close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Do-it-yourself Webhosting

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Furant, Jan 15, 2007.

1. Furant

Furant Millennium Member

All, I started thinking about this after reading a thread on creating a website. Recently, I've been playing around with a WAMP (Windows, Apache, MySQL, PHP) server and getting my feet wet with Flash and Coldfusion. I want to try out some dynamic pages and want the power to be able to try different things and get others' feedback. I might even try to host for some friends and family VERY SMALL businesses.

However, currently I have a middle-of-the-road ADSL connection, but I'm guessing that might not be the best thing to use due to the asynchronous (slow upload) portion. I would imagine minimum traffic to the mostly text and flash-based pages (modest sized images, as well), but that's just a gut feel.

Do any of you host your own websites? Do you use a standard DSL or cable connection? Is it more cost-effective to use a hosting service that specializes in this stuff?

2. Toyman

Toyman

I host my own via ServerBeach. I have a dedicated server. It's spendy, but hosts many websites and is as fast as I need. I have a couple friend's sites on there as well.

3. js_gresham

js_gresham Where am I? CLM

Without getting into a debate about the hows and whys, the first thing you need to do is check with your ISP. Many ISPs have restrictions in their TOS/AUP that seek to prevent you from running a public-access web server behind their DSL or Cable Modem equipment. That aside, many of them enforce it by restricting traffic on "common service ports".

If your ISP is cool with it though, be absolutely certain that you have security first on your mind when running WAMP. I won't say it's a bad combination, but be wary of the well known MS security holes.

Personally, I have my webserver running on a fiber connection (I live in a Verizon area and have their FiOS service). Unfortunately, you have to have a business plan with static IP addresses or you get locked out of running servers. (go figure).

ADSL is probably fast enough for your purposes... but if you have a popular site (like Glocktalk, for example), it probably won't be a big enough "pipe".

For just a personal site, you'll probably do just fine.

My 2c.

4. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

My ISP (CenturyTel) blocks inbound port 80.

5. Cassius

Cassius

That is not true. I run about 30 websites from a dynamic-IP ADSL connection.

6. Furant

Furant Millennium Member

Thanks all. I found this site (http://www.dslwebserver.com/) that has helped provide me some of the details. I was reading through the Bellsouth.net terms of service and there doesn't appear to be anything preventing me from hosting a website.

I think I might also switch to a LAMP server before I go live for security and stability sake, as well as to minimize the OS overhead requirements.

Thanks again for the help.

7. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

you can have a domain and a dynamic ip - i use this free service:

http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/

8. nathanenge

nathanenge

I have a normal dsl line as well which gives me only 512kb upload. But i've had no problems serving my own site. I am on dynamic IP as well.
    It doesn't change much as long as I don't drop and renew the IP in the router. My ISP also blocks 80. So I just redirect to 8080. It took me a long long time to figure out at first why the site wasn't working, then I read somewhere that my ISP doesn't allow port 80.

I use XAMPP which is close to WAMP. It is an easy install. Just portfoward 8080 to your webhosting computer's ip. And thats it.

I am running apache, php, and sometimes mysql if I need it. All is prepackaged in the XAMPP download.

9. js_gresham

js_gresham Where am I? CLM

Nah, I was talking in the context of the fiber connection I have.:thumbsup:

I did the same thing before I switched from dsl to fiber.