rank amateurs at Glock Ges.m.b.H. :)

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Even my somewhat used G42 mags are showing signs of wear, and the mags at Glock shoots look dinged around the mag catch.
As a pp suggested, spares are a good idea.
And Mike-M, nicely played; I almost decorated the keyboard with morning coffee. ;)
Moon

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
I don't really want to start an argument, for Glock magazines are the world standard in many regards.
But the poly/metal combination arguably makes the mags thicker, and prevents SIG's trick of stuffing 10 rounds in 6 rounds' space. A steel mag/steel catch would also seem a more durable solution.
Realize that mags are 'consumable', but in some coming bad time, we'll want keep our full-cap mags.
Moon

·
Registered
7 Posts
I won’t say I believe Shield’s claims that metal mags tear up plastic mag catches . Through my experience in 12 yrs of being a dealer and instructor. I can say the majority of pistols on the market have metal mags and plastic mag catches. Also many AR’s run magpul mags with metal mag catches. Also my duty weapon at my primary job is a S&W M&P 9 which all have the plastic catch and metal mag combo and we run through many mag changes. So unless Glock is using subpar polymer in their mag catches(which I know they are not) then this is a made up problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
What handguns have plastic catches and metal mags as OEM?
Moon
Well As I stated all Smith&Wesson M&P pistols for starters(my current duty weapon). Along with any AR running Magpul or any other poly mag. Also any metal mag catch pistol running aftermarket poly mags with no such complaints. Also I do believe many Taurus pistols use poly catches and metal mags. Also HK, also Ruger SR pistols(maybe be a few more of there line also). There are plenty other also but I don’t wanna make a list that im uncertain of. Either Shield is wrong with their claims. Or Shield mags solely have the problem, or Glock polymer mag catch’s are inferior polymer. I won’t even begin to guess which of the 3 is the correct answer. I will let you know after my 43X mos arrives for my personal carry/backup pistol and I get a chance to run a few thousand rounds through the Shield mag with the OEM release.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well As I stated all Smith&Wesson M&P pistols for starters(my current duty weapon). Along with any AR running Magpul or any other poly mag. Also any metal mag catch pistol running aftermarket poly mags with no such complaints. Also I do believe many Taurus pistols use poly catches and metal mags. Also HK, also Ruger SR pistols(maybe be a few more of there line also). There are plenty other also but I don’t wanna make a list that im uncertain of. Either Shield is wrong with their claims. Or Shield mags solely have the problem, or Glock polymer mag catch’s are inferior polymer. I won’t even begin to guess which of the 3 is the correct answer. I will let you know after my 43X mos arrives for my personal carry/backup pistol and I get a chance to run a few thousand rounds through the Shield mag with the OEM release.
Hey I just got a 43x thinking about buying the shield arms starter kit what do you think about it after testing it out?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts