Do-it-all bike?

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by c5367, Jul 22, 2005.

1. c5367

c5367 Esq.

If you could have only one bike for street riding, general hooliganism, track days, and maybe even some club level racing, what would it be? Let's assume money is not a concern.

I'm thinking the Ducati 749 might fit the bill. Granted it wouldn't be the most comfortable street ride, but a Sargent seat might alleviate some of that.

What would y'all get?

2. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Aprilia Tuono Factory. It's a full-on race replica with raised handlebars for confortable riding position and better leverage through tight twisties and chicanes.

3. c5367

c5367 Esq.

I was actually looking at the Tuono yesterday. Did your come with frame sliders from the factory? The one I saw had them installed.

4. c5367

c5367 Esq.

FN
    Another quick question, have you ridden the 04-05 Brutale?

5. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

The Tuonos come with factory sliders (white color). And yes, I rode the Brutale. Beautiful, sexy machine but if I were to want to ride an in-line four, I'd go Japanese. BTW, do you know that the Suzuki boys helped out with MV Agusta's engine designs?

PS The Brutale is a very nice handling bike, but it's geared more sport riding than track/race. Naturally you can race/track anything, but some bikes are more oriented toward it than others.

6. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Two others up for consideration: Ducati Monster S4R and Triumph Speed Triple. The Monster S4R is quite of a capable Duck on the track. I'd take this over the 749 for a general purpose bike. The Sargent seat may help your ass on the 749, but nothing will save your wrists from the awaiting torture of prostrating on that bike.

Those damn Italian racers are so extreme with the position that I couldn't even reach the clip-ons (Ducati Superbikes, Aprilia RSV, MV F4) because my fat belly would get in the way.;P

7. c5367

c5367 Esq.

Thanks for the info. The S4R is definitely on the list. I'm currently on a Monster 620. It's a great little bike, but a little lacking in power. The think with the S4R is that I'm not sure if I like the busy engine area. I think Ducati could have done a better job tidying things up, a la the Brutale. Then again, the completely raw unfinished look does have some appeal that really keeps with the Monster theme. The second sticking point would be racing. The 996 engine would put me in the same class as the latest greatest liter bikes. Needless to say, i don't think it would be too competative. They are awesome bikes, and there are plenty of options for my chronid tinkeritis. There's a guy in the local Desmo club that has a couple K invested in his. Carbon everywhere, STM slipper, full Ti Arrow exhaust, PCiii, Ti open clutch cover( I love that dry clutch rattle!), öhlins front and back, steering damper, just the works. In that trim, the S4R would be a helluva surprise to the local squids on their Gix-6.

I didn't know that MV enlisted Suzuki. Now there's an interesting tidbit. The Brutale is just gorgeous IMHO. If only it weren't a I-4.

Thanks again for the feedback. BTW, did you get the Tuono back?

8. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

The S4R has the old 916 engine and not the 996/999 engine. None of these Italian V-twins are going to put out enough power to be competitive with the Jap liber bikes though the Speed Triple would have a chance. And the new Speed Triple also has a very competent chassis to go with the power as well.

And no, my Tuono is still in the shop going on the 4th week waiting for a handful of freaking ball bearings and bushings for the rear wheel. At least with Ducati, parts availability isn't a problem.

9. c5367

c5367 Esq.

10. g30rsv

g30rsv

1. Tuono R

or

2. Honda 919

11. MStarmer

MStarmer In Jail...

But the guys on the board here seem to think the ZRX does it all and for a pretty decent price (they run $8K new).

http://www.zrxoa.org/

12. epsylum

epsylum Boolit Hoze

For me, it would have to be Japanese. I don't have the dough for those fancy euro bikes.

Parts are no problem with the big 4.

So my list would be.

Anything SV
    Anything DL
    Anything with the words "Bandit" and "1200"
    Anything FZ
    Z-1000
    ZRX-1200

oh yeah and a Busa.